Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else ever pick up their acoustics and then think about selling all your electrics?

dem00n

I love both, but given the choice, I prefer acoustic. Number one, I am a better acoustic player, and number two, I tend to think there is just something more "honest" about an acoustic guitar, if that makes sense. Once I learned how to Travis Pick, I knew that acoustic would forever be my forte.

Yeah, I have thought about that at times. There is something austere about that idea that I makes it attractive to me too. If I were deserted island bound you can bet I'd pick my acoustic to take with me. And I can sit down with the acoustic and my voice and go for hours. Not saying anyone would want to stick around a listen to it that long, but I can definitely relate to the purity of that approach. [thumbup]

No, I never want to sell my electrics.

Yes, you are the only one I've ever known to feel this way.

There are times, however, when I am reminded that I played acoustic for many years prior to picking up the electric....

[thumbup]

I think each guitar and guitar "shape" has its own personality that not only brings something to one's playing, but also that brings something different out of the picker.

The only "types" I don't play fairly regularly are my 12 and AE Ovation nylon "Country Artist" that dates back to the '70s when I got "matching" steel and nylon AE Ovations. Still have 'em both.

I'm not sure what you'd call the 175 or the similar size and very similarly-shaped AE Epi PR5e, but those tend to be most played, and I've solid, semi, another archtop and a bigger acoustic body.

OTOH, I started on nylon fingerpicking and although I've done my share of flatpicking, still mostly fingerpick regardless of style. So AE offers a compromise so I don't have to bang on strings or worry about miking.

m

Archived