Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Special II

JamGuy

Hi all, I needed this like a stick in the eye but I picked up a like new Epi Les Paul II for $100... I'd love to mod it out, that's the plan. Does anyone have one they have done any mods to and want to share photos? I'm thinking of making a custom pickguard for it... anyhow, there's a bunch of stuff I'd like to practice doing on it, like installing a nut, and maybe some routing... I'm pretty handy with tools so I'm not too worried about friggin' it up. Anyhow, I'd love to see some pictures or hear ideas if you have them.

-JG

On black friday, I bought a spec II with the same reason in mind. To mod and hot rod and do all sorts of experiments. And if I fork it up, what the hey, it was a cheap guitar. But I have gotten a Spec I with P-90s since and that will become my project git.

As for the Spec II, I think it's going as a trade-in when I get my next GAS attack - ES339 or Lucielle.

Congrats on the new guitar!

The holes for the stock bushings are 8mm. Not sure what is out there that is a direct fit. I do think there are some but I don't know what they are.

I replaced the stock tuners with Grovers on my grandson's. I enlarged the holes to 10mm to accommodate them.

I also did the same thing on a Jr. that I'm rebuilding:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76854-beater-guitar-part-2/

specialheadstockback.jpg

Also, replaced the nut with a Graph Tech. Added GFS mean 90's, a Gotoh bridge and a pickguard:

LPSpecial.jpg

Willy

Whoa !!!!! I missed that thread Whitmore !!!!!!! Isn't there a nice long thread of LP Jr mods ???? Can a tech smart member link it ????

The the O.P., I modded some; they were all stolen......They make great modding platforms though.........

Looks really nice so far Willy! I have a similar theme in mind though I'm still tossing around some ideas. I'm thinking it will be easiest to try and find tuners with posts as close to 8mm as possible so it'll be easier to keep things straight and aligned... my worry is that I won't get the tuner holes files perfectly centered. I've found a few possibilities that have 8.75mm posts so that will eliminate a lot of extra filing. I was actually thinking of going retro and trying some white round buttons... we'll see what I can track down.

Isn't there a nice long thread of LP Jr mods ???? Can a tech smart member link it ????

Damian,

Not quite sure which one you are referring to. I do believe there have been a few.

Brianh did one that is a favorite of mine back in Oct of 2010:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56660-kids-todaymods-complete/page__p__763266__hl__%2Bkids+%2Btoday+%2Bjunior__fromsearch__1#entry763266

Might that be it?.....or...

Are you suggesting to JamGuy to look at the list of mods to Juniors and Specials in the DIY? (there are several)

DIY

JamGuy,

You might be interested in that one as well. Brian added a Bigsby not to mention some other very interesting work.

Willy

Well, I got all the parts ordered today... cost me a little more than the guitar itself but the whole thing with the guitar and new parts is still in the $250 range which isn't to bad. It should be a screaming little axe when it's together. I went for the Gotoh white button tuners to give it some low-budget style... I think they'll look cool and they'll likely still be an improvement over the stock tuners as far as performance in concerned. I've got my fingers crossed that the parts will all work together. I'm going to hold off on the killswitch for now... it's likely not something I'll use much anyhow, just figured I'd save that project for another day. I'll update with some pics once the guitar and parts start rolling in. Cheers, JG

I've got a LP Special II I'm working on, too. I went with CTS stacked pots so I could have a volume and tone for each pickup without having to do any routing or drilling. Planning on using an Epi Explorer GT neck with the Flying V headstock and block inlays, and probably GFS pickups. I was kinda thinking about an unusual pickup combo- mini hum in the bridge with a P90 or standard-sized hum in the neck.

I've got a LP Special II I'm working on, too. I went with CTS stacked pots so I could have a volume and tone for each pickup without having to do any routing or drilling. Planning on using an Epi Explorer GT neck with the Flying V headstock and block inlays, and probably GFS pickups. I was kinda thinking about an unusual pickup combo- mini hum in the bridge with a P90 or standard-sized hum in the neck.

Sounds cool... yeah, they seem like sweet little guitars to hot rod, mines supposed to arrive here Monday and the parts later in the week. I'll keep everyone posted...

Or single coil in the bridge, standard humbucker in the neck....

marauder-01.jpg

B)

Congrats on the new guitar!

The holes for the stock bushings are 8mm. Not sure what is out there that is a direct fit. I do think there are some but I don't know what they are.

I replaced the stock tuners with Grovers on my grandson's. I enlarged the holes to 10mm to accommodate them.

I also did the same thing on a Jr. that I'm rebuilding:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76854-beater-guitar-part-2/

specialheadstockback.jpg

Also, replaced the nut with a Graph Tech. Added GFS mean 90's, a Gotoh bridge and a pickguard:

LPSpecial.jpg

Willy

Hey Willy,

I'm curious about that pickguard...is that something you made or did you find it somewhere?

Hey Willy,

I'm curious about that pickguard...is that something you made or did you find it somewhere?

JG,

You want the long story or the short one?

The short one is yes, I made it....sort of ....kind of...

Long one?

Bought a Gibson style pick guard. Used it as a template to make one out of construction paper.

Marked (on the construction PG) where it needed to end to miss the volume knob. (cut off mark)

Again, used the PG as a template. Traced the end curve onto the construction paper to match the cut off mark.

When the construction paper one was perfect...it became the template for the back side of the pick guard.

Get the idea?...

There is a bit more ( the pickup spacing is slightly different) but I don't want to bore you. Mostly Dremel, file and sandpaper after that.

I did slightly modify the bracket.

Willy

JG,

You want the long story or the short one?

The short one is yes, I made it....sort of ....kind of...

Long one?

Bought a Gibson style pick guard. Used it as a template to make one out of construction paper.

Marked (on the construction PG) where it needed to end to miss the volume knob. (cut off mark)

Again, used the PG as a template. Traced the end curve onto the construction paper to match the cut off mark.

When the construction paper one was perfect...it became the template for the back side of the pick guard.

Get the idea?...

There is a bit more ( the pickup spacing is slightly different) but I don't want to bore you. Mostly Dremel, file and sandpaper after that.

I did slightly modify the bracket.

Willy

No, no no, I'm not bored at all... I was hoping to install a pickguard on mine as well so this is all very helpful. I was also considering mounting it flush with the body as an option. I think it looks great. I've never had to mod a p/g before and I'm a little nervous. I have a guard I can practice on w/ the dremel which is probably an idea worth exploring. [thumbup]

I was also considering mounting it flush with the body as an option.

That seems a popular option for many who add a PG to a Special II.

(From a thread in the DIY in the Epi Lounge):

cutawaypickguard.jpg

Naturally the proper way would be to set up a jig and have a router table...etc...etc.

I don't have that kind of setup and was not going to the expense for one pickguard.

That is why I use the construction paper template and the Dremel.

Once the paper PG was a perfect fit I scribed it on the back of the PG. I used a sharp scratch awl.

The trick when cutting it down is not to cut too close to the line with the dremel.

Once within about 1/8" I took my time and did the rest with a file and sandpaper as mentioned above.

Takes a bit longer but hey, it's a one time shot.

Willy

That seems a popular option for many who add a PG to a Special II.

(From a thread in the DIY in the Epi Lounge):

cutawaypickguard.jpg

Naturally the proper way would be to set up a jig and have a router table...etc...etc.

I don't have that kind of setup and was not going to the expense for one pickguard.

That is why I use the construction paper template and the Dremel.

Once the paper PG was a perfect fit I scribed it on the back of the PG. I used a sharp scratch awl.

The trick when cutting it down is not to cut too close to the line with the dremel.

Once within about 1/8" I took my time and did the rest with a file and sandpaper as mentioned above.

Takes a bit longer but hey, it's a one time shot.

Willy

yeah, likewise in the tool department... I'm working with a dremel and assorted hand tools and files. It sounds easy enough... I just need to keep p a t i e n t and things should work out fine. Thanks Willy

Well, here it is! I was wondering what it would be like stock/out of the box so I spent some time with it. It needed a set up but I was able to get the action pretty nice with a simple bridge adjustment. In case anyone's wondering about it as a stock instrument, it definitely will benefit from upgrading the tuners and electronics. The pots felt great but one was already a bit scratchy. The pickups were OK but not what I'm looking for really... I have some generic Alnico II humbuckers that I may swap out these ceramic ones for. I may keep the ceramic bridge pup and use the Alnico II in the neck...we'll see. The burst is a little crooked in one spot and the overall look of the thing is one of a beginners instrument... no surprise there. Overall, it's a pretty decent guitar for $100 despite some cheap components and kinda sloppy finish work... nothing I wouldn't expect though and I think it'll all be fine.

Should be fun to get this reworked and see how it sounds and plays them. The rosewood board is really nice and dark and the neck felt great, and I was wondering it maybe it was dyed? Anyone know? Anyhow, here's a look at it before I stripped it down to nothing. One shipment of parts is supposed to be here in a few days so by the weekend things may begin to take shape. Til' then, cheers. JG

epiphonespecialii.jpg

I'm kind of getting a wild hair to attempt a refin on the body... now having said that. I have a few questions.

1) What are the chances I could pull of a reasonably nice refin never having done it? I was thinking of trying the Reranch cans. (Inca Silver body, and just leaving the black neck as-is. I think it would look OK and save me from having to refin the neck.

2) So the process (as far as I can gather) goes something like this... strip, sand, seal, primer, sand (how many coats?)... paint, sand, paint,sand... (how many coats?)... clear coat, sand... (how many coats?)

3) Given my, hmm...how do I phrase this, failure to spray paint anything without f'n it up... I always seem to get runs, am I biting off more than I can chew here?

I've watched a few vids and reviewed the process from a few different sources (including reranch) and it seems like I might be able to follow whatever directions there are but I'm wondering, realistically, if I"ll end up with a nice finish the first go-round.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this idea? Feel free to talk me down off the ledge, or push me over it...

I'm kind of getting a wild hair to attempt a refin on the body... now having said that. I have a few questions.

1) What are the chances I could pull of a reasonably nice refin never having done it? I was thinking of trying the Reranch cans. (Inca Silver body, and just leaving the black neck as-is. I think it would look OK and save me from having to refin the neck.

2) So the process (as far as I can gather) goes something like this... strip, sand, seal, primer, sand (how many coats?)... paint, sand, paint,sand... (how many coats?)... clear coat, sand... (how many coats?)

3) Given my, hmm...how do I phrase this, failure to spray paint anything without f'n it up... I always seem to get runs, am I biting off more than I can chew here?

I've watched a few vids and reviewed the process from a few different sources (including reranch) and it seems like I might be able to follow whatever directions there are but I'm wondering, realistically, if I"ll end up with a nice finish the first go-round.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this idea? Feel free to talk me down off the ledge, or push me over it...

Animalfarm and BlueEpiphone among others have done this successfully, Greg wrote THIS tutorial on how he went about it.

Hmm...very interesting. Sounds like it's do-able but I may not get far on the project this time of year... the pacific northwest is not known for optimal painting temps or humidity levels this time of year (or until June for that matter). I need to think about this more and see if it's really worth doing. The Special II burst is pretty cheesy and will grate on me for all eternity... perhaps I'll just go ahead as planned with assembling things and wait until spring/summer to reconsider the refinish.

Archived