Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD R8 Plain Top VOS

nitefly

Hey all,

Went to the music store today as I wanted to see the new Custom Classic with baked maple. They only had two left in ebony (was after a GT). They also had an R8 which I asked to play but had no intention to buy. Ended up walking out with it that I liked it so much. Completely, spontaneous purchase but I am happy to have gotten my first custom! [biggrin]

Can anybody help me identify the year it was made? Serial 801726

Anyway, in staying with the usual tradition pics are enclosed.

Nitefly

post-33893-058534700 1326583663_thumb.jpg

post-33893-013378200 1326584027_thumb.jpg

post-33893-082618100 1326584050_thumb.jpg

Many thanks all for the comments.

Tom, thanks yes that helped. I had a feeling it had been in the shop for a while.

Bigkahuna, yes it was perhaps a little too spontaneous for the bank account, but you only live once right! [biggrin]

I was actually saving up for a Tone King Metropolitan but could of been persuaded to get one of those new Classic Customs, as a smaller set back to getting the amp. However, the Tone King will have to wait for a while now....

R9, coming from you that is a worthy compliment! A very slight flame but I am perhaps a little similar to you, in that the guitar has to have it all ... looks, feel and tone. I prefer flame tops and if I am to be totally honest it was evident that this guitar had been in the shop for while as it has some showroom scars. These two factors where a put off but I fell in love with the tone and feel and that is the real reason why I got it.

Congratulations, the R8`s in my opinion are as as good as it gets.

I had a similar experiences:

1 - Whet to my local store for a new Pedal

2 - As they had a Custom Shop fret less wonder out, used it to test the Pedals

3 - When playing it, they asked, "whats my dream LP"

4 - 2 months later I pop in to buy some bits and there it is, in their glass cabinet

5 - Now its my number 1 guitar

So glad they asked the question!

[thumbup]

Yaff, thanks for the response! Great story, I really like the fretless wonder and would love to have one someday. Although, I will have to force myself to wait now until after I have bought the Tone King. [smile]

Swearly, thanks yeah, that's kind of what I told my wife, the guitar made me buy it. [biggrin]

Archived