Gibson Brands Forums

How versatile Is a les paul prophecy EX?

Classy-ness

I was wondering If the Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul EX (2012)

Prophecy Series Homepage

unofficial wiki's specs for the new lineup

is ONLY capable of playing Metal music or can it also pull off stuff like

Sum 41 (punk)

or

Linkin Park (nu-metal)

or even the occasional blues rock

type of music???

also

Is the Les Paul Tribute a better deal for this kinda stuff???

Epiphone Tribute Les Paul

Any Help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

:)

Dude, you can play anything with anything. Although a full hollowbody guitar would be a little more prone to feedback in an overdrive application, another guy asked this same question. With the right equipment, you could play just about any kind of music with just about any kind of guitar. Either one could probably be used, just have to be aware of the controls on the guitar a little more than usual, i.e., can't keep everything "dimed" all the time.

Hmmmm.........IMHO, the Tribute is a much better guitar..............

IMHO, the Prophecy can do most styles O.K.................

Like Matiac says, any good guitar can sound good when played well.........

( ie, I can play V.H. "Eruption" on my banjo; sounds great [scared][blink][drool][wink] ).........

That official site seems to be outdated, it features the old Prophecys.

Here are the new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZTUfDJz14&feature=youtu.be

Also, it's been mentioned, but your sound depends on your gear more than it depends on your guitar. Do you really think ALL those professionals would use EMGs if they were only capable of ONE tone? [rolleyes]

Buy the one you like the most. Out of all three, I'd think the Prophecy GX would probably be the most versatile. You could probably get the tones you want out of the EX but you might have to go through 18V modding or something (always should be done with EMGs IMO). The Tribute also seems to be a great guitar, I really wish I had one to be honest (I wish I had a Prophecy too but whatever [tongue] )

But the question is: Do you also want to play Metal? If you don't, why buy the EX when it is designed with metal players in mind?

That official site seems to be outdated, it features the old Prophecys.

Here are the new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZTUfDJz14&feature=youtu.be

Also, it's been mentioned, but your sound depends on your gear more than it depends on your guitar. Do you really think ALL those professionals would use EMGs if they were only capable of ONE tone? [rolleyes]

Buy the one you like the most. Out of all three, I'd think the Prophecy GX would probably be the most versatile. You could probably get the tones you want out of the EX but you might have to go through 18V modding or something (always should be done with EMGs IMO). The Tribute also seems to be a great guitar, I really wish I had one to be honest (I wish I had a Prophecy too but whatever [tongue] )

But the question is: Do you also want to play Metal? If you don't, why buy the EX when it is designed with metal players in mind?

Man I'm in lust with these new Prophecy's!! [drool]

My account balance is quivering with fear though. [scared]

The GX models are just beautiful to look at, and the sound...!

To die for!!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup] "Go Epi"

Paul

Some people would be so bold to say that Epiphone exceeds Gibson in inovations, and new ideas. I believe it was Epiphone who first came on the scene with the "Mini Humbucker", so, like uh...there ya go! And what's weird is they tried a 2 octave Les Paul before (the Les Paul Baritone) that didn't really fly, then they come out with this Prophesy (sp?) series, and lookie there, a winner!!!

Thanks guys

I really like the finish and just the overall styling on the EX midnight sapphire and Midnight Ebony vs the Gx sunburst and red..

Also someone asked why I even looked at the Prophecy series because they are metal guitars....I didn't know actually and also I was planning to fit EMG's into a squier Telecaster but people on the telecaster forums said a Les paul was a better idea.

Another thing is the Ebony Fretboard...I have a friend with a rosewood one on his yamaha and it's pretty darn hard to slide on at all

Thanks guys

I really like the finish and just the overall styling on the EX midnight sapphire and Midnight Ebony vs the Gx sunburst and red..

Also someone asked why I even looked at the Prophecy series because they are metal guitars....I didn't know actually and also I was planning to fit EMG's into a squier Telecaster but people on the telecaster forums said a Les paul was a better idea.

Another thing is the Ebony Fretboard...I have a friend with a rosewood one on his yamaha and it's pretty darn hard to slide on at all

From what I've seen the EX mightbe the choice for a metal player but the GX sounds very versitile with the 490/489 pups and the coil splitting. I, for one, am lusting after the GX in Black Cherry! [love] Cheers,

Dude, you can play anything with anything.

A thousand times this^

As a matter of fact, there are a few blues players who prefer EMG pickups.

Key points about EMG pickups: they are very clean, and so often described as 'artificial' sounding. This works well with metal because they are super quiet and accurate. Most people like a little bit of dirt ground into their sound though. [wink] They are also very high-output - so with full volume they will overdrive just about any amp - another boon to metal.

If you ever do use EMGs, I highly recommend either using EMG-X pickups, or standard ones running on 18V - standard EMGs at 9 volts are notorious for having a fair bit of compression happening in the pickup - which isn't that great for clean tones. [thumbup]

I personally have a first-gen Les Paul Prophecy EX and it's a truly superb guitar. Literally flawless. I have of course done my best to correct that in the time since... [rolleyes]

That said, I did swap the pickups around - the EMG 85 just sounds so sweet in the bridge position. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived