Gibson Brands Forums

How to identify a counterfeit Gibson

gibsonfan

How can you not tell that goldtop fake the headstocks not right and the back should

be a hell of alot darker look on the gibson website the goldtops back is going towards

a dark black

The Goldtop pictured is a genuine Gibson. THAT WONT be the guitar you will get! The headstock picture is the best one!

Flight959

RichCI how would you feel if I accused you of being a counterfeiter just because of the place you live in? Obviously he is going to be defensive and rightly so.

Oh and by the way, Asia is BIG. Huge. In fact its the biggest continent in the world. Singapore is a tiny and very sophisticated city-state in Asia with very high standrads of life compared to its neighbours as well as very strict laws. You can get fined 5000$ for spitting on the street.

Think New York, but without the crime and the filth.

Im not trying to dis you, or flame you or whatever, I just think its not fair to judge people offhand.

There are some astoundingly good copies being produced at the moment. One company (based in China) is selling some of the limited run Gibsons for $180 plus post... Now' date=' this company is [i']Definitely Not[/i] trying to pass off it's guitars as anything but copies

If they're selling "limited run Gibsons" then they're trying to pass them off as Gibsons. It's counterfeiting and trademark infringement. Your attitude that copies have their place in this world is not appreciated here, and in fact the thread and your comments should be shut down.

So here's my opinion: Pippy is wrong; Gibsonfan is rude. Plenty of other people have politely asked if a particular guitar they're buying looks right, and they've posted pictures or links to it. On the other hand, the original poster here has asked a naive blanket question that should have been answered by doing a search and a little reading. Once we suspect that there isn't really a specific guitar in question, it's reasonable to think that maybe the motives aren't the purest in asking. No matter, you aren't going to get your answer in this thread.

Seems like you have a toleration problem.

You must be cracked up both of you!!! You are suspicions because someone's location is Singapore????

You don’t belong in this forum man....thats racist comments!!!////

No, those were prejudice comments, not racist, so you better just keep your own prejudice in check as well. You said you're an American living in Singapore so, for all I know, you might be white, black, asian, hispanic, or just about anything else but it doesn't really matter to me; saying you're "American" says nothing about race. You could be some white business guy contracting to have counterfeit guitars made in a factory located somewhere in Asia to ship to the US; after the way this thread has gone, I no longer believe that to be the case but I don't think it was an outlandish assumption either. But, I apologize to you for making you upset nonetheless.

RichCI how would you feel if I accused you of being a counterfeiter just because of the place you live in? Obviously he is going to be defensive and rightly so.

Oh and by the way' date=' Asia is BIG. Huge. In fact its the biggest continent in the world. Singapore is a tiny and very sophisticated city-state in Asia with very high standrads of life compared to its neighbours as well as very strict laws. You can get fined 5000$ for spitting on the street.

Think New York, but without the crime and the filth.

Im not trying to dis you, or flame you or whatever, I just think its not fair to judge people offhand. [/quote']

No worries, InBlack, I understand your comments and you make a very good point. I'll admit that his location definitely had an impact on my assumptions but, more than that was that after he joined the board, the first thing he asked about was counterfeit guitars. If he started a topic about anything else, I wouldn't have even given his location a thought.

I wonder if the counterfieters aren't trying as hard to make 100% correct copies as we think they are. It seems to me the information of the details necessary to pull that off is readily available anywhere. Wouldn't you think there are real Gibson's available in many places in the far east? If not then you'd think these counterfieters have people in the US that can get them the info. Either way, it would be pretty easy to get ahold of one and study it or take pic's. I think the "mistakes" that they make are because of their cutting corners to keep their fakes cheap. They probably had to have a real one in the first place to get the actual dimensions from. I'm just not sure they care if they only get them 80% correct. Where they would cut corners is the finish, construction method, wood, hardware, etc..

These are my thoughts and are open for discussion.. I may be way off. I'm not trying to start a flame war... just a discussion.

I think our intention of keeping info away from counterfieters is good and maybe we have sent some away without any but I think our best service is to keep people from getting burned. We do a good job of that.. Mostly you all, I'm still learning.

HP

My Dear rd_artist' date='

FYI, Singapore is the country in Asia that fights Counterfeit goods with server actions, its where you are at this moment that the great American Customs are letting national counterfeit historical goods like (GIBSON) enter the country like everything is just fine, and why?? because you gave to China complete control of you national goods production.

This is a forum so I ask my questions, you must be smoking too much dope lately, GO quick...... seek for help..... man; you are living in a world of Suspicion!!!

I Own one Original Gibson SG Standard that I purchased when I was 13 ok, so don’t come long suspecting me of being a kind of smuggler or what so ever, I am American and I live in Singapore, so get to your books and start educating yourself you retard.

[/quote']

Here is the thing, we have had people come onto the forum asking a very similar question that were only asking the question in order to gather intel so they can try and fool the unsuspecting better. I'm sure you're not a counterfeiter based on the way you responded or you are very clever. Usually the counterfeiters run and hide when they get called.

I think our intention of keeping info away from counterfieters is good and maybe we have sent some away without any but I think our best service is to keep people from getting burned. We do a good job of that.. Mostly you all' date=' I'm still learning.[/quote']

That was the intent of my posts. Being blunt and instilling a bit of fear/doubt into the guy who's maybe thinking about buying one of these "copies" is the best way to get the point across.

Archived