Gibson Brands Forums

Converting an SG Standard 2001 Humbuckers to P90's

Angellus

I'm thinking of converting my SG Standard 2001 dual humbuckers to a dual P90

the SG has the large scratchplate that the pickups mount onto so my first initial thought is find a scratchplate with P90 holes

has anyone ever completed this conversion?

Good luck with HB-sized P90s. I tried several including SD Phat Cats, Rio Grande Bastard/Fat Bastard, and BG Pure90s, and while they all had their pluses, none really sounded as good as even the regular ol' Gibson P90s that came in my Classic.

I think I've read on here before that that the routes in the Standard are not sized for P90s either, so that means routing.

That's why I just went ahead and traded my Std for a Classic and couldn't be happier.

I'm thinking of converting my SG Standard 2001 dual humbuckers to a dual P90

the SG has the large scratchplate that the pickups mount onto so my first initial thought is find a scratchplate with P90 holes

has anyone ever completed this conversion?

I have thought about doing the same thing...however now that the standards are going to be made with the p-90s I may just hold off and trade mine in........( another however)...would anyone care to voice there opinion on this....Standard with p-90s or get the classic?

Add the "Classic," or even a "Faded" Tribute version, with P-90's, if you don't want to

spend the money, that a Classic would cost. Used, is always an option. But, "I" would

hang on to the "Standard," w/humbuckers. Having both, is a nice tonal option, which

doesn't lock you into, one or the other. Good luck, though...whatever you decided to do!

CB

Add the "Classic," or even a "Faded" Tribute version, with P-90's, if you don't want to

spend the money, that a Classic would cost. Used, is always an option. But, "I" would

hang on to the "Standard," w/humbuckers. Having both, is a nice tonal option, which

doesn't lock you into, one or the other. Good luck, though...whatever you decided to do!

CB

thats the thing, I like the hum sg but want to experiment like i did with my les paul which is now an amazing tone monster.

I got the usual wolftones on the SG on the G string at the 10th and 11th fret and sustain is minimal past the 12th fret. So i'll be putting a callaham ABR-1 inplace of the Nashville and replacing the stock nut to see if improvements can be made and to really set it apart from my Les Paul I was thinking of P90's.

Cant sell the guitar it was my first gibson that i bought myself new when i was 16 back in 2001 we have history and if i was to buy another gibson it would either be the 335 or the Hummingbird. I played a faded tribute and was not impressed by the build quality (might have been this example) resonance was poor and the tone sounded like there was a battle to even produce a tone

I think i'll try the Bare Knuckles Mississipi Queens and see how it pans out. One thing i will say though is an SG is always my go to guitar for recording rhythm everytime. theres just something about it that the LP just doesnt have

If you want to put P90s in your SG Standard you'll have to route out the body since P90s are taller than humbuckers. Another alternative are Gibson p94s. They are Gibson's humbucker sized p90s. I have a P94r in the neck position of my SG and I love the sound. It is a little different from my Classic's neck pickup, but a lot tighter than those crappy 490s.

l.jpg

If you want to hear sound samples, Nick V. of the Strokes plays an Epiphone Riviera w/p94s.

or just pick up the standard with p90s [biggrin]

I played as many as I could find in left handed and didnt like them I coud hear the sweet pups but the guitars had no souls! my SG an me have a history and played better than all of them even with its faults. Got her opened up at the moment plugging her nashville bushing holes in preparation for a Callaham ABR-1 and locking faber aluminum tailpiece, i'm gonna make a tone machine outta her!

Archived