Gibson Brands Forums

New LP Shred

Rabs

They have the SG version up now

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Diablo-Tremolo.aspx

I wonder why they went with Richlite for the LP yet gave the SG American Rosewood???? Id always want my guitar to be made of wood. The idea of fake wood materials doesnt sit well with me (and ive read several bad stories about it).

The SG Diablo Trem - I don't care for a light colored fretboard on an otherwise all black guitar. . <_<

I hear you on that... But then when they released the Classic Custom they showed the Baked Maple as being really light, yet when they actually shipped the colour was actually almost the same as Rosewood.. So i wonder what will happen here?

Well id say in this case whats to know.. Its a LP studio... Most of us have probably played a Studio.. So its just a case of if you like the colour and want a tremlo... and I like neither of those things so its a big no no for me (Les Pauls with Tremlos just dont look right to me)..

As for the Richlite board, I havent actually tried one.. But have read stories about how bad it is, one guy said that every time he played his Gibson with that fingerboard a black residue is left on his fingers.. maybe he had a bad one but ive read a few stories that would make me VERY weary of getting one.

I will however try one when i see one to be sure.

See thats the ticket, at least try it. Thats all I am saying. So many people especially here just follow someone like a Lemming and make comments when they actually have no experience or even any actual knowledge. Try it out; play it since for every negative comment about any of these newer fret boards Gibson is using you can also find something positive about them. Richlite is a proven fretboard and has been used buy other companies and has had very positive results.

I use Gibson Vintage 9's guitar strings and they leave residue on my fingers and actually turn my finger tips black after playing any one of my guitars. Its something to do with the make up of the strings; maybe thats what the hater had experienced and just blamed it on the fretboard?

Try it and then afterward if you hate it; post away. Until then don't be a Lemming.

I know.. it was the same with the Baked Maple.. People moaned and moaned about it which did have something to do with the fact that Gibson pictured them with a very light colour but in the end they were as dark as Rosewood. When I actually saw it for the first time no one in the Guitar shop could even tell me if it was Rosewood or BM as it was so similar in looks. I had to email Gibson in the end to find out it was Baked Maple and you know what, I think I prefer it to Rosewood, its way smoother so plays faster and looks just as good.

I have a Martin guitar with a Black Richlite board. No it's not plastic, the color doesn't come off and as a previous poster stated it's a wood pulp/resin product. It doesn't look cheap, plays really well, sounds beautiful and has a look and feel similar to Ebony.I've been to the Martin factory a few times. I only live an hour away and spoke to a few employees about Richliteand they told me it works like wood and they've never had a problem with it, only the purists did. I haven't tried Gibson's version of it so I have no comparison yet. But I'm sure it's the same product.

You'll begin to see alternative materials more and more because of environmental concerns and government regulations.

I would rather have a master tone and volume for each pickup than to have the same for both pickups.

Not always though, because I love Fender telecaster guitars a lot.

Maybe their is something to that guitar u know.

Telecasters... [drool]

Has anyone here actually tried the guitar? The problem with many of you here is you refuse to actually try something different. Many of the traditional people said they hated the idea of the burnt maple fretboards; yet those guitars have pretty much sold out entirely except for the Ebony version and are on back order for a few months. Those who purchased that guitar like myself love it.

Just to correct a statement, Richlite is not a plastic and unlike mycatra this is a woodfiber/paper product. Many who have purchased guitars made with this material for a fretboard compare it to ebony and even rosewood in texture. I do not like rosewood for the pits and compared to the other woods it just looks cheaper than the other examples of fretboards possible.

I know, it can be annoying to see someone go all corksniffer over one word on a spec sheet and declare all of the said models unworthy before trying one. [wink]

Anyway, I'd like to see Gibson expand this line to include different colors and maybe baked maple boards instead of Richlite.

Archived