Gibson Brands Forums

My Guild S-100 in action

heymisterk

Hey All,

Thought I would post this. I really love this Guild. And playing both Izzy's part then Slash's part, I realize just how good those guys were when they played in tandem. Yeah, I know I need to do those pseudo-harmonic thingies that Slash does that I don't attempt...

Hey Misterk,I'm an S-100 lover too,mine is a '74 S-100-NB ,it has a mahogony body with oak leaves and acorns carved into it.a lot of people mistake the S-100 for the SG but there's no comparison.The S-100 can wail like a banshee or sing the most lush jazz tones that you ever .I have a buddy who's a real Les Paul freak and he owns several but when he played my Guild for the first time he almost hit the floor-he couldn't believe the sounds that came from it,he said I could pick either one of his Les Pauls for a trade-I declined-of course.Vintage Guitar magazine did a great feature on the S-100 back in Jan.,2000 I believe it was.I wrote my own tribute to the S-100 and they printed it in the next month's issue.Kim Thayill of Soundgarden gets his monster tone from S-100s and he owns a large number of them.The S-100 was one of the best guitars to ever come from Guild-they should reissue it,it would give all other humbucker equipped guitars a run for their money.A good one will cost you at least $2,000 on ebay.

Great video. That guitar is ace.

Izzy and Slash's work on AFD is one of my all time favorite guitar duo. When you start dissecting Izzy's songwriting and playing, you realize how under recognized he is.

Great video. That guitar is ace.

Izzy and Slash's work on AFD is one of my all time favorite guitar duo. When you start dissecting Izzy's songwriting and playing, you realize how under recognized he is.

Absolutely agree: To me, Guns 'n Roses effectively stopped being Guns 'n Roses after Izzy left: he was a key and irreplaceable element. Don't get me wrong: Slash is amazing. But Izzy is was absolutely key. In most of my favorite Guns songs, Izzy had a hand in the songwriting.

Hey Misterk,I'm an S-100 lover too,mine is a '74 S-100-NB ,it has a mahogony body with oak leaves and acorns carved into it.a lot of people mistake the S-100 for the SG but there's no comparison.The S-100 can wail like a banshee or sing the most lush jazz tones that you ever .I have a buddy who's a real Les Paul freak and he owns several but when he played my Guild for the first time he almost hit the floor-he couldn't believe the sounds that came from it,he said I could pick either one of his Les Pauls for a trade-I declined-of course.Vintage Guitar magazine did a great feature on the S-100 back in Jan.,2000 I believe it was.I wrote my own tribute to the S-100 and they printed it in the next month's issue.Kim Thayill of Soundgarden gets his monster tone from S-100s and he owns a large number of them.The S-100 was one of the best guitars to ever come from Guild-they should reissue it,it would give all other humbucker equipped guitars a run for their money.A good one will cost you at least $2,000 on ebay.

People often talk about a guitar "speaking" to them, and this was mine. I had an ebony one that I mistakenly sold for the dumb reason of color b/c I wanted a cherry one. So, it all worked out! I didn't think I would like the Seymour Duncan JB pick-up because it would be too hot and not "vintage" enough, but it really does work in this guitar, and cleans up very nicely. Fit and finish are stellar.

Archived