Gibson Brands Forums

Battery powered tuners that clamp on the neck

4Hayden

I know that they are really handy, but, I'd never be caught on stage with one of those on my electrics- it just seems so wrong, IMO, for rock and roll.[-X

Acoustics are another matter, those clip on things almost seem natural on an acoustic, and I'd have no objection to one on my acoustic, but I use a pedal tuner.

Believe it or not those tuners are great. You can tune any guitar (and bass and ukelele in some cases) without having to plug them and even when there's too much noise around.

A=440 is the standard tuning. You can set them for higher or lower tunings to but most people don't use that function unless they want to tune for 1/4 step lower or higher (for half a step and a whole step you just work with the notes, it's easier).

I know that they are really handy, but, I'd never be caught on stage with one of those on my electrics- it just seems so wrong, IMO, for rock and roll.[-X

Acoustics are another matter, those clip on things almost seem natural on an acoustic, and I'd have no objection to one on my acoustic, but I use a pedal tuner.

[biggrin] I feel the same way, but, I have forgotten about it and left it on the guitar on several occasions. The most memorable was a couple of months ago when a local mag was doing an interview with my band, they snapped some pics and when they were published that thing was on the guitar's headstock... a maple headstock! (and a black tuner)

Ive used my Snark on all my guitars and it does work well, I've got a few strobe Peterson's but they don't work to good in a noisy room so the Snark is in my case when I'm playing out. I don't use the Peterson's much any more but they are most likely more accurate than the Snark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgRuC0zg6HU

Thanks, but on the other side it has (flat) each time you press it a note sign come 1 thru 4.Any idea what this means

That's probably an easy way to tune down from half step to 2 steps (lots of guys tune in Eb, D, and C now, C is used a lot by metalheads). When you press it is there a time when there are no notes? What brand and model is it?

I have a planet waves really simple clip on tuner that only has the screen, and a fishman that has 4 buttons, one reads "flat" and when used you get half step down readings, meaning if you are in E the thing will tell you the guitar is in F and when you are in Eb the thing will say the guitar is in E. As stated above, it's just an easy way to change your tuning to the most popular down tunings without having to "know" what tuning you are using (like CFA#D#GC for tuning in C).

Most players don't know what notes make those tunings so the tuner just gives you the standard names for them, makes sense?

Guest farnsbarns

A@44Hz is concert pitch and is what you want, almost without doubt. It's interesting though, more than half the world's musicians don't use concert pitch but because we are westerners, or westernized, we think of concert pitch as the norm.

The "note symbol" you're talking about is a "flat" symbol, it's for drop tuning.

That's probably an easy way to tune down from half step to 2 steps (lots of guys tune in Eb, D, and C now, C is used a lot by metalheads). When you press it is there a time when there are no notes? What brand and model is it?

I have a planet waves really simple clip on tuner that only has the screen, and a fishman that has 4 buttons, one reads "flat" and when used you get half step down readings, meaning if you are in E the thing will tell you the guitar is in F and when you are in Eb the thing will say the guitar is in E. As stated above, it's just an easy way to change your tuning to the most popular down tunings without having to "know" what tuning you are using (like CFA#D#GC for tuning in C).

Most players don't know what notes make those tunings so the tuner just gives you the standard names for them, makes sense?

It's a Fzone Chromatic tuner FT-800, Thanks ! I have always tuned by ear but I got this thing free with a guitar I bought.Now I have finally figured out the flat button side and found out my ear wasn't that far off.

Have a Great day

Mike

Archived