Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone trade for a J45

brannon67

Guys, I have a chance to trade in my two Epiphone Masterbilts(aj500 R and M) for a J45 Classic(plus some cash of course). Im really like my Masterbilts, but I cant keep them all, I have to thin the collection and get quality over quanity) if I want the J45. What should I do?

Guys, I have a chance to trade in my two Epiphone Masterbilts(aj500 R and M) for a J45 Classic(plus some cash of course). Im really like my Masterbilts, but I cant keep them all, I have to thin the collection and get quality over quanity) if I want the J45. What should I do?

When I was shopping I played a J-45 against a Masterbilt and like them both, but the Masterbilt sounded a little more... congested, than the 45. If you want to thin the herd, that'd be a good choice, methinks.

Yeah, Im really thinking about it. I have a J45 Standard, and love it, but dont play it out much for fear of screwing it up. I want the J45 classic(1$1999.99 at GC) to play out. I think I will go for Quality over quanity. I want the GIbson sound, but I just cant squeeze it out of my Masterbilts, but then again, they are a different breed of guitars, so.

Yeah, Im really thinking about it. I have a J45 Standard, and love it, but dont play it out much for fear of screwing it up. I want the J45 classic(1$1999.99 at GC) to play out. I think I will go for Quality over quanity. I want the GIbson sound, but I just cant squeeze it out of my Masterbilts, but then again, they are a different breed of guitars, so.

I get a $1000.00 bonus from work I have to spend, show a receipt, so I may go for the J45 Classic.

I'd likely make the trade too. BUT, if I had a "killer" Masterbilt, don't know that I'd get rid of it. Hope what you do works well for you. [thumbup]

I really like the J45 sound, but I just cant get it out of the Masterbilts, so I may go for quality over quanity like I said before.

While I have not played your guitars, if you were talking something like one of those discontinued Epi Bluesmasters I would say it might be wise to hold on to it because they are getting tougher and tougher to come by. But while it may take some time, all the guitars you are talking about giving up or not taking can be replaced. So just go with whatever instrument(s) you like best and don't fret too much about the others as you can snag them later on if you want.

I'll play devil's advocate, but why not just play the J-45 Standard out instead of possibly losing money on a trade and spending an additional $1000 for what is basically the the same guitar as you already have? I bought a new J-45 about six months ago and swore that I wouldn't obsess over "keeping it nice for the next guy". I play it where ever I need to within in reason. It's got a few minor bruises so far, no big deal. It's a Gibson J-45, it's meant to be handled and played. It isn't going to be a museum piece.

Now, if you just want to have the J-45 Classic in addition to the Standard, trade away. I've done it!

Well, change of plans on my Masterbilt trade for the Gibson. Now,Im going to sell the two Masterbilts, and use the money to pay off some CC debt. Looks like Im getting married next year, and I want most of my bills paid off going into the marriage mostly clean. Thats just me and what I want to do for my peace of mind, so Looks like I will keep my Gibson J45 and Hummingbird Pro and Songwriter Special, and let that be it. All the other stuff is sold. Thats all I need anyway. Oh well, its for the best...

Archived