Gibson Brands Forums

Why does J45 STD use ebony nut ?

gotomsdos

according to the gibson website, the material on standard j-45 is "Black Graphtech". I have no clue why this material is used.

Graphtech ?

Oh, maybe you're right, it may be graphite ? (not ebony)

It doesn't seem to be superior to bone. Chances are they reduce cost. If so, why does my Luthier's Choice J35 have black nut as well ? I don't understand.

I do'nt grasp what you said.

decode it please..

Wily forgot to take his medications today, and tends to ramble at times... [biggrin]

As far as the graphtech nut goes, the material is probably a graphite-impregnated plastic of some form. The graphite helps lubricate the string slots in the nut (don't start, Wily!) to reduce the chances of the strings binding, which can cause tuning and pitch problems. Most of us with bone nuts (this is getting worse!) just put a little graphite, Nut Sauce, or some other form of lubricant in the slots to prevent binding.

I can't believe I've dug myself into this hole, Wily......

yea, i have a 2010 J-45 I bought in Tokyo when on holidays. I was a bit worried when i bought it cause i hadn't seen the black nut before, But the guitar I played sounded so good i thought this must be the real deal. It was a wonderful city to buy a good acoustic compared to Australia.Many more choice acoustics to choose from. You guys have it good in the States...choice and price wise.

I was a hesitating on buying cause I already had a couple of good guitars, so i said to myself... i won't buy anything unless i get some sort of sign...then on my second last day I turned on breakfast telly in the hotel and there was some Japanese blues player ,who seemed to be well known extolling his love of the J-45...all in japanese but easy to get the gist of it....ok good enough for me!

yea, i have a 2010 J-45 I bought in Tokyo when on holidays. I was a bit worried when i bought it cause i hadn't seen the black nut before, But the guitar I played sounded so good i thought this must be the real deal. It was a wonderful city to buy a good acoustic compared to Australia.Many more choice acoustics to choose from. You guys have it good in the States...choice and price wise.

I was a hesitating on buying cause I already had a couple of good guitars, so i said to myself... i won't buy anything unless i get some sort of sign...then on my second last day I turned on breakfast telly in the hotel and there was some Japanese blues player ,who seemed to be well known extolling his love of the J-45...all in japanese but easy to get the gist of it....ok good enough for me!

Hey man ... you have a great name ... you are obviously a Gibson collector!

The Luthier's Choice J35 is fitted with an Ebony nut (era-specific, the same with the Legend series) and the J45 STD has a Graphtech nut, as stated, to improve lubricity at the nut and stop binding and tuning issues.

The Graphtech nuts are actually really good-they take a TINY shade off the top end of the sound, but sort out residual tension issues when tuning completely. I had a Les Paul Std 10yrs ago which had a really badly cut nut and broke strings/had tuning issues all the time. I swapped out the nut and tune-o-matic saddles for Graphtech units and the guitar came to life-it was an awesome, precision knife-blade of a rock machine that stayed in tune like a rock.

The Luthier's Choice J35 is fitted with an Ebony nut (era-specific, the same with the Legend series) and the J45 STD has a Graphtech nut, as stated, to improve lubricity at the nut and stop binding and tuning issues.

The Graphtech nuts are actually really good-they take a TINY shade off the top end of the sound, but sort out residual tension issues when tuning completely. I had a Les Paul Std 10yrs ago which had a really badly cut nut and broke strings/had tuning issues all the time. I swapped out the nut and tune-o-matic saddles for Graphtech units and the guitar came to life-it was an awesome, precision knife-blade of a rock machine that stayed in tune like a rock.

Thank you

But Legend j45 has no black nut, just white...please check it out..

wily , you're losin it man , someone said 'nut sauce'

anyway .... seriously though !! lol

if you had a problem with a tight nut slot , then u should rub a pencil in the groove , i can hardly type for laughin, it would stop tuning issues and snapping G strings ....

ah damn it

i give up

there are no ebony nuts

its graphtec

wily , you're losin it man , someone said 'nut sauce'

anyway .... seriously though !! lol

if you had a problem with a tight nut slot , then u should rub a pencil in the groove , i can hardly type for laughin, it would stop tuning issues and snapping G strings ....

ah damn it

i give up

there are no ebony nuts

its graphtec

BBG, the J45 STD nuts are indeed Graphtech, but the nut on my friend Lotte's Legend L-00 is most definitely Ebony. It is grained and unmistakably Ebony, as was the nut on the 1933 Kalamazoo KG21 Archtop I owned until recently. The later runs of Legend series models may well have changed specs to include a bone nut, but when my pal bought her first-generation Legend L-00, both that and the first-gen Legend J45 we auditioned and chose from featured Ebony nuts. I remember thinking it was a curious feature at the time and asking Bob at GuitarGuitar in Glasgow (where the guitar was bought) to check the specs. He came back with a positive that they were Ebony nuts, in keeping with the period-correct reissue specs.

Archived