Gibson Brands Forums

Obscure or non mainstream amps

RowdyMoon

As far as obscure goes I have another Canadian amp that's really obscure,it's a Paul made by the now defunct Pine Electronics in Montreal.The amp is only 5W with just basic tone and volume controls and an 8" speaker but when it's cranked it has an unbelieveable amount of raunch for a small amp and when I put it through my Marshall 1960 cabinet it becomes the perfect studio amp.Pine made several models of the Paul amps and made one beauty of an amp with 2-12" speakers with a really cool tremolo unit.Pine also put out amps under various brand names and there are Canadian collectors who are willing to pay pretty good money for unaltered units.

Just remembered that the 1483 was a bass amp. The 1484's louder and higher wattage cousin is the 1485. Jack White claimed to play them, but every Silvertone of his I have seen was a 2x12 which leads me to believe they are 1484s. The 1485's cab was a stereo 6x10.

If you intentionally meant 1483, ignore my rant.

Yep, I meant the 1483. They were meant for bass, but sound killer with guitar. It made me a fan of 15" speakers. If you dig your 1484, I bet you'd love it.

Hey I figured our guy wants an amp for the stage, talkin bout Hiwatt & the like. So if he wants a new all-tube amp that can be heard over a loud drummer, and wants "obscure or non-mainstream" ... it's either gonna be made in China or Richie Rich boutique absurdity. $500 might get you a boutique fx pedal though, haha.

Even if you buy a new Chinese amp, learn how to solder, read electrical schematics, & troubleshoot. You'll save tons of money on repairs & maintenance, not just on amps but guitars too. Not to mention the money you'd save by making your own cables. And if you're ever on the road that knowledge could really get you out of a jam.

Archived