Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339

danl56

It has been since the eighties since I have had a solidbody( Barney Kessel model) and I have been thinking about purchasing an Es-339 they have on sale for 399. Thought I would solicit some information from everyone. I enjoy blues ,classic rock ,folk and a wide variety of music. Already have Les Pauls ,Strats ,Nighthawks and a SG but was wondering if that would be the best bang for the buck ? Is there another hollow /semi-hollow body around that price range (500 dollars) that would serve me better? It is about a two hour drive to a Sam Ash are GC. Thnx all

I think you'll like it. There have been some problems with the wiring and Nanomag on the Ultra 339, but the regular 339 Pros seem to be pretty consistent.

I have an Epi with the Probucker coil splits, and it's a very versatile guitar. As with any guitar, try it before you buy, or buy with a strong return policy.

Today Epiphone announced a $100 price reduction on the ES-339 Pro so for $399...can't go wrong. Unfortunately they look to be backordered until April/May at the major online stores but you might be able to find them at your local shop.

Thanks to you guys mentioning the price reduction I have just been to my local dealer (Dawsons) who had just got a cherry one in today and told him about the price change. He was unaware of it but took my number and called me back within the hour to say I was right. So now I have a new Epi 339 for £299.

Cheers for the heads up on that lads.

Thanks to you guys mentioning the price reduction I have just been to my local dealer (Dawsons) who had just got a cherry one in today and told him about the price change. He was unaware of it but took my number and called me back within the hour to say I was right. So now I have a new Epi 339 for £299.

Cheers for the heads up on that lads.

Happy reduced price ES-339 Day! [thumbup] \:D/

Played one today at PMT in Birmingham, really, really nice. [love][wub] Bit of string buzz, but it had a slight back bow that might be the cause of that.

Sounded ace through a Peavey amp, coil tap was subtley effective, couple of wobbly knobs (ooh err) but otherwise sound.

Truss rod cover was marked ES339 don't know if it had the Probuckers.

Priced at £ 349, the drop hasn't got everywhere yet.

I WANT THIS GUITAR. Just got to persuade the missus. [-o<

All,

I would like to try to clear up some confusion that may exist regarding the ES-339 PRO. The specifications for this guitar have always been the same even though it was first called an "ES-339" but now more recently, an "ES-339 PRO." When first introduced our supporting literature referred to it simply as the "ES-339." However, this was changed recently to more accurately call it an "ES-339 PRO."

The "PRO" suffix refers to a set of common features that include:

1. ProBucker or Alnico Classic Pro pickups. The ProBuckers are patterned after the Gibson BurstBuckers while the Alnico Classic Pro's are patterned after the Gibson '57 Classics. Both are 4-wire pickups with 18% nickel silver covers and bases and Elektrisola wire. You can read more about this HERE:

2. Push/Pull coil-tapping on each volume knob.

The recent price reduction was simply that. We did not change the specs, parts or anything else on the guitar. We just wanted more of you to be able to afford this fantastic new guitar. :-)

Thanks again for all your support and participation in our forum.

Best regards,

Epi1

• 2 months later...

All,

I would like to try to clear up some confusion that may exist regarding the ES-339 PRO. The specifications for this guitar have always been the same even though it was first called an "ES-339" but now more recently, an "ES-339 PRO." When first introduced our supporting literature referred to it simply as the "ES-339." However, this was changed recently to more accurately call it an "ES-339 PRO."

The "PRO" suffix refers to a set of common features that include:

1. ProBucker or Alnico Classic Pro pickups. The ProBuckers are patterned after the Gibson BurstBuckers while the Alnico Classic Pro's are patterned after the Gibson '57 Classics. Both are 4-wire pickups with 18% nickel silver covers and bases and Elektrisola wire. You can read more about this HERE:

2. Push/Pull coil-tapping on each volume knob.

The recent price reduction was simply that. We did not change the specs, parts or anything else on the guitar. We just wanted more of you to be able to afford this fantastic new guitar. :-)

Thanks again for all your support and participation in our forum.

Best regards,

Epi1

I purchased my Epiphone ES-339 Pro in Vintage Sunburst recently, according to the serial number made in January 2012. It plays wonderfully, and is certainly a keeper. The Epiphone web site says the ES-339 Pro has Alnico Classic Pro pickups, and the ES-339 Ultra has the Probuckers. I am assuming I have the Alnico Classic Pro, but from your post I am wondering just which pickups I have. How do I determine which pickups my ES-339 has: the Probucker, or the Alnico Classic Pro? The link you provided describes the Probucker only.

It has been since the eighties since I have had a solidbody( Barney Kessel model) and I have been thinking about purchasing an Es-339 they have on sale for 399. Thought I would solicit some information from everyone. I enjoy blues ,classic rock ,folk and a wide variety of music. Already have Les Pauls ,Strats ,Nighthawks and a SG but was wondering if that would be the best bang for the buck ? Is there another hollow /semi-hollow body around that price range (500 dollars) that would serve me better? It is about a two hour drive to a Sam Ash are GC. Thnx all

I just bought an Ebony last week. Frickin awesome guitar. You will love it. I lowered the action, put my choice of strings on it and it's a player. I will never use the split pups feature tho. Just love the sound and playabilty (once you tweak it to fit your preferences) It played nice right out of the box, but the action was set really high. So I simply lowered it. Grab one you will love it. It's got some nice bite to it. But smooth too, depends on your amp settings. I got it cause I liked my old EPi Dot so much, and this is similar but smaller. Very nice. :o)

I purchased my Epiphone ES-339 Pro in Vintage Sunburst recently, according to the serial number made in January 2012. It plays wonderfully, and is certainly a keeper. The Epiphone web site says the ES-339 Pro has Alnico Classic Pro pickups, and the ES-339 Ultra has the Probuckers. I am assuming I have the Alnico Classic Pro, but from your post I am wondering just which pickups I have. How do I determine which pickups my ES-339 has: the Probucker, or the Alnico Classic Pro? The link you provided describes the Probucker only.

I am confused too. The pups on my new 339 don't sound like my 57 classics I put in my dot, at least not to my ears, they have more bite. But I'm not sure what they mean either.Where I bought mine, at americanmusical it doesn't mention "Pro" in the description, on other websites it does for what I assume are the same guitars, where I bought mine it says I have :

Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker 2

Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker 3

I have seen what I assume is the same guitar at other sites describing them as the "pro" model and saying they have the Alnico Classic pups.

I wonder whey I am confused?..lol [confused]

Greetings All!

I just got my first Epiphone, simi-hollow body archtop and new guitar in a bunch of years all in one purchase. I'm very pleased with the Epiphone ES 339. The string action seemed to be set high on purpose to me. I did lower the bridge to Gibson specs. The neck and intonation were ok right out the box. After lowering the bridge, it plays like a champ. The crappy looking Epiphone "E" logo on the pick guard was falling off when I took it out the box. That might be on purpose too, because everybody's says their "E" fell off. I just helped mine a little. It didn't even leave a trace of adhesive. I like the Alnico pickups. I was worried that I would have to change the control knobs but they look cool like on the Gibson version. I still might replace the bridge saddles and nut with Graphtech later on down the road. The electronics work well. I'll be using this guitar this weekend. It's a joy to play!

Peace,

Johnny ES339

Archived