Gibson Brands Forums

Model confusion

IndianScout

with some of the new models that Epiphone is putting out it's created a bit of confusion

take my guitars for instance they are the

Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute and the 2010 Tribute $799 which was a limited run of those tribute models in 2009/2010.

then in 2012 Epiphone comes out with the Tribute Plus $599, which does come with a 60's neck but is not the 1960 Tribute model

The 1960 comes with carved maple, where the plus has a veneer

other specs are similar

the problem then lies in people think your limited 1960 run is the same guitar at the tribute plus which is $200 cheaper

I've even seen some retailers get mixed up and sell the wrong guitar at the discounted price until I emailed them.

they should be more clear in their models and differences between them..

it just makes me mad because people are mistaken and automatically devalue your guitars thinking they are the cheaper model

[cursing]

it just makes me mad because people are mistaken and automatically devalue your guitars thinking they are the cheaper model

[cursing]

So what if they do? That's nothing to get mad about.

It ain't the guitar they will be talking about anyway, it's your playing.

I say, worry about that. :)

If you are that concerned about what others think of your guitar, you should have bought a real Gibson in the first place :P It is not the country of origin or even the brand that makes good music. It's skilled hands and a good ear. You can rock an Epiphone like nobody's business if you're good, hack a good Gibson if you suck, or blow people away and melt faces if you have the chops AND a great guitar ;)

If you are that concerned about what others think of your guitar, you should have bought a real Gibson in the first place :P It is not the country of origin or even the brand that makes good music. It's skilled hands and a good ear. You can rock an Epiphone like nobody's business if you're good, hack a good Gibson if you suck, or blow people away and melt faces if you have the chops AND a great guitar ;)

I already have the Gibsons :P

it's not that I'm worried about what others think, it's about the newer people and the active forum and music sites, I called one for the heck it of today, they quoted me a trade in value for the lower model, so even they are confused..

So what if they do? That's nothing to get mad about.

It ain't the guitar they will be talking about anyway, it's your playing.

I say, worry about that. :)

I totally understand where the OP is coming from and his concerns are perfectly legit. Who are you to tell him what he should or shouldn't get mad about anyway? [unsure]

Both models, the 1960/2010 Tribute - and the Tribute plus have maple caps with veneer

they are the same model - just different veneers

Maybe they get some advatages during the production to get the price down....

Usually we don't whine when prices get down.... at least not me.

the 1960/2010 models have a carved maple top, no veneer, only the plus have the veneer

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Les_Paul_Tribute_%26_Anniversary_Models

check the difference between the 1960 tribute

2009-2010

'57 USA Classic & Classic Plus pickups

Mahogany body

Carved hard maple top

MSRP:

$1332.00

to the tribute plus

Gibson USA '57 Classic & Classic Plus pickups

Mahogany body

Hard Maple Cap with AAA Flame Maple Veneer

MSRP:

$999.99

so what's a person to believe..

it's stated this on more retail sites than I can list also..

OK, you are right - and Jim Rosenberg is wrong........... #-o

Maybe he jumps in personally to clear it for you, he has been active here on the board the last days........

http://4henry.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/346-chat-with-epiphone-president-jim-rosenberg/page__st__40

See post #42 from August 2010

You are both right. What he seems to be saying is that the Tribute has a two-piece veneer with a plain grain over a three-piece maple cap, and the plus tops have a two-piece flamed veneer (that's the plus) over a three-piece maple cap.

Red 333

I'm not saying that, I'm just trying to cut thru the confusion of 2 different runs of guitars 1 being limited and the other the new plus and the fact that they dragged the price down thinking they're the same @ $599,

it wouldn't bother me but I own 3 1960 Tributes so that's like yanking $600 value from my purchases of less than 2 years.

you'd be mad too..

I got a new Trad Pro for $499 and I bought a HSC for it for another $75. Last December I could have got a new Trad Pro w/HSC for $424. I guess this happens to all of us, but I'm not losing any sleep over it, that's life! [smile]

I too, got a Les Paul Traditional Pro and I love the thing. I had other guitars in the past, and this one is the best sounding and easiest to play!

lespaultradpro.JPG?psid=1

I may be in the minority, but I like the PLAIN tops better than the FLAME tops. Just MHO.

Archived