Gibson Brands Forums

Martin HD28V vrs Gibson AJ

JohnnyReb

Well i have never seen much of a comparison between these two. I picked up a new Martin HD28V a few days ago and now that i have both guitars under my roof ive been able to do a comparison :) This is purely my own experience and opinion on these two fine guitars so please nobody get mad at me lol. I might add the Martin is strung with martin SP lifespan in phospher bronze, and the Gibson with 80/20s and i only use a flatpick. Anyhow as you may expect the martin definitly had more bass. It has a deep rumbling bass that echoes through the whole room. And to my suprise is a very balanced guitar. I expected the bass to overpower but it has just enough treble to not allow that to happen. The Gibson has a nice deep bass too, accept it

Falls off much quicker. Its more of a thump than boom. The Martin also has alot more sustain and overtones. Its actually a pretty complex sound. Sometimes so much so that you have to slow it down a little. The AJ has decent sustain as well, but not near as long lasting. Now before you assume im beating the drum for the martin let me finish. Volume....most people would assume the Martin is louder but i find that the AJ is breathing down its neck on that one. Strumming chords at full power id say the martin has a touch more bang, but flatpicking single note stuff i think the the AJ definitly has more " cut" . Alot may disagree but i believe if i were in a circle of instruments and it came my turn the AJ would cut through the crowd more than the HD28V. Makes me wonder why there not more popular as a flatpicking bluegrass guitar. The two have different tones as far as rythem and once again i think the martin is a hair louder and prob because of the extra bass, but the AJ is no slouch In this department. Im not good at giving a scientific explanation of tones. But there like having a Cadillac and a Corvette in the garage. Two very different things, but both cool in there own way. The Gibson is a more simple sound but not afraid to bark the tires and growl! The martin is a vintage series but to me.....if it were 1935 and i was sitting under a shade tree on a 5 gallon bucket picking tunes with neibors, the AJ fits the picture. It just has the " soul" i guess. The sunburst and that simple upfront tone is just what comes to mind when i think about vintage. The Martin is just so complex i just dont relate to it well as far as the vintage part. I think the excessive overtone and sustain takes it away. But on the other hand it adds a beutifull ring to things. But anyways i could go on forever about this but ill stop. Theres no winner here for me, both are great instruments. Just very different animals. I think if i HAD to choose one, id keep the AJ over the HD just because of the old time soul it has. But im proud to have both in my stable.

While I've never owned an HD28V, I have played a few and I can say that my experiences largely match those that you've expressed. All of which points to the things that I like so much about the AJ and why it seems to work so well for fingerpicking and the style of music that I prefer to play.

2 mighty guitars – thanks for a good review.

My equation is a bit different.

I have 2 HD-28V's here. A 2001 and a 2005. The first is considerable louder. Besides it's more rough and savage. The '05 is extraordinary fine and balanced – lesser bass (probably due to the volume), but so well crafted and worthy – neck'n'action is perfect.

The '01 has a crack down the seam between the bridge and the bottom, which is almost invisible during summer, but opens with the winter. As said, it's more rustic than the '05 and comes across as, , , HUGE. After A/B'ing for months, I've chosen the 2001. It was hard, but I ended up finding the rough nature of the '01 closer to the vintage concept of this 28 model than the velvet-like well behaved 2005.

1 and a half year ago I went through another A/B. Between my J-45 Standard and an Advanced Jumbo. Have to say the 45 totally outshone the A.J. Not when it came to volume, but sound and character-wise. The smaller slope simply overwhelmed me with its voice and charm. (And though I'd like to hear that same A.J. today, I never regretted the choice).

Then what if I compare those 2 – Well, I won't go into detail, only say that I like them both a lot.

The Mart. is so large, self-confident and embracing. A bit stiff or compressed*, but so willing to deliver and serve. The 2010 Standard is softening up and has a projection from somewhere beyond this world. The HD-28V is King Size in the best meaning of the term, , , but the 45 reveals enchantments not even Walt Whitman could give words.

"Two is the clue" -

(at least)

* do you recognize this ?

I think you perfectly described the difference between the HD-28v and the AJ. My experience has been practically same as you described it, but also the reasons why I prefer the AJ. I find the rosewood Martins just way over powering, too bass heavy across all the ranges and after a while the complexities give me almost a headache and I need to put the guitar down. But thats my thing with rosewood in general, can only deal with it in small doeses.

The only time this didnt happen was when I played a Collings D2H, where I never got tired of the rosewood power and overtone, amazing guitar which managed to somehow tame the rosewood beast and keep it focused without losing the strangth and power. Still think about this guitar often.

I find the rosewood Martins just way over powering, too bass heavy across all the ranges and after a while the complexities give me almost a headache and I need to put the guitar down. But thats my thing with rosewood in general, can only deal with it in small doeses.

Just wait till you get your fingerpicking under control.

Touched the right way, the vehicle of a scalloped rosewood box will take you down the road as a dreaming auto-driver. . .

"The Martinhas a lot more sustain and overtones. Its actually a pretty complex sound. Sometimes so much so that you have to slow it down a little." Right there. And, as noted, it takes a touch to control 'em. My experience with AJs was that they were more of a spit 'em out kind of guitar. Id be thinking it could do well in a string band setting. Not so sure about as a solo vehicle, but then friend Jinder loves his.

Wow! That HD28 MUST be a beast. My AJ has so much sustain and overtone that I have to work hard to hold it back. Good work if you can get it though. It is 20 years old and rings out with the voice of a confident pro.

Thanks for the post ..... very informative.

Archived