Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for Custom Shop J160E

misterbruce

I just ordered a Custom Shop J160E and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what strings are good on a J160E.

Did Lennon use flatwounds on his? Bronze or Nickel Wound? Guage?

Welcome!

I assume from the question that you actually want Beatle-y tone rather than what would standardly be considered "good" acoustic tone. (If so, I hope you ordered an all-laminate, ladder-braced, P-90 equipped J-160e, and not an all-solid-woods, X-braced, P100-equipped J-160e -- they build both these days.) In that case, I recommend you give the flatwounds a try. Back in the day, flatwounds were considered deluxe strings and the theory is, when Mal got told to go buy some strings, he'd buy 'em "the best". That's what I've got on my J-160e, and it sounds about right. Nickel-wound might also be worth a shot. 12s would be a reasonable guess on the gauge -- in this case, you don't really want to get the top moving too much anyway.

-- Bob R

• 1 year later...

I wrote Gibson about then years ago when I picked up my Lennon ltd edition J160. I was told that they put on Model (I think I have the spelling right) strings and that's the strings that came with the guitar when it was made "way back when".

The Gibson L5 strings sound good on a ladder-braced J160E. While most Gibson acoustics leave the factory with Gibson Masterbuilt Phosper Bronze strings, the ladder-braced J160E models leave the factory with the nickel-wound L5's.

Red 333

I'm pretty sure both George and John played nickle flats on their J160e's in the early days but by the time Revolver came out John was using round wound nickles, probably Pyramids.

You have to be a member to read this link but it is a great forum for any Beatle fan.

http://www.beatgearcavern.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18603&start=0

Archived