Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap Gibsons

Dallastx

I play only Gibsons right now and mostly SGs. Low LOW action and a Straight neck are my preference. In other words where you can barely get your finger under the string to do a bend and vibrato. This is because i play lots of legato like Alan Holdsworth if you know who he is. BUT here lies the point to the question. Unfortunately not all SGs are able to achieve the same low action as another. That is without fret shaving and some neck work. I'm in the extreme of low action but if you really want to shred an SG as opposed to playing slower Blues style You need to insist on lowering the action in the store before buying a "cheap" SG. If you can lower it to where it is effortless to play and there is no buzzing (check this not plugged into an amp). Make sure the neck is straight as well. Then you have just discovered most probably a bad *** cheap SG.

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone thinks that playing the most expensive guitar defines them, they are right. It defines them as a fool, and that a fool and their money are soon parted.

If they think the SG is cheaply built, then I would like to hear them explain in detail about what's so wrong with it.

That this guitar is Gibson's best selling model says a great deal of how excellent this guitar is. It has great playablity, it's light and easy to handle, it has great tone. IMHO, it's an excellent value and you get a lot of guitar for the money you spend. I love my LP, but I have more fun playing my SG. [thumbup]

Gibson is the best, nothing else comes close.

I had bought a schecter c1 artist trying to get gibson tone....close but no

Then traded for a esp with duncans, still not there.

Then of course the epiphone route, closer yet.

But still coulldn t afford a gibson but had wasted enough in trade ins to buy one !

Finally got a studio faded with burstbuckers and never looked back.

Then i played a sg faded, and i was on the hunt again, but located the sg 3 with the 6 way chciken head knob.

Point is for 700.00 you get the sg faded, you can make professional sound quality music, that is so cheap to be able to play out, or record,

That i won t even debate it ...lol

And nothing comes close to that brown , grainy , creamy, overdriven sound of a gibson.

Archived