Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone '58 Flying V Korina

eyerish

What do you guys think about the Epiphone '58 flying V?

I just put one on layaway and I am wondering about the country of manufacture. Its used so no tags or such and it does not have it on the body/neck anywhere.

Do any of you know what serial range tells whether Korean or Chinese?

Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics. Better to come when I get it home.

epiVhead.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

epiV.jpg

Yup.........I have a Gibson Les Paul that cost a fortune....It was made in the U.S.A. ; A Chinese American shaped the neck,

an Irishman fitted the pickups, a Lithuanian sprayed the nitro finish, a Korean glued on the maple cap after an Australian

picked the cap wood out, an Inuit wound the pickups, some white gal did the screw work, a German did the CCM programming,

a Turkish dude did the fret work, a disabled man slotted the nut, a Urkranian gal did the plastic molding, a South American

glued on the fretboard, a Mexican overlooked the security detail, a Canadian did the inlays, a war refugee from Sudan installed

the imported metal parts, etc etc etc etc......And a blind Polish guy did the final quality control........My guitar is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with Chinese made guitars, they do a very good job of it these days.

I am beginning to think this flying V is Korean.

The question of

"what's wrong with Chinese made guitars...?"

As of this posting,I have 6 Chinese made guitars and only 2 Korean (not including the V as I have not yet verified it)

So I have 6 to 2 in favor of Chinese

4 Squiers 2 CV50 teles,1 CV60s strat and 1 CV50s strat

1 Epi dot

1 SX tele

so therefore in answer to your question......."What's wrong with Chinese made guitars?"...I don't know...you tell me....what the hell is wrong with wanting to know things about the items one owns?

You people on these Gibson/Epiphone forums are some real touchy people. I like what I purchase,elsewise I would NOT purchase it. I also like to KNOW about the things I purchase. If your tender bottom is being chafed by your panties....unbunch them.

"Yup.........I have a Gibson Les Paul that cost a fortune....It was made in the U.S.A. ; A Chinese American shaped the neck,

an Irishman fitted the pickups, a Lithuanian sprayed the nitro finish, a Korean glued on the maple cap after an Australian

picked the cap wood out, an Inuit wound the pickups, some white gal did the screw work, a German did the CCM programming,

a Turkish dude did the fret work, a disabled man slotted the nut, a Urkranian gal did the plastic molding, a South American

glued on the fretboard, a Mexican overlooked the security detail, a Canadian did the inlays, a war refugee from Sudan installed

the imported metal parts, etc etc etc etc......And a blind Polish guy did the final quality control........My guitar is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!"

I am glad you like your git

"and you should rate the guitar - not the country where it's been made......"

RATING? How much more of a rating does one need? I bought the damn thing...you people are really....up-tight. I like to know things...its called amongst other things...an intellectual pursuit...sheesh.

You folks need to calm yourselves,and consider that some folks enjoy the technical stuff beyond chords and scales.

Or maybe buy some fabric softner,as it appears your shorts are all stiff.

I thought I would come back around this forum and try to be a part of it. But you people are all stiff necked snobs.

Good luck with your blood pressure.

I thought I would come back around this forum and try to be a part of it. But you people are all stiff necked snobs.

Good luck with your blood pressure.

It was the way your OP was worded that gave the impression that the place of manufacture was important to you.

Please forgive the misunderstanding, but the Korean vs Chinese debate is raised here constantly, and I mean constantly, you are not the only person who has posted a question mentioning Korea and China as places of manufacture, it was, perhaps improperly, assumed by me this was another of those threads, so again, please forgive me for the misunderstanding. No one was trying to intentionally cheese you off, just defending the quality of Epiphones coming out of China.

I really fail to see the snobbery connection, we are decidedly anti-snob around this place, that's why we were defending Chinese manufacture, if you read my sig you'd notice I have 60+ guitars, they span range from cheap no name guitars, much cheaper even than Epis, to USA custom shop built guitars, so I'm totally open minded about a guitar's origin.

Beautiful guitar! Excellent choice!

I have a couple of Epi '58 V's myself. An ebony and a kornia that I put a black pickguard on. Both have upgraded PU's (Schallers in the ebony and Dimarzios in the korina). They sound great now.

I have, and have owned, a lot of set-neck Epi's, and I prefer the recent production, whether MIC or MIK. When faced with a choice, I'll go with the Chinese. Quality's always been very good and they're more consistent than older Koreans.

Oops I forgot. I have 3 korean made guitars,at this moment.

2 are 1997 Optek Smartlights. and 1 (one of my favorites and I forgot).

An Ibanez SZ520QM, (The Paul killer) Mahogany body and neck with a thick maple top and rosewood fingerboard. I can't believe I forgot that one. I just turned the double nickel so maybe it's just old age hitting.

One of my Optek Smartlights. Korean and from 1997.The other is natural color same year,bought new.

smartlightTG.jpg

My Chinese EPI

GEDC0250.jpg

The Korean IBANEZ (fANTASTIC GUITAR)

GEDC0162.jpg

A couple CHINESE, CV50s tele and CV Custom tele (I sold the CVC last year)

GEDC0211.jpg

a trio of JAPANESE guitars

GEDC0553.jpg

a 40 year old JAPANESE Kingston I recently bought to restore.

GEDC0611.jpg

2 more CHINESE amps

GEDC0608.jpg

American body I had made for me in New York,an indonesian Squier neck(a fantastic neck)

for a guitar I am building

GEDC0183-1.jpg

A toilet seat guitar built in JAPAN in the 1970s

GEDC0195.jpg

I could show you lots more. I have from USA,JAPAN,MEXICO and other places around the world. I have about 60 guitars and 25 or 30 amps at present. After having sold over 30 guitars and 20 amps these last 3 years. So please be happy with your assumptions that a person who asks a question is automatically either in contravention to your way of thinking,or just wrong.

Yes that IS snobbery if you feel yourself superior due to differences in choice based on your assumptions of the other person.

The case that is behind the 2 amps is holding an instrument known as a ERHU.

A chinese folk instrument. I have 2 both made in CHINA,but of course that would fly in the face of your assumptions that I have a problem with CHINESE stuff.

GEDC0495.jpg

Do you see the red tassle hanging from the blond amp's volumn knob? That was a gift sent with the CHINESE made ERHU....oh wait I don't like CHINESE stuff according to you people.

YEP...little ol' me.

You know the one whom you people have never met nor deigned to ask me things about myself,but decided that you know me well enough to determine what I like,dislike or think.

Snapshot_20110317_3.jpg

That's quite the collection...[thumbup]

But uh... What is that DG-20 thing that you say is so fun? Looks pretty cool...

Its a digital guitar from the 1980s. You can hook it up through midi to..well anything midi. No bends or whatnot(I have several Roland guitar synths for that) but it is fun with the built in Casio cheese and the midi possibilities.

here are my 2 CHINESE ERHUs and 2 of my CHINESE made violins,one acoustic and one electric.

Oh wait a minute this can't be. You people decided I have a problem with CHINESE made instruments.

Oh well must be an illusion....right?

GEDC0642.jpg

GEDC0643.jpg

GEDC0647.jpg

GEDC0650.jpg

GEDC0644.jpg

So much failure in one post...........

Sorry for beeing a stiff necked snob and still trying to help you

it will never happen again....

Smiley-goodbye1.gif

Bye to you too. You will have to make assumptions against others I guess. I will be sad....no really.....honest.....what..no...I'm serious....c'mon....it's true.....absolutely......

Archived