Gibson Brands Forums

Quick SG neck question

heymisterk

Hey All,

I am in the market for a new SG with a Maestro. I am even willing to spring for a Custom Shop model.

Here's the problem: All of them seem to have the "60's Slim Neck." That slim neck was a major reason I got rid of my Les Paul.

My Classic has a perfect neck for my biggish hands. But it seems all the other SGs that are either VOS or CS have the slim neck.

Am I screwed?

Take a look at the Epiphone G-400 Custom Les Paul-it has 3 pups,gold hardware and an SG body-it has a pretty wide and beefy neck.Don't be put off by the Epi name as a lot of people are without giving them an honest try.My daughter's boyfriend tried mine through my Marshall JCM 800 2204 stack and was blown away because according to him it was better than his Gibson SG in every way and he especially loved the neck because he has hands like hams.

I am even willing to spring for a Custom Shop model.

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not the moniker of Custom Shop imply something built to spec for you?

I would imagine the folks over at Gibson CS would build you an SG with whatever you wanted.

Is that the SG standard with the maestro your after? My standard has a neck thicker than a 60's profile but not as thick as the 50's profile. Have you tried looking at the early 70's models that came stock with the maestro your after? Seems to me you would wind up buying a true vintage for the same money as a custom shop model. Good luck, Tim

Archived