Gibson Brands Forums

Want to see some neat Italian motorcycles?

jaxson50

I often desired a Moto Morini 350 V2.... [biggrin]

V(2)

:-({|=

One of my classmates at Uni had one. It was badged as a "Moto-Morini 3 1/2 Strada". In spirit it was like a mini Ducati.

Ver nice bike but it had a few foibles. Apparently, it had a very highly-strung and temperemental engine/gearbox unit which required a very strict routine to be followed before the bike could be driven off. Everything had to come up to temperature otherwise a financially crippling re-build would soon be the order of the day.

P.

One of my classmates at Uni had one. It was badged as a "Moto-Morini 3 1/2 Strada". In spirit it was like a mini Ducati.

Ver nice bike but it had a few foibles. Apparently, it had a very highly-strung and temperemental engine/gearbox unit which required a very strict routine to be followed before the bike could be driven off. Everything had to come up to temperature otherwise a financially crippling re-build would soon be the order of the day.

P.

Allowing for long warm ups before operating on the road is a common requirement with Italian machines, I owned a Alfa Romeo that had the same rules of engagement. Never drive one over 3K rpm until the motor is ay operation temp. The gear boxes on these older bikes were most likely crash boxes that had no syncros, or used them only in the higher gears. Bultacos had the same type of gear box, if not operated correctly they would "loosen up" which is to say wear out ,,

These were as much art work as they are machines.

You can't beat the Italian bikes for sheer beauty,I especially love the vintage Ducatis.I also clicked on the links to some of the Concours car shows and there were some real beauties there too from Italy,such as Lancias and Alfa Romeos but also represented there was my favourite marque of all-the Packard,Packards were in my book some of the most beautiful cars ever made especially the Dietrich Phaetons and convertibles.

Archived