Gibson Brands Forums

I saw one heck of a fake LP today

jaxson50

I could see how someone would fall for it. A very nice flamed sunburst, head stock had a gold lable "Custom Shop LP Ulitma" which was the first give away. The binding was wrong, the "Gibson" label was a decale. it said "Made in USA /Serial #" were stamped in the right place, the fret board had a flame inlay all the way up the neck.

The main give away was...the pawn shop was asking $650.00 for a custom that sells for $7,000.00! and should look like this;

http://www2.gibson.c...aul-Ultima.aspx

So if it's too good to be true.........it is! The details were not right, wrong tuners, it had Seymore Duncans with no covers, the truss rod plate was a black two screw and the round custom shot inlay was in gold, not silver....but i was tempted. If i could get it for $200.00?

But the fret board felt like crap, cheap switches...what a ripoff.

You know some sucker already fell for it and pawned it...the shop should place a disclaimer on it...before it ends up on E-bay!

OH Yea...I forgot, the other detail was, the flames went the wrong way on the finger board...who thought that was a good idea?

You know some sucker already fell for it and pawned it...

...Well that sucker most likely purchased the fake for $300 and sold it to the Pawn Shop for $300, which is now charging the $650...so is the seller or the shop the sucker?

You know some sucker already fell for it and pawned it...

...Well that sucker most likely purchased the fake for $300 and sold it to the Pawn Shop for $300, which is now charging the $650...so is the seller or the shop the sucker?

I doubt the pawn shop bought it thinking it was the real deal, they know what to look for. They should place a disclaimer on it.

That guitar is the ugliest son of a ***** I've ever seen. Only thing I like is the tuner knobs.

Yep, absolute sh*te in everyway possible - completely ugly. BUT would would you throw her out of bed if she was free?

Yep, absolute sh*te in everyway possible - completely ugly. BUT would would you throw her out of bed if she was free?

Depends how many diseases she has ;)

In all seriousness, I'd probably take it and part it out for more than what it's worth or equal to. (w/e someone is willing to pay)

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it had a different fretboard, classic black trussrod cover, no flaming on the top, and no huge CS logo. Other than that, it's a fine guitar.

What are you all saying is ugly that Gibson Ultima or the cheap Chinese ripoff because if your all saying the real Ultima's from Gibson is ugly your all crazy. They are amazing when you see them in person. They don't look as good in pictures usually, but the Ultima's are gorgeous in person where the colors all match and they don't look gaudy at all.

What are you all saying is ugly that Gibson Ultima or the cheap Chinese ripoff because the Ultima's from Gibson your all crazy they are amazing when you see them in person. They don't look as good in pictures usually, but the Ultima;s are gorgeous in person where the colors all match and they don't look gaudy at all.

Amen...my reason for starting this post was to warn others to keep a sharp eye out. I saw a Gibson headstock from across the room, in a little pawn shop, if I had not known what to look for I would have rushed to buy this Gibson LP Custom Shop for $600.00 or so and thought I was pulling one off on the shop. And that is what the shop is banking on.

Buyer beware!

Archived