Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Les Paul Studio Joe Bonamassa

Bryan Sutherland

I'm still grinning!!! Didn't have much time to play last night, hopefully there will be more time tonight. I'm very surprised at the weight... very heavy [thumbup]

I just bought a studio 50's Tribute with Humbuckers and a week later I walked into the store and saw they just got the Bonamassa Studio in. I couldn't help myself, I purchased it on the spot and really love it. I now have 2 Goldtops and enjoy both of them.

I just bought a studio 50's Tribute with Humbuckers and a week later I walked into the store and saw they just got the Bonamassa Studio in. I couldn't help myself, I purchased it on the spot and really love it. I now have 2 Goldtops and enjoy both of them.

I've never been much of a Goldtop fan, but it's growing on me more and more. Pictures don't do them justice. I've gotten a little more time on my JB and love the neck, feels much better (to me) than my Classic Custom. I did swap the Volume/Tone knobs for black ones... not much of a fan of the originals.

guitars.jpg

How does the classic custom sound through the blackstar?

The Blackstar is an amazing amp, has gain for days, which is exactly what I was looking for (I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI for the cleans). I did not like the 57's in the Classic Custom, so I swapped them out for a set of 500T/496R, and it now sounds like I wanted it to sound. I guess it's actually a Classic Custom Plus.... The JB Studio has the more 'vintage' sound (especially through the Fender), and I have a set of BumbleBees on the way for it. The Classic Custom with the new pickups and the Blackstar (with the gain around 9 o'clock) screams... tons of sustain. I have the 20 watt version, wish I would have gone with the 40 or 60. But worth every penny.

Congrats for that beauty. I got mine last month and I love it. The pickups are amazing. Enjoy !

I love this guitar, it's practically the only one I play!! It can cover a variety of tones, very versatile!!! New pots and caps on order... will update with pics when installed.

Ok so what you have is Modern Wiring setup with Bumble Bee cap's

check the diagram on how to change if you want 50s wiring

LesPaul_50s-wiring.jpg

I think you posted these diagrams in another thread... I do my guitar work at my office as I have all the tools here, was just planning on only installing the caps. What are the benefits/differences between the two wiring schemes?? Other than soldering to different positions on the pots... thanks!! I'm kinda new to doing guitar mods.

I think you posted these diagrams in another thread... I do my guitar work at my office as I have all the tools here, was just planning on only installing the caps. What are the benefits/differences between the two wiring schemes?? Other than soldering to different positions on the pots... thanks!! I'm kinda new to doing guitar mods.

Nice pic of the control cavity, and nice pic of the diagram. Good on you guys!

As far as operation, when the selecter switch is in the middle position with both pus, "modern" or "60's" wiring gives you control over each pup's volume independantly...so you can have one pup at half volume and another at full volume, or where ever you want to set it. With "50's" wiring, in the middle position, both pups are affected by both volumes. The volume that has the lowest setting determines the volume for both pups. So each volume control could act as a master volume. When the switch is then selected to operate bridge or neck pup, the volumes for each pup then act for the pup selected.

I should write this stuff down, because I forget and I gat confused (especially lately). But electrically, I THINK whet the 50's does is put the tone pot after the volume setting. Meaning, the tone knob affects the treble roll off according to where the volume is set. With "modern", the tone effects the full potential of the circuit...meaning if you have the volume rolled doen, the amount of treble roll-off is still what it would be if the volume was full on. The end result is that with 50's wiring, turning down the volume retains more highs and only affects volume, compared to modern where you may want to turn the tone "up" as you roll the volume "down".

Archived