Gibson Brands Forums

Where to get Epi Mini Humbuckers

Kylef

Hi guys.

Anyone able to tell me where I could buy Epiphone Mini-Humbuckers, like you would get in a Riviera not a Firebird, with pole pieces and preferably black pickup ring? Struggling [mellow] ??

I replaced my Epi Riviera's pu's with GFS Fat Mini- Fat Alnico V Magnets- Chrome. Although they come with the Firebird chrome pu ring, they are the Riviera-style pu's. I used the stock rings w/o a prob. They are nice pu's. I like them better than stock. They are 4 conductor. So they can be coil cut which I did with a puch/pull pot.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Fat-Mini-Fat-Alnico-V-Magnets-Chrome-Case-Our-Best-Neck-Position_p_492.html

Out of a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe!

Or, at the "Mini Mart"................:rolleyes:[crying] :unsure: [blink][smile] ..............

Epiphone does not sell new pickups.........You have either e-bay, forum trading posts, or from botique pickup makers, of which their are many..........

I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. After playing my Gibson es-120 with 2 GFS Vintage P-90s my Riv's pickups sounded too thin to me. So I went online and got the Fat Minis for my MIK Riviera. Glad to hear the GFS pickups will fit in the original mounting rings, because I didn't like the chrome rings that came with the GFS Fat Minis.

Now I'm really psyched to get the guitar back and try out the new PUs.

I replaced my Epi Riviera's pu's with GFS Fat Mini- Fat Alnico V Magnets- Chrome. Although they come with the Firebird chrome pu ring, they are the Riviera-style pu's. I used the stock rings w/o a prob. They are nice pu's. I like them better than stock. They are 4 conductor. So they can be coil cut which I did with a puch/pull pot.

http://store.guitarf...tion_p_492.html

I'll be happy to sell you the stock Epi mini humbuckers when they come out of my Riv - but they won't come with black mounting rings, because I'm keeping them on the Riviera. I think you can buy a set of black mounting rings from GFS at guitarfetish.com

Dougg330

Hi guys.

Anyone able to tell me where I could buy Epiphone Mini-Humbuckers, like you would get in a Riviera not a Firebird, with pole pieces and preferably black pickup ring? Struggling [mellow] ??

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Fat-Mini-Fat-Alnico-V-Magnets-Chrome-Case-Our-Best-Neck-Position_p_492.html

Yes, I was going to say GFS Fats also....Guitar Fetish.com

Will Gibson's mini-humbucker drop into a Epi's opening & work with the black ring?

Yup. I put a set of Gibson minis in my '56 GT and they dropped right in. I used the Gibson cream rings though.

If I was to do it again, I would go with GFS minis. I have tried several of his pups and have been happy with them.

When I did mine, Jay only sold the Firebird style of minis, I must not have been the only one to ask for them. I have been thinking about getting another P-90 guitar just to try out some of his minis.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I have decided I am going to go with the GFS minis. I am at least going to give them a shot [thumbup]

It means I am going to have to find my own humbucker rings. I have spotted a few on ebay, but can I buy them as they are - flat - or do I have to find curved rings?

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I have decided I am going to go with the GFS minis. I am at least going to give them a shot [thumbup]

It means I am going to have to find my own humbucker rings. I have spotted a few on ebay, but can I buy them as they are - flat - or do I have to find curved rings?

Depends on what they are going into. Is the guitar a flat top, or a carved top?

To Kylef. I have read your post and understand you have an Epiphone Riviera with the 3 P-90 "Dog Ear" pickups? It seems like you'd need a pickup ring that would also serve as an adapter to accept and mount that smaller mini humbucker. I think full sized humbucking pickups would fit into those spaces, normally. If you're trying to save space by using the mini's, it's a good idea. Those 3 P-90's sitting under the strings might get a player's way. They take up a lot of space. Does anyone make a P-90 sized pickup mounting ring that accepts a mini-humbucker? It would be great if you put in 3 Firebird sized pickups with mini toggles to coil tap each. Your Riv. would have a lot of different sounds. I believe that GFS "Guitar Fetish" has the most reasonably priced pickups on the market. Good luck with your upgrade Kylef. Peace.

Archived