Gibson Brands Forums

E or Eb???

awel

You keep saying this like it doesn't work in spite of the evidence presented to the contrary.

PM me if you'd like some tips on using it!

Happy Friday sir!

Some people don't want to search. They just want to ask. Call me if you need any tips on how to mow the lawn. Sir.

[flapper]

Whaddayou his mother or something?

I like to play and sing in Eb, but rarely get to. Right now, all guitars are tune A440. I'm only doing open jams, and jamming (or practicing, whatever you want to call it) for the GC BOTB, which is this Tuesday.

When I do get a band going, I'm gonna use the Eb tuning.

I stick with E as with standard pitch. Alternative tunings are fine, I once used them a lot. Stuff like open G, open E, etc., work fine, but A still is 440. One major reason comes from playing with other instruments, especially bluegrassy and old-time stuff. A lotta folkies and bluesies in the 60s messed with open tunings.

OTOH, I find it interesting nobody's mentioned one potential use of an e-flat or even D tuning might be to play with brass where a lotta stuff is done in F and B-flat. I seem to remember the score for the musical Man of La Mancha was all in a-flat, b-flat and e-flat. I s'pose if I'd dropped the tuning a half step and transposed it all mentally it may have been easier than playing 98 perent barre....

I can understand the idea of using heavier strings and loosening them to drop a half or full pitch - but on the other hand, that and its reverse could be done as weather might change the relief on the neck.

Pays your money, takes your choice...

m

Some people don't want to search. They just want to ask. Call me if you need any tips on how to mow the lawn. Sir.

[flapper]

Whaddayou his mother or something?

Well, Richard, given that I just successfully did what he said he had trouble doing, it seemed the nice thing to do to offer to help.

Given that I didn't mention lawn mowing, I'll have to pass on your cyrptic-yet-assinine offer of tips on how to!

I'd have given it a pass if we hadn't JUST had this topic. I'm a really cool guy like that... so instead, I used the search engine to locate the oh-so recent thread and posted a link, where the OP can now learn not only those who use flatted standard tuning, but ALL the various tunings we use.

Now, if we've had enough internet snark, I invite you to allow the OP to have his thread.

And Happy Friday to YOU, too!!

Hendryx and SRV tuned down because it was easier to sing? I missed that one.

I thought it had something to do with the guitar.

[biggrin]

SRV has said in interviews that his voice was more comfortable in Eb, otherwise he would have used 11's and tuned them to E. And it's been suggested by Eddie Kramer that that was one of the reasons Hendrix tuned to Eb. BTW, Hendrix "Usually" tuned to Eb, he was known to tune to 440 on occasion.

And "Easier to sing..." is less accurate than "More comfortable in...". The word Easy should never be bandied about when discussing singing and playing, there's nothing easy about it.

Wow I didn't realize that so many people tune down. We always did everything in standard tuning. But if you play with a horn section they'll probably like you better if you tune down. Our sax player hated soloing in F#! Piano players like me like to play in F, which isn't bad for the horn section either.

You keep saying this like it doesn't work in spite of the evidence presented to the contrary.

PM me if you'd like some tips on using it!

Happy Friday sir!

You make many assumptions. I never said I have a problem operating it; I'm just sharing an observation-- an observation I have voiced maybe twice since my registration.

Wow I didn't realize that so many people tune down. We always did everything in standard tuning. But if you play with a horn section they'll probably like you better if you tune down. Our sax player hated soloing in F#! Piano players like me like to play in F, which isn't bad for the horn section either.

Hah! True.

Archived