Gibson Brands Forums

Amp slip/dust covers.

slavestate

Hello there.

I was contemplating getting a slip/dust cover made for a couple of my amplifiers and cabinets, when I remembered that I had yards upon yards of Duck Cloth in my closet. Eerily enough I have some "Nutmeg" colored cloth that is very close to the metal trim on my Acoustic G100T and 469 412GS. I just finished the amplifier heads slip cover, however I will be restitching the entire stitched sections again with another reinforcement of thread to both make the stitch stronger and clean up the edges a bit.

I'm going to start working on the cabinet cover this weekend, once I have some more free time. I do all the stitches by hand, as I prefer the look and strength of how the stitching is applied. I could use the sewing machine I have, however I get more satisfaction out of this way.

The Duck Cloth fabric is essentially the same material that is used in Carhartt pants and it lasts a very long time. I would have used other materials, however for a start I figured this was a decent approach.

Here's what it looks like:

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Beautiful job! I've been somewhat handy with a S. Machine in the past with tailoring my dress shirts & backpacking/camping sacks & the like. I think the "duck cloth" couldn't be improved on as it breaths & would protect well. Much prefer that to my Vinyl ones on the Fender Blues Deluxe & Vox AC15 I have. Vox is a nice padded one and does look great. Like the breathability as you could cover after playing and it wouldn't trap any heat for long or any condensation either!!

Surfer, I think SlaveState was wanting the hand stitched "rustic" look vs. the finished look. I can go either way with the good hand stitch job he did. [thumbup]

Aster

Awesome......Just like gramma used to make......[thumbup] ....

Pretty much the only way to do it. Thanks!

Good cover. The material looks pretty substantial too. I using an old Marshall cab cover for my amp.

Yeah, Duck Cloth is great stuff. It's not too thick, however it's not too thin either. I would compare it to something similar to canvas awning material. How does the Marshall fit over your amp? Is it one of those cases of a lucky fit?

Next time sew them inside out then when your turn them the right way the stitches disappear and all you have is a hopefully fairly strait line where the seam runs.

Nice job though and the fabric looks really good.

Yes, that's a great way to get some clean lines. My goal was to make the stitching look like pipping. I am just starting on the second round of thread, at which point I think it will look more thorough and uniform.

Beautiful job! I've been somewhat handy with a S. Machine in the past with tailoring my dress shirts & backpacking/camping sacks & the like. I think the "duck cloth" couldn't be improved on as it breaths & would protect well. Much prefer that to my Vinyl ones on the Fender Blues Deluxe & Vox AC15 I have. Vox is a nice padded one and does look great. Like the breathability as you could cover after playing and it wouldn't trap any heat for long or any condensation either!!

I never really thought about the breathability of the fabric. I kind of just went for it. I have been using Duck Cloth for years in various things and it has never failed me. I have found that the stitching goes long before the patch and/or panel does.

Thanks for the comments, more photos to come!

gsgbass, on 01 June 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Good cover. The material looks pretty substantial too. I using an old Marshall cab cover for my amp.

slavestate, on 02 June 2012- 09:00 AM, said:

Yeah, Duck Cloth is great stuff. It's not too thick, however it's not too thin either. I would compare it to something similar to canvas awning material. How does the Marshall fit over your amp? Is it one of those cases of a lucky fit?

It's a lucky fit. Your Duck Cloth even looks very durable. My Bass amp is a half stack. A Hartke LH500 head, with an Acoustic B410 cab. The Marshall cab cover luckily covers all but about two inches off of the floor. That's ok, the cover doesn't get caught up on the floor with the casters when rolling.

RR360B410.jpgUntitled.jpg

It's a lucky fit. Your Duck Cloth even looks very durable. My Bass amp is a half stack. A Hartke LH500 head, with an Acoustic B410 cab. The Marshall cab cover luckily covers all but about two inches off of the floor. That's ok, the cover doesn't get caught up on the floor with the casters when rolling.

Whoa, look at that. What a great fit. How does that Acoustic 4x10 sound? I haven't had any experience with the newer generation stuff.

I love that bass too.

Whoa, look at that. What a great fit. How does that Acoustic 4x10 sound? I haven't had any experience with the newer generation stuff.

I love that bass too.

Thank you, my SG Std. is really a great bass. QC on it is right there. I have a set of D'Addario short scale Nylon Tapewound strings coming in. With any luck they should be in on Monday for it.

I go back to the 1970 Acoustic 361. The B410 sounded good in the store. They had one in back in the carton, so I went for it. When I got it home, I couldn't believe the true deep clean sound with the Hartke LH500 head. The B410 is a 400 watts, 8 ohm cab. It takes the 350 watts @ 8 ohms Hartke head great. It has a on/off switch for the HF Horn. The casters weren't included, but it has the caster fixtures installed from the factory. A $20.00 set of Ernie Ball Casters popped right in. No cab rattle etc., just a good solid cab. The price was great too. The Marshall cover works great, it keeps the dog hair off of the Half stack well.

Archived