Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a good buy?

IanHenry

I don't know if this should be in the "Custom Shop" part of the forum or here, but here goes! I was looking in a ex Gibson dealer today (they seem to be concentrating on Fenders now), and they had a tobacco sunburst Gibson 335 dot reissue for sale, brand new, but a 2002 model complete with all the documentation. They are asking £1999 ($3080) for it, the guitar plays well, and is in new condition except for a couple of marks on the back (belt?) that look as though they may polish out.

The question that I keep asking myself is why has this guitar been laying around for 10 years, and is this a good price for this instrument or would I be better looking for a newer model?

Regards,

Ian.

New??? . 10 years old qualifies it as a used guitar - no telling how much play time it accumulated at the shop.

You can get a brand new 335 for less than that - brand new meaning less than 12 months old.

BigK is right, If it's calling ya, give a real close inspection, making sure that for example, the finish hasn't been eaten away by the stores hanger, check the neck out, make sure the truss rod is active etc, and if it's clean cosmetically, and in good working order, just make him an offer. I'd bet he's looking to unload it, and would probably consider something reasonable.

Agree with all...

My Dot was bought 'new' although I think 2-3yrs in store somewhere...but it was perfect so it didn't matter

10yrs is stretching it a bit at that price...so either find another 'newer' one for the same price

Or strike a deal...perhaps 20% or so off

It would be interesting also to check what the selling price was 10yrs ago... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Guest farnsbarns

Sounds like you're in the UK. Who is the ex Gibson dealer in question. Remember, brand new or not, there's no Gibson warranty if they're not an authorised dealer. This guitar should be half the new price max imho.

Just my personal opinion. I'd rather have a Gibson guitar that is 10 years older than a new one.

It may have more value in the future!

well ya, 15 years closer the being considered Vintage!! good point. I'd still negotiate a price. I'd bet he'd love to off it.

Many thanks for your replies,

the guitar looks and plays like new, though you have to ask, why has it been there so long? They are asking about £300 less than other local retailers for similar but "new" instruments.

The only thing that I dislike about the guitar is the colour, which is tobacco sunburst, and that's only because it's the same as my Les Paul!

I don't know if there are any benefits in buying a 335 of this age compared with a factory fresh one.

I think the guy needs to move on price, otherwise I'll pass on it.

Regards,

Ian

Sounds like you're in the UK. Who is the ex Gibson dealer in question. Remember, brand new or not, there's no Gibson warranty if they're not an authorised dealer. This guitar should be half the new price max imho.

This IS the main thing right here.

Technically, the value of a guitar sold by a private party or a dealer who is not an authorised dealer SHOULD be priced as a used guitar. Then considerations made for condition, age, even dealer service (you might choose to pay a premium if the dealer is a good one to do business with).

It might be in better shape than a new one that has been hammered on in a shop that is still "new" because it has warrenty and service backing. I would also think that if it is 10 years old, chances of needing warrenty service is much lower.

But USED prices should be the starting point.

Archived