Gibson Brands Forums

Advice Please

Vega1

I have had significant recurring issues with my SG being able to hold proper tuning. I took it to get set up when I first bought it (used) and it seemed to be OK for a couple weeks. But now I have serious issues being able to get it tool hold tune for even one song.

Last time I changed strings I put graphite on the nut and it seems like when the strings are new it holds tune better, but pretty quickly (a couple days tops) it gets bad again.

Called a local tech (of which I have have extreme issues finding a decent one, if anyone knows one in the North Dallas/Collin county area please let me know) and he said the frets probably needed to be worked, which would cost a couple hundred bucks and there was no guarantee that was the problem. I would have thought the last tech would have mentioned it if this was the case, since he knew I was having tuning issues as well. And that's alot of money for no guarantee.

So my question is what should I be looking at here? Frets? Nut? Truss adjustment? Tuners? Anyone else had a similar experience? Its making me crazy, my LP and my Strat hold rock solid tuning by comparison. [cursing]

thanks very much for any input.

Most likely is that your nut is the source of your tuning issues. Most guitar manufacturers fail to properly cut nuts, and Gibson is no exception. Especially with 3 on a side tuners, the sharp angles of the strings breaking over the edge of the nut slots can grab strings, pinch strings, causing all sorts of tuning issues.....and sometimes even string breakage. A good luthier can file, shape, recut your nut properly, or simply make you a new nut that should make the guitar's tuning much more stable. If the nut is 100% ruled out as the cause, then the next culprit I'd chase down would be the tuners. But before you have anyone replace, cut, file anything......restring the guitar and properly wind the string around the posts, then stretch the strings as you tune up by gently tugging on the strings. More often than not, even with poorly cut nuts, I have found that graphite in the nut slots, and proper string winds and string stretching make any guitar pretty stable. :D Do the simple things first, before you jump in to filing and replacing parts!

I have two SGs: An Sunrise Orange Platinum Special and a Classic. The Special, specifically the G string, will not stay in tune. I can do a half step bend and guarantee that the string will go sharp. My Classic holds tune like a champ. My point is that you are not alone. I think the SG's design makes it susceptible to tuning weirdness. Who knows?

From experience, it is probably one of these two things: the nut and/or the tuners. If your guitar goes sharp, blame the nut. If it goes flat, it is probably the tuners. When I got my Classic last year I took her to a new tech for some maintenance and when we were talking about nuts he mentioned the lateral and height break angle of the strings and how that makes a huge difference in SGs' tuning stability. At some point I want to have him cut a new nut for my Special.

My advice is to find a good tech (might have to drive an hour plus) and get a them to install a new nut. Cutting nuts is an art so don't just go with any old tech. Material wise I like bone and if it is cut right you should not have tuning issues. Some people like graphite. I would advise against corian or synthetic ivory. This should run you under $100. That talk about fret work sounds like a load of bs to me; maybe an up-sell?

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. As I mentioned I have already tried replacing the strings multiple times, and graphite on the nut.

As far as the advice to find a good tech, I have searched and searched and even posted about that here:

My post

Apparently finding a good tech in the Dallas area is extremely difficult to do. The ones on the web either have websites but are out of business, don't answer their phones/messages/emails, don't appear to have the skills (such as the first tech I tried), tell me they aren't interested in working on guitars anymore only lessons, or suggest that key to all problems is having your frets redone for a couple hundred dollars. Really, thats what the guy told me... "99% of all the problems we run into are solved by doing fretwork". Which did not sound right to me at all. Maybe I'll just have to go to GC and roll the dice. <_<

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I do appreciate it.

It's the nut mostlikely. Def. not the frets ! There's quite a few good tech in dallas. Spencer at guitar Center LBJ is great. Dave Underwood at DFW guitars is great.Known him for years ! My link

Just a couple off the top of my head that are great and reasonable.

Called a local tech (of which I have have extreme issues finding a decent one, if anyone knows one in the North Dallas/Collin county area please let me know) and he said the frets probably needed to be worked, which would cost a couple hundred bucks and there was no guarantee that was the problem. I would have thought the last tech would have mentioned it if this was the case, since he knew I was having tuning issues as well. And that's alot of money for no guarantee.

So my question is what should I be looking at here? Frets? Nut? Truss adjustment? Tuners? Anyone else had a similar experience? Its making me crazy, my LP and my Strat hold rock solid tuning by comparison. [cursing]

thanks very much for any input.

Not exactly North Dallas, but if you don't mind a little driving go talk to Roger Crisler in Carrolton (http://crislerguitar.com/). He's set up all my guitars and I've never had a problem with any of them. I've even taken a few of them to him since I moved to Houston.

its not the frets at all, wow what a guy that guitar tech is!

My SG was full of issues, tuning especially on the G string was hectic not to mention wolftones on the 10th to 11th frets.

Graphite didn't help me, Big Bends nut sauce is great and check the back of your tuners to see if they are Gibson Deluxe (Kluson Style) if so these are sloppy tuners IMO. I swapped mine out for TonePros Kluson II (18:1) i personally found them to be night and day difference and coupled with the nut sauce i now dont have an issue

Archived