Gibson Brands Forums

1947 J-45 at Willies

duluthdan

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/1

Had occassion to stop at Willie's Vintage Guitars last week on a road trip that took me thru St. Paul Minnesota. Played the '47 refinished J-45. This guitar has a tapered headstock which results in a bit more string break-angle at the nut, and wow can you hear it. The mids literally sprang from this beast. In spite of what may be viewed as a value reducing refinish - the burst is a bit odd - this is a helluva player, with a K&K pickup. Very good thing I did not walk in there with 5 Grand, or this thing would have followed me home.

$5K for a vintage piece with a 'weird' burst and modern mods such as the K&K being added sounds like an expensive investment, you can never tell of course, but I wouldn't reckon there would be too much growth room in that in investment terms. 5k for a 'player' model would see me buy a new Std and keep 3k in my pocket.

I have not bought any guitars from Willies, but it is a nice site - the guitar pictures are easy to open and check - some other shops sites need to have a look at Willies webpage photos and how they are easy to find/operate! Some guitar sales websites you need to go through a few cartwheels to view a pic - my attention span is fairly short with rotten websites, unless of course, there is a prize Gibson at the end of the search. I like how Willies site has a small pic of the guitar you are interested in and then you can click to have a closer look. One of the most annoying sites, but with fabulous guitars, is Gruhns. By the time you get the pic of the guitar up, you have forgotten what you were looking for!

That said, he must have a very expensive web operator because his prices are pretty exxxy.....extreme.

BluesKing777.

$1800 for a B25?!

I really liked the '65 B25n I played for twenty years, but $1800 is a bit much, imho. Some of these can be great, while others can be complete duds. Saw one going for $1500 a couple of months ago, and the poor thing, although structurally intact, sounded like it had a sweatshirt stuffed inside! Paying another $300 at Willie's, it's still anybody's guess as to whether or not a few droplets of resonant tone would be included.

Right. I paid $900 for my '67 and by good fortune it was a tone gem. I converted the adj rosewood saddle to thin bone set into a rosewood slot from an old Gibson rectangular bridge. It set into the old saddle space on the adj, perched on two ebony dots and it rang like a bell. I'd match it against any LG2 for sound. I sold it to a Japanese guy in Manhattan for $1100 and figure it's in one of those wierd guitar shops in Tokyo by now. I applied the money toward getting my D18, so all was not in vain. Still, it's a small bod I miss playing. I'm still trying to bond with the Martin and have been tempted to try and trade out for an LG2.

Where's my Xanax?

Archived