Gibson Brands Forums

SG new bridge/ stop tail piece

CoreyT

This will be for my new 2012 '61 Reissue SG.

Watching Scott's video here reminded me I changed out my stop tail piece on my '73 Les Paul Deluxe back around '74, but I kept the Tuneomatic bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkzXmqU7Vk

I remember both falling off the guitar first time I changed strings when I was 16.

What is a good brand to replace both pieces with?

I saw in an issue of Guitar Player magazine too some replacement saddles that they say will not cut/break your strings like the stock Gibson saddles do on the Tuneomatic bridge.

Looking for a good bridge that has non sharp saddles on it.

Scott mentions this bridge in his video.

It has the set screws too so the bridge will not fall of the guitar when the strings are removed.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Locking_Roller_Bridge.html

Locking_Roller_Bridge_sm.jpg

I thought that vid was bull ****, never broke a string on any of my Gibbies and I'm very heavy handed. Adjust the two right and no problems. You want a nice clean break point on the bridge like the nut. I don't like the roller bridge unless your using a Vibrola of some type. If you must change look at the Tonepros locking bridge and stoptail, they also have them with graphite saddles if your worried about breaking strings. But every ones different and what works for you is all that counts.

Thanks, I will Google the Tonepros too.

Not worried so much about breaking strings, but I hate parts falling off the guitar when you do string changes.

Being loose like that bothers me, and if it does fall off, the nuts may loosen and get the string height off.

That video is dumb.

First, the bridge isn't sharp. It doesn't cut strings. I know this, I have two of them. I rest my hand on it, and it has never -- not once -- cut me or even scratched me. And before you go saying that the nickel and steel of a guitar string is softer and more fragile than human flesh, take a moment to think about how men have been using steel to rend flesh for thousands of years.

Second, while some folks have to clean their guitars more than others (for various reasons: different physiology/environments/air particles/seasons, etc), it doesn't require removing all the strings to get the guitar clean. You can get it clean one string at a time, or two, or even three. You might have bend a string to get it done (happily, strings accommodate this well). I can attest to this because I have first hand experience with it, and I should hope all of you do too.

Thirdly, anyone who outfits their vocabulary with "retarded" probably isn't well-qualified to identify what's smart and what isn't.

In about 50 years, I have yet to break a string over an ABR-1 bridge...lucky me. I break quite a few in the middle frets during hard bends...so I change the three solid strings more often before performing.

The concept of roller saddles appear to be a plus for tremolo equiped guitar. However, I don't see how the indvidual bridge height could be adjusted. Saddles can be cut/polished to follow the fret radius.

It's not really incovenient to just use masking tape on the bridge and stoptail when changing strings... seems like a fix for a non-existing problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this guy in the video does not have his saddles notched correctly. As someone else said. I have never broken a string on my SG and i have the original bridge. The statement that the Tune-O-Matic is a bad design, Well, I do not agree. A proper set up is essential.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I am calling shenanigans on this video too.

I do not appreciate being called retarded either. It's dumbf**k or $h!thead.

Guess I'm retarded then rofl. Usually change my strings one at a time, and don't recall any broken strings that I could connect to the tune o matic bridge. I've played SGs more years than I will admit to here [tongue]

Having said that, I just bought a Babicz full contact bridge for my ES 355 cause I like the theory behind it. My ES has a Bigsby so I figured why not, plus, they are supposed to increase both tone and sustain as the entire bridge makes contact to the top of the guitar... should be interesting :)

Archived