Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to remeber an artists name

FirstMeasure

There's an artist who did abstract, slightly grotesque paintings that were very popular in the 80's. They were kind of cartoon like, depicting strange scenes. Like a guy standing on the side of a road with half the skin missing from his face and a hand growing out of his head.

I realize it's a pretty vague thing to be asking about, but his name eludes me and I want to find some of his stuff to show a young friend of mine who's into strange art.

There's an artist who did abstract, slightly grotesque paintings that were very popular in the 80's. They were kind of cartoon like, depicting strange scenes. Like a guy standing on the side of a road with half the skin missing from his face and a hand growing out of his head.

I realize it's a pretty vague thing to be asking about, but his name eludes me and I want to find some of his stuff to show a young friend of mine who's into strange art.

Ralph Steadman...?

RalphSteadman--FearAndLoathingInLasvegas-1971-31-small.jpg

Ralph Steadman... don't know if that's who FirstMeasure was thinking of, but he certainly fits the description. Loved his illustrations of Hunter Thompson books such as the one picked by flem. Try this one of HS Thompson and his lawyer in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:

fal1_1024.jpg

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Archived