Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson V, Grace Potter Sig.

dem00n

I'd guess around 1175-ish on the street.

I don't know her. Don't have anything for or against and I wouldn't mind trying a set of BB's in a V. It's got some nice features, but I don't dig the two-tone and the line are on the pg. And before anyone says it's about the sound, not the looks, I get that, but if you're playing a V, the looks factor in at least a little.

I'm still kind of torn on dumping a bb1/2 set into my explorer. I already have a bunch of pointies with 57's in them and they sound awesome, but I've been wanting to try bb's for a while now after playing around with a midtown custom in the shop.

Personaly I love the two tone body and the pinstripes on the pickguard and I also think the binding looks great. I actually like the Nocturnal Brown and the fact that the back, sides and neck are a satin finsih are a huge plus in my opinion. This is one of the few singnature guitars I would like even if I wasn't a fan of the artist.I was expecting the price to be the same as the Derek Trucks SG so the fact that the street price is gonna be very close to the 68' V is probably the biggest plus in my opinion. I just hope I can scrape the funds together to bring one of these lovely ladies home.

For those of you who haven't heard of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals here are a few videos.

Ah, Mary

Paris(Ooh La La + Medicine

And Grace plays in Standard E and Open E depending on the song.

I was was gonna post four videos but it said I had to many media files in my post. So would it be against the rules to post more videos in back to back post. Just asking to make sure I follow the rules.

Edit:

Nevermind I think I figured out how to post the link to the video and not embed it.

There's been a bit about this Sig model in the 'Too many Les Pauls' thread over in the lounge.

I like it. I like the binding and the two-tone look. I'm not sure what Chechen wood is like but I'm guessing it will be just fine.

Plus; as it's around $10,500 cheaper than the '58 RI that helps quite a bit in the 'Might I buy one?' stakes.

P.

I'd play it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the huge rectangle case. I know, that's a dumb thing to be hung up on, but anybody that's tried carrying one in the breeze knows what I'm talking about. It's like a sail...haha. I like the finish and the binding though. It's a cool looking V.

There's been a bit about this Sig model in the 'Too many Les Pauls' thread over in the lounge.

I like it. I like the binding and the two-tone look. I'm not sure what Chechen wood is like but I'm guessing it will be just fine.

Plus; as it's around $10,500 cheaper than the '58 RI that helps quite a bit in the 'Might I buy one?' stakes.

P.

Definitely good selling points. And that 58 RI doesn't even have a bound neck.

I wouldn't toss the thing out if someone were to give it to me, but I wouldn't set aside funds to buy one either. I do like the brown as opposed to cherry or black. My own V's are in a natural finish (standard) and transparent amber (reverse) and I used to have a worn brown faded V. Don't much care for satin finishes, and I'd probably swap out the pg to a plain looking one. sound and feel wise, I'm sure it's just fine and the price doesn't seem like it's gonna be ludicrous either.

I wonder if the case is the rectangle style case of the V case becase if you look at sat least the 50's Tribute page it shows a cheap looking gig bag and the one you get is nothing like the picture. Personaly I like the rectangle style case better than the V case. As for the color I'm not a fan at all of the cherry finish on V's but I love the Nocturnal brown. And well I've already started saving for one.

Hello Thejay! You are right, I am afraid! Are there any pills against this? [biggrin]. Interesting, only a Gibson can feed my mania. Other guitar brands do not have this effect on me. Anyways, all people waste their money on something they really do not need to have that many of: the colleague next to me collects guns, the other spends His money on fishing equipment... Cheers... Bence

I like it and I don't.

- The binding is great.

- The "plain top" look is great

- The unique PG is cool as well.

Not a fan of the gold speed knobs (but easy fix and makes sense on this guitar), and the guitar seems to be a very deep brown, which requires DARK rosewood to my eye (lt brown looks bad). Everything put together makes this something that's not my cup of tea, but I applaud Gibson's concept on this one.

I bought a Grace Potter Flying V last Friday and am really happy with this guitar. The previous Flying V's I owned were late 70's models. There is nothing on the guitar that ID's it as a Grace Potter signature guitar. I'm a fan of GP and the Nocturnals, but I bought this V only because it looked, played and sounded great. The case I got with the GPV is a V-shape case with white interior, not rectangular with black. Unlike GP, I will be playing lots of solos on on this guitar! My Flying V playing heroes are Albert King and Michael Schenker.

I bought a Grace Potter Flying V last Friday and am really happy with this guitar. The previous Flying V's I owned were late 70's models. There is nothing on the guitar that ID's it as a Grace Potter signature guitar. I'm a fan of GP and the Nocturnals, but I bought this V only because it looked, played and sounded great. The case I got with the GPV is a V-shape case with white interior, not rectangular with black. Unlike GP, I will be playing lots of solos on on this guitar! My Flying V playing heroes are Albert King and Michael Schenker.

Cool.... I ordered mine last week, but there is only one in Canada and 6 on back order. Did you order yours or they had it in the store? If so how long did it take after the order?

Thanks..

I bought mine at Guitar Center, it was the only one they had. I just happened to pop into GC recently and came upon this V. Based on the look, I thought it was a Custom Shop model and would cost $$$. When I saw the price tag, I knew I had to get this guitar.

I bought mine at Guitar Center, it was the only one they had. I just happened to pop into GC recently and came upon this V. Based on the look, I thought it was a Custom Shop model and would cost $$$. When I saw the price tag, I knew I had to get this guitar.

How's the QC on the guitar?? Any issues?

There are no QC issues I can detect. Even the nut seems to be cut well. I did take a photo using my iPhone, but the photos Gibson provides are a better representation of how the guitar actually looks. The only adjustment I'm going to make is to raise the bridge slightly on the G,B and E string side. I also need to check the intonation.

There are no QC issues I can detect. Even the nut seems to be cut well. I did take a photo using my iPhone, but the photos Gibson provides are a better representation of how the guitar actually looks. The only adjustment I'm going to make is to raise the bridge slightly on the G,B and E string side. I also need to check the intonation.

Great thats good to know... Thanks.

Archived