Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo revisited

caseybean

Well, it's been about a year since I bought my advanced jumbo. In hindsight, I probably rushed into it. I love hindsight. I had finally convinced my wife-to-be that a new guitar was an appropriate wedding gift, and I pounced on the chance. I'd read all sorts of rave reviews of the AJ that certainly biased my opinion when I went out shopping. I played a few and settled on one that, at the time, 'spoke to me.'

However, when I got it home and spent some time with it, we had some trouble with each other. I already had a J-45 which was and is the answer to all my guitar desires, but with that as my point of reference, I had a hell of a time with the AJ. I suppose the J-45 totally fits my playing style as the ultimate, buttery strummer. Trying to play the AJ the same way I play the J-45 simply doesn't work. So I've spent the past year trying to coax the same sounds I get from my J-45 out of the AJ, at least to whatever extent is possible. I've had mixed success. I recently sent it off to get the bridge lowered because the action was excessively high. I'm not sure that a simple set up would have done the job, but I live in Japan and have language issues, and the action seemed to more of just a simple setup issue. At any rate, since I got the guitar back, it plays much much better, and I've devoted myself to playing it until I either love it or hate it, and so far the former is outweighing the latter.

When I went looking for a second guitar, I definitely wanted something that would be different from the J-45. I suppose I didn't realize just how different the AJ really was, which is a good thing.

I'm still not totally sold on the AJ, but the voices of all the folks who go wild about them are ringing in my head. I'm just trying to wrangle it in to my playin style, and I'm finally having some success. I have no doubt it's a great guitar, I just need to give it some time to mature and break in, and see what happens. It's a very young guitar (2006), and couple that with the loud nature of the AJ, and it can be a bit wild.

When I play my J-45, I can wail the living hell out of the thing and it's still a very manageable sound. If I try that with the AJ, it's out of control--loud and sloppy and not very satisfying (at least the way I play it). But I'm learning to take it a bit easier, figuring out which strings work best, and in general just figuring out how to get the sound I want out of the thing.

It can be frustrating at times, but like I said, I wanted something different from the J-45, and I certainly got it. It's amazing how big a difference bracing, scale, and wood can make in a two guitars that look a hell of a lot alike.

Not sure what purpose this post serves, but might be useful to someone thinking of an AJ, and I wanted to get something up here other than 'what do you think of the new forum?':-)

Now, if only I don't get a 'error' message!

Happy New Year.

I love the AJ too, but dont own one. but i was able recently to get a '93 Hummingbird for the trade in price of a guild f212xl. the hbird was in rough shape but only cosmetically. a total blessing this dread has been to me. and my wife has a j-45, and these guitars go really well together. the hbird is a great compliment to a j-45. the aj is a cannon, and i have played several. just way out of my league price wise, but i think the AJ is the king of acoustics. but all along i had no clue how much what i really wanted was a gibson square shouldered dread, spruce top and hog b/s. and my favorite guitar shop just happened to have one on the wall on saturday in rough enough shape to be equal in value to what i had to trade. i stand amazed....so if the AJ dont turn out to tbe the gibby that compliments your J-45, give a hummingbird a spin....

caseybean : I have a J-85 TV- J-45 TV- J-45 CJ-165- Hummingbird and assorted others in my collection. They all have their learning curve. For awhile I would only play my J-45, because that the one that felt the best for my playing style. But had all the others Guitars just sitting there and I really liked the way they played when I bought them. They are all different in their own way. And yet they all have that Gibson sound. I guess what I’m trying to say is to take the time to learn each Guitar. If it’s not right ,it not right then sell it

Good Luck

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been about a year since I bought my advanced jumbo. In hindsight, I probably rushed into it. I love hindsight. I had finally convinced my wife-to-be that a new guitar was an appropriate wedding gift, and I pounced on the chance. I'd read all sorts of rave reviews of the AJ that certainly biased my opinion when I went out shopping. I played a few and settled on one that, at the time, 'spoke to me.'

However, when I got it home and spent some time with it, we had some trouble with each other. I already had a J-45 which was and is the answer to all my guitar desires, but with that as my point of reference, I had a hell of a time with the AJ. I suppose the J-45 totally fits my playing style as the ultimate, buttery strummer. Trying to play the AJ the same way I play the J-45 simply doesn't work. So I've spent the past year trying to coax the same sounds I get from my J-45 out of the AJ, at least to whatever extent is possible. I've had mixed success. I recently sent it off to get the bridge lowered because the action was excessively high. I'm not sure that a simple set up would have done the job, but I live in Japan and have language issues, and the action seemed to more of just a simple setup issue. At any rate, since I got the guitar back, it plays much much better, and I've devoted myself to playing it until I either love it or hate it, and so far the former is outweighing the latter.

When I went looking for a second guitar, I definitely wanted something that would be different from the J-45. I suppose I didn't realize just how different the AJ really was, which is a good thing.

I'm still not totally sold on the AJ, but the voices of all the folks who go wild about them are ringing in my head. I'm just trying to wrangle it in to my playin style, and I'm finally having some success. I have no doubt it's a great guitar, I just need to give it some time to mature and break in, and see what happens. It's a very young guitar (2006), and couple that with the loud nature of the AJ, and it can be a bit wild.

When I play my J-45, I can wail the living hell out of the thing and it's still a very manageable sound. If I try that with the AJ, it's out of control--loud and sloppy and not very satisfying (at least the way I play it). But I'm learning to take it a bit easier, figuring out which strings work best, and in general just figuring out how to get the sound I want out of the thing.

It can be frustrating at times, but like I said, I wanted something different from the J-45, and I certainly got it. It's amazing how big a difference bracing, scale, and wood can make in a two guitars that look a hell of a lot alike.

Not sure what purpose this post serves, but might be useful to someone thinking of an AJ, and I wanted to get something up here other than 'what do you think of the new forum?':-)

Now, if only I don't get a 'error' message!

Happy New Year.

Hello - The great thrill about these forums is that you eventually bumps into post that totally covers your own situation. My new J-45 (it's from early 2010) just moved in and sounds like a heavenly dream come true. Even though it may compress a little when taking the beat, it simply sings with a depth, a glow, a shimmer, seldom if ever heard alike (in my universe anyway). It's as if the guitar has been playing for a decade or three, , , almost like an an old soul lives in there. Turning towards the bigger brother AJ, everything changes in a second. The feel is different, not that smooth, the sound gets louder and yes, there might be more of everything except, , , soul. It's an 2008 and haven't been played much, so of course it's pretty unfair to pre-judge. The two of us need time to meet and your phrase 'trouble with each other' seems to be right on the mark as the process begins. One tries to get closer to the instrument, not really knowing how. Sure I can fingerpick, sure I can strum, but where is the secret I'm suppose to find and polish. I experience some sort of transparency or a rather vapid factory-flavour behind all that volume instead. A thing that has to damp off as time passes if anything precious shall happen. Somehow I sense this is - or could be - a huge 6-string, but patience is definately needed. Else I'm affraid it'll have to pass. You wrote your statement in 2007, I'm very curious to know how the tale did continue. Hope this don't comes up too late and wish you still check the forum. Thank you for writing. Exciting, bit peculiar and wild fun.

the acouStic moNk

The thing about other people's recommendations is that what they like about a particular piece may have nothing to do with you. Take the Aj. Its rep is largely out of bluegrass: not as boomy as a D28, but loud enough to out-shout a banjar. Try to fingerpick like blind blake, tho, and you get too much bass and downstream sound. Or strum like his Bob-ness? no jingle-jangle. All depends on your needs and style.

I typically don't ever ask any of my guitars to be like one of the others. I actually like the differences and forcing myself to make small adjustments in my playing style depending on which of my 7 guitars I am playing.

Unlike the OP, I bonded right away with my AJ based on the sound, not the playability. I got it in a trade for a Taylor T5 and had three guitars to chosse from that day. Two were Taylors and then there was this great big dread with a tobacco sunburst and "ugly" pickguard. I didn't give the Gibson a second look until I had played my way through both Taylors and was not that impressed as neither either beat out or played as nice as my 1993 Taylor 612C that I also brought along to the trade meeting for reference. So I grabbed the AJ out of it's case, thinking I would probably be leaving this guys place with my T5. One G chord off the AJ and I knew that I had to take it home regardless of it's size, color and pickguard. After having my luthier adjust the nut slots all playability issues went away and it played as smooth as my Taylor but with a considerably different tone that I like.

Over the last couple years of owning my AJ, I find that it has opened up a bit. It used to take about 20 minutes of playing it to get the top moving or something... it was very noticable to me, but now it is ready to play as soon as I wrap my hands around her neck.

Some guitars just take a bit of time to find their place in any collection... my AJ is here to stay as it has a definate place.

I had the same dilemma,as I bought an AJ in about 95',before they were a common reissue.I had only had mahogany guitars until then,but rosewood attributable or not,the AJ was a whole different animal.I found it to be such an aggresive,punch in the face tone,I certainly could not play the AJ with the same hand/pick style as a Hummngbird or SJ.I tried but could never get the feeling of taming the AJ,nor get it to fit my vocal stylings while playing guitar.In hindsight,I really think I was lacking capability from a expertise guitar player standpoint,especially when I kept trying to prove to myself the AJ " was the best guitar Gibson ever built".Oddly though I found the warmth and smothness of mahogany somewhat lacking and started leaning towards maple guitars.My family suggests I am losing my hearing(I might be)but that maple sparkle which I once found a little strident AND hard to control seemed less so after my AJ experience. Now with a J-200,J-185 and maple Hummingbird I realize that my taste and ability had likely changed.That said,I had the opportunity to play a few AJ's of late and still found the model to much for me,yet I had a J-35 with many of the same build specs minus the rosewood,and loved it dearly.That said a D-28 never rang my bell either so maybe I don't know good when I hear it.Ultimately when I've had a guitar that made me doubt it,especially whem I played other guitars instead ,the doubter eventually moved on.Took me awhile to realize I don't grow into guitars,it's there or it is not.

Todd

I'm a big Rosewood fan. I was going to get a D-28. Played my AJ and that was it. Once the action was adjusted it was all good. It gets a little bit tempermental sometimes when the weather changes but when its "on" its the best sounding guitar I've heard. I really noticed how it fills a room when my brother played it and I was sitting across from him. I am however, firmly in the " gotta fit right the first play or its not going to happen " camp. If you trust your instincts you know when a guitar is a keeper within about 5 minutes or so. If you have to convince yourself that it will get better, its time to move on.

"when its "on" its the best sounding guitar I've heard" But best in what sense the "best"? What specifically grabs you? I wouldnt be a bit surprised that what draws you to yr AJ would be a negative to our OP. Which is why I keep sayin' that's it's not enough to say its the "best" -- need to say why. Ps to TP -- I know you love yours to death (salute!) but as the great Commander Cody once made, "one man's mat is another man's poison." Cheers.

Hmmm, I guess the "best I've ever heard" is a bit of a blanket statement. A close approximation would be the guitars on "Behind blue eyes " and "Love ain't for keeping " by The Who. My AJ certainly has that kind of volume and clarity. Those tones are very close to what it sounds like.

AJ and J-45 not even the same species animal. My new J-45 played smooth and clear right from the start . AJ I struggled with till I had bridge and truss rod adjustment. not similar in sound or action. Same song played the same way on both guitars doesn't even have the same feel. hard to explain but when heard side by you can always tell the difference. mainly the rosewood vs. mahogany.

"Ps to TP -- I know you love yours to death (salute!) but as the great Commander Cody once made, "one man's mat is another man's poison." Cheers.

Don't I know it brother! [thumbup]

Martins seem to be my "poison" but I still always keep picking one up hoping it will speak to me...

Had to let the AJ pass. Sold it today and it seems right. The ragtime-guy who bought it, at some point regretted having not brought his bottleneck so I spiraled towards the cellarkitchen closet and luckily found a glas mug there. After slidin' a few notes he soon began shining. One could clearly hear why. He obviously caught something I - not a slider myself - hadn't touched atall. There we went, , , all three of us.

Some relief is now rising. I would never have been able to see this guitar through.

"Oohhh sweet J-45 Standard - finally alone". . . Almost anyway.

The acouStic moNk

Sometimes I think it depends on how you go about things.

Count me amongst those folks who are attracted to both the J-45 and the AJ. Not because they are similar, but because they are different. That said, the examples that I own do share some similarities.

I typically define what it is I'm looking for in a guitar and then find an example the suits my preferences. I don't like guitars that compress too much. I like a fairly dynamic response. When I was looking for a J-45, I passed on those that compressed too much. As I mostly fingerpick, I also prefer guitars that are fairly well balanced, so I passed on those J-45s that were too bass heavy or weren't strong enough in the trebles. After a while I found one that worked for me, in my case a J-45 TV, and I've been really happy with it because it suits my preferences.

I took the same approach when I was looking for an AJ. Now with the AJ, I didn't really have to worry about compression, but I was still looking for an example that was well balanced. Also, I don't like guitars that sound "too complex", I don't really like a lot of sparkling overtones — not for my style of playing. I'm more of a mahogany guy at heart as I like a dry,woody tone. Once again, after being patient and playing a number of different examples I found an AJ that works for me. It's a great guitar (for me). Plenty of punch and volume, yet the tone is drier/simpler than most rosewood guitars. Many pickers might not care for my particular AJ, but what the hell, I'm the one whose going to be playing it.

One man's meat is another man's poison absolutely applies here. Generalities are just that and no two guitars sound exactly alike. So while the general comments regarding each of these two models typically hold true, there are always exceptions to the rule. They say patience is a virtue and when it comes to buying guitars I've certainly found that to be true.

All the best,

Guth

Sometimes I think it depends on how you go about things.

Count me amongst those folks who are attracted to both the J-45 and the AJ. Not because they are similar, but because they are different. That said, the examples that I own do share some similarities.

I typically define what it is I'm looking for in a guitar and then find an example the suits my preferences. I don't like guitars that compress too much. I like a fairly dynamic response. When I was looking for a J-45, I passed on those that compressed too much. As I mostly fingerpick, I also prefer guitars that are fairly well balanced, so I passed on those J-45s that were too bass heavy or weren't strong enough in the trebles. After a while I found one that worked for me, in my case a J-45 TV, and I've been really happy with it because it suits my preferences.

I took the same approach when I was looking for an AJ. Now with the AJ, I didn't really have to worry about compression, but I was still looking for an example that was well balanced. Also, I don't like guitars that sound "too complex", I don't really like a lot of sparkling overtones — not for my style of playing. I'm more of a mahogany guy at heart as I like a dry,woody tone. Once again, after being patient and playing a number of different examples I found an AJ that works for me. It's a great guitar (for me). Plenty of punch and volume, yet the tone is drier/simpler than most rosewood guitars. Many pickers might not care for my particular AJ, but what the hell, I'm the one whose going to be playing it.

One man's meat is another man's poison absolutely applies here. Generalities are just that and no two guitars sound exactly alike. So while the general comments regarding each of these two models typically hold true, there are always exceptions to the rule. They say patience is a virtue and when it comes to buying guitars I've certainly found that to be true.

All the best,

Guth

Hey Guth - Well said. Like the fact that you respect the two so much. You show insight and sensitivity. Mind you that I realize the AJ has enormous potential (even made an appointment with the buyer 'bout phoning him a half/whole year from now to hear how they developed), just didn't feel able to 'lift it' myself.

What really turns me on is the thought of all those different sounding same models. I'd gladly spend a day running through 3 lines of 20 guitars overthere in Montana : 45's/SJ's, AJ's and H-birds. With a good healthy break for every ten of course. I'd come out as an enlighted man, "Yes, I'm beginning to know", , , or totally flappergasted.

What really turns me on is the thought of all those different sounding same models. I'd gladly spend a day running through 3 lines of 20 guitars overthere in Montana : 45's/SJ's, AJ's and H-birds. With a good healthy break for every ten of course. I'd come out as an enlighted man, "Yes, I'm beginning to know", , , or totally flappergasted.

A person might well end up both enlightened and flabbergasted after such an experience. Anytime I've been to a dealer with a large inventory of guitars and I've taken the time to play a bunch of them, I'm often surprised to find that the guitar that impressed me the most quite often wasn't the one I would have expected to do so. In other words, if I headed to Montana, or any place that stocks a lot of Gibsons (or any other brand for that matter), with the intent to buy a guitar on that particular visit, then chances are that I'd probably end up with a different guitar than the model that I had in mind (assuming that I was being open-minded and spending my money based on how the guitar played and sounded, versus the way it looked). I ended up with my Gibsons by taking a different approach — playing as many examples as I could of a specific model over time until I found the one the finally knocked my socks off.

In the past, I've owned guitars that were highly regarded by others but they just didn't really do it for me, including some Gibsons. (When you stop to think about it, almost any model of guitar is highly regarded by some group of people in this world.) While those guitars didn't exactly blow me away, I'm sure that each one of them would have proven to be the perfect guitar for someone else out there. When it comes to guitars, not everybody is looking for the same tone, volume, balance, playability, feel, size, appearance or price and those things are of varying priority depending on the person and their financial situation. Maybe you're buying a single "be all, do all" guitar or something different to compliment what it is you already have. The key thing is understanding what it is that you're looking for in a guitar and what your priorities are. Whether a person has only been playing guitar for a few years or has been playing for decades, or perhaps a person is more of a collector than a player, chances are that person is going to be much happier with a guitar if they knew what their priorities were when they bought it.

"One man's meat is another man's poison" really does seem to sum things up nicely.

All the best,

Guth

Archived