Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a Les Paul Studio worn brown for a new project

daveinspain

Woah id love to do a project like that!

Well i would probably suggest getting the classic Gibson bridge and saddles, although roller saddles are better... I would suggest doing everything possible to improve tuning stability, so maybe get after-nut locking.

Then slap in some 57's, split-coil em, and you have heaven!

+10000 on Goldleaf Goldtop, something i was pondering suggesting to Gibson as a custom order colour (yes yes..i said COLOUR!)

Maybe, if you are adventurous, install a Floyd Rose or Kahler...

okay first of congrats on getting the LP project, i love working on guitars. i would totally love to do something like that. you should post pics as you get more stuff on it. with the pickups if you are looking for a vintage but slightly gritty then usaul tone i would say a seymour duncan uncovered pearly gates in the bridge position and a burstbucker in the neck. gold hardware would look cool but i think chrome would look better on that guitar.

on another topic. why do have to diss fenders les paul fanatic? i mean im totally a LP player all the way it's really hard for me to find a fender with a neck a like, but they are still cool and sound sweet. also

AXEWRAPS XD THOSE R SO FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!! ](*,) i bet the jonas posers would use them. i cant believe they offered to make an axewrap of that cool LP you have XD awesome

Woah id love to do a project like that!

Well i would probably suggest getting the classic Gibson bridge and saddles' date=' although roller saddles are better... I would suggest doing everything possible to improve tuning stability, so maybe get after-nut locking.

Then slap in some 57's, split-coil em, and you have heaven!

+10000 on Goldleaf Goldtop, something i was pondering suggesting to Gibson as a custom order colour (yes yes..i said COLOUR!)

Maybe, if you are adventurous, install a Floyd Rose or Kahler...

[/quote']

Thanks Voyteskimo, I've never had any tuning stability problems so I'll pass on the after-nut lock... Now the split-coil is something I think would be way-cool.... Do I need to have 4 lead pupps for that.... Do the sell a wire harness and pots already set up for that?

okay first of congrats on getting the LP project' date=' i love working on guitars. i would totally love to do something like that. you should post pics as you get more stuff on it. with the pickups if you are looking for a vintage but slightly gritty then usaul tone i would say a seymour duncan uncovered pearly gates in the bridge position and a burstbucker in the neck. gold hardware would look cool but i think chrome would look better on that guitar.

on another topic. why do have to diss fenders les paul fanatic? i mean im totally a LP player all the way it's really hard for me to find a fender with a neck a like, but they are still cool and sound sweet. also

AXEWRAPS XD THOSE R SO FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!! :P i bet the jonas posers would use them. i cant believe they offered to make an axewrap of that cool LP you have XD awesome[/quote']

Thanks Nikko16, I'll definitely post photos as I move long the project... Do you have that pick up configuation in your guitar or have you played one like that? Sounds interesting... will it clean up as well as be gritty??

okay first of congrats on getting the LP project' date=' i love working on guitars. i would totally love to do something like that. you should post pics as you get more stuff on it. with the pickups if you are looking for a vintage but slightly gritty then usaul tone i would say a seymour duncan uncovered pearly gates in the bridge position and a burstbucker in the neck. gold hardware would look cool but i think chrome would look better on that guitar.

AXEWRAPS XD THOSE R SO FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!! :P i bet the jonas posers would use them. i cant believe they offered to make an axewrap of that cool LP you have XD awesome[/quote']

I'm not dissin' Fenders I'm just sayin' that axewraps would look better on a Fender as opposed to a Les Paul

it's all about the curves man. That LP is Zakk's not mine but I do have half a mind once I get moved and all that jazz to get a LP with a maple top and have it finished like that. I just don't think that would look good on my worn brown Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. Oh and Dave congrats on the LP project, just outta curiousity, was that a Vintage Mahogany you won?

I'm not dissin' Fenders I'm just sayin' that axewraps would look better on a Fender as opposed to a Les Paul

it's all about the curves man. That LP is Zakk's not mine but I do have half a mind once I get moved and all that jazz to get a LP with a maple top and have it finished like that. I just don't think that would look good on my worn brown Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. Oh and Dave congrats on the LP project' date=' just outta curiousity, was that a Vintage Mahogany you won?[/quote']

Hey LPF, Yes i believe it is a LP VM.... although the guy listed it as a Les Paul worn brown... It is a Studio based LP... Must look pretty close to yours.... No?

Hey LPF' date=' Yes i believe it is a LP VM.... although the guy listed it as a Les Paul worn brown... It is a Studio based LP... Must look pretty close to yours.... No?[/quote']

Yeah, it does look like mine which thinkin' about mine you think I should take the pickguard off of it, kinda gets in the way when I chicken pick.Pickups, P-94's clean when you need them clean and when they're dirty, they're dirty. Tuners, Grover Kidney Bean Tuners.

Dave I have a LPVM and I have considered a refinish in the almost 4 years I have had it. But believe it or not my wife loves the finish of it and does not want me to touch it.

This is what I have considered:

-Silver leaf top.

-Gold leaf top.

-Copper painted top. Using real Copper paint.

I thought of adding a faux binding on the body, basically pinstriping with paint of stain.

I agree with Tim that if you are looking for something different go with SD pickups, there is no point on buying a strip down guitar and then adding similar stock components.

Knowing the kind of craftsmanship you have access to in Spain have you considered engraved hardware? ala "El Dorado", they do Tele engravings but just to give you a visual http://www.eldoradostraps.com/products4.htm.

It would be really cool to have a custom engraving on your pickups and stop tail piece but I do wonder if you would have to buy the pickups and cover by separate in oder to have them engraved...

Dave I have a LPVM and I have considered a refinish in the almost 4 years I have had it. But believe it or not my wife loves the finish of it and does not want me to touch it.

This is what I have considered:

-Silver leaf top.

-Gold leaf top.

-Copper painted top. Using real Copper paint.

I thought of adding a faux binding on the body' date=' basically pinstriping with paint of stain.

I agree with Tim that if you are looking for something different go with SD pickups, there is no point on buying a strip down guitar and then adding similar stock components.

Knowing the kind of craftsmanship you have access to in Spain have you considered engraved hardware? ala "El Dorado", they do Tele engravings but just to give you a visual http://www.eldoradostraps.com/products4.htm.

It would be really cool to have a custom engraving on your pickups and stop tail piece but I do wonder if you would have to buy the pickups and cover by separate in oder to have them engraved...

[/quote']

Thanks StiffHand... I'll check out their stuff.... I like the custom pick ups and wiring ideas and I'll be doing something along those lines for sure.... I'm glad people are responding positively to the gold leaf top idea. I had thought about doing that for a while now but thought it might be too much bling.... I

• 3 months later...

Dave,

I just bought basically the same project guitar as you from Stratosphire........I ran into a little problem with the bridge mounting. I noticed that the holes for the bridge bushings are not large enough to fit nashville bridge bushings and too large for a ABR-1 posts. If anyone knows the correct bridge for a Les Paul VM please let me know. You can see in the picture that the bridge mounting holes are pretty small but not small enough for the ABR-1 Posts. I bought both kinds of bridges and neither fit. :o I really don't want to drill out the holes to accommodate the nashville style bushings if I don't have to.

As far as pickups go, I am going to put a set of Bill Lawrence L-500 pickups in mine if I ever figure out the bridge mounting issue.

Iggy

Archived