Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations Appreciated

SRV-Zeppelin

Hello all, I don't do a lot of posting in the acoustic forums, but I was hoping to get some help.

As soon as I'm done paying off my Les Paul (see avatar) I plan on getting a good electric-acoustic Gibson as I play acoustic a lot and do a lot of gigging. I'm looking at either a J-45, J-185, ir SJ-200 Modern Classic (I would go with TV but don't want to do after-market work to have electronics installed) and was hoping to attain some info.

What's the difference between a normal J-185 and the J-185 EC, other than the cutaway? ($700 difference according to MF)

And which guitar would you recommend? (of the 3 models previously listed)

Thanks in advance for the help,

SRV-Zeppelin

Hi. Good to have you over here.

I'm no expert on the J185 but one of the differences between the normal and EC models, is the electronics.

The normal MC has a soundhole volume control, whereas the EC has on board eq and tuner, located on the upper side.

I have an SWD cutaway which has the Fishman on board controls which I understand are on the J185 EC and I really like it. I have gigged a couple of times with several others in a band and I use one of those rubber feedback cancelling thingys, that locates in the sound hole. I don't think you can use these with the "normal" electronics as you would not have access to the volume control. Could be wrong about that though.

This may be important when playing live (as you said you do) if feedback is a problem. You can also,to an extent, dail out some feedback with the eq.

I love the versatility of mine even though I don't do very much live, it's great to have the flexibility when I do.

The Fishman used in the cutaway seems to be less popular on this forum than the Baggs electronics which I believe are in the non cutaway versions of the SWD and J185. I've played an SWD12 with the Baggs electrics and it's top class.

Many will say test drive a few before you buy, but you know that already!

I'll leave all the technical stuff to the real experts but hope my observations are of some help.

BTW, that's the best signature on the Forum - love it!

At this point in time, I prefer the SJ200 Modern Classic for playing either in a club venue, or a medium-sized room such as a coffeehouse or open mic cafe. The tone and presence of the SJ200 MC is wonderful, either miked thru the board or thru a small acoustic amp. It's an impressive guitar with impressive sound, even barefoot. You won't be disappointed.

Maple is good as a hedge against feedback. Likewise the smaller J185 or th Everly Bros model (J180?) model, which has a shallower body. And dont rule out the Cj165s- being used to an LP, the smaller body might be more comfortable to handle. Id 2nd ZWs opinion re soundhole PUs (less quacky) but that's not really part of my MO.

Thanks for the help guys- and the comment on my signature. #-o

I have played all 3 guitars I've mentioned (j185, sj200 and j45) and I have to say I like the SJ-200 best because of its bright, warm tone, but I am leaning towards the J-185 simply because it's smaller and more portable. I figure one of these days I'm going to take a trip to Bozeman (about a 14 hr drive from where I live) and spend an entire day at Music Villa trying out every acoustic they have and bring home the one I like best.

Also... are certain Gibson acoustics more sensitive than others to changes in temperature, pressure, etc?

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

High end stuff = lighter build = more sensitive.

If you like maple' date=' Id AB the J200, J185, and a CJ165 w/Mpl b/s. [/quote']

good points, jk. i was thinking a guy who plays mostly electric would enjoy the versatility of the j-45. good for picking, strumming and it can take a heavy hand and sound great with light or medium strings. good starting point to get the full spectrum.

i was thinking a guy who plays mostly electric would enjoy the versatility of the j-45. good for picking' date=' strumming and it can take a heavy hand and sound great with light or medium strings. good starting point to get the full spectrum.[/quote']

Also a good point. Try before you buy.

What's the difference between a normal J-185 and the J-185 EC' date=' other than the cutaway? ($700 difference according to MF)

SRV-Zeppelin [/quote']

As has been pointed out previously, the electronics are substantially different. Also , the J185EC has an abalone rosette and a bound head stock. It's generally a little more upscale in appearance.

I just noticed they have changed the design a bit since I bought mine. Back then they were calling it the J185EC "Blues King Electro", which also featured a solid mustache bridge and a shaped and bound mustache filigree at the end of the fretboard.

It's an outstanding and versatile instrument. I was pretty well set on a J200 when I purchased this, but after playing several side by side I found that this one suited me better. YMMV.

good points' date=' jk. i was thinking a guy who plays mostly electric would enjoy the versatility of the j-45. good for picking, strumming and it can take a heavy hand and sound great with light or medium strings. good starting point to get the full spectrum.[/quote']

Exactly. I tried out a J-45 TV about a month ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Compared to the J-185 and SJ-200 Modern Classics that were at the store, it was completely awesome. I'm not sure how the J-45 modern classic compares as I haven't played one...

thanks for the tips!

Well i must agree with SRV-Zeppelin i recently bought a J-45 TV after trying like 100 guitars.. And well it really stands out of the rest.. The sound is like.. Crisp but yet with a bass that wont got for nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWH3zm-fWTU&feature=related

I really think this clip justifices the sound of a good J-45 (or a J-50 in this case, well whatever).. =)

Zep-- if you are wow'd by the TV' date=' you may find MC Gibsons .....lacking. They tend to be more heavily braced than the TVs, so stiffer. harsher. If you want acoustic tone as well, we are back to what Zomby suggested: a TV with a soundhole PU. J [/quote']

That sounds like a good idea. Whilst on a trip to Bozeman I tried out about 5 TV guitars (including the three aforementioned models) and found them to be much preferable to MCs. they just seemed more... there. I especially like the J-45 because it's not overly-fancy (at least compared to some of the other acoustics Gibson makes) and it has more kick and sound projection than the j-185 or sj-200.... at least it seemed to when I played it. 8-[

If I did buy a TV and install a sound-hole PU (no electronics, just pickup and jack), what brand would you recommend, and is there a certain place I should take it to get it done?

I still don't like the idea of doing aftermarket work on a Gibson acoustic, but that J-45 TV is so my style of guitar...

zep, do yourself a favour and go for the SJ200. If you don't, there will always be that thought in the back of your mind "what if? How would life be if I'd reached for that glittering, moustachioed prize at the very top of the Gibson tree?" I wouldn't part with mine for all the tea in china. I love all my Gibsons, but the SJ200 is just ridiculous. It is The Don, and practically owns me! The MCs are wonderful, the TVs are great and the Custom Shops are delicious. You can't go wrong. Incredible guitars with huge charm, amazing tone and a brightly chequersd history fettered to some of the most influential and important music of all time.

I would love to put a K&K Pure Mini Western in a TV. Lovely tone, and brilliant non-invasive installation. No tone-sucking piezo strip betwixt saddle and bridge. It would be perfect. Piezo usually requires a synthetic saddle to get the best out of it, whereas you can keep the delicious bone saddle tone with the K&K. Mmm!

I would love to put a K&K Pure Mini Western in a TV. Lovely tone' date=' and brilliant non-invasive installation. No tone-sucking piezo strip betwixt saddle and bridge. It would be perfect. Piezo usually requires a synthetic saddle to get the best out of it, whereas you can keep the delicious bone saddle tone with the K&K. Mmm![/quote']

srv! this is the way to go. look into the k&k. many on the forum love them and they are, as jinder says, non-invasive. i believe they just stick like tentacles to a couple places under the soundboard and then run directly to the output jack. no drilling. and on a $2800cdn guitar, drills would frighten me.

Thanks guys!

and on a $2800cdn guitar' date=' drills would frighten me. [/quote']

Exactly! I'll definitely have to check out K&K. I'm still thinking J-45... but as I said, I'll have to head to Bozeman and just come home with whatever feels the most "right." Although with my current rate of income, that probably won't be for another year...

Archived