Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Grabber 3 70s Tribute Bass

matbard

I had a '76 G-3 for a while and I liked it.

Pros - slim neck, and the Bill Lawrence pickups really sounded great.

Cons - the weight was surprising. It was pretty heavy, but that's not unusual for maple.

The new one looks to be very much improved all around. I like the set neck. The original Lawrence pickups were the real strong point on this bass. If they've managed to keep similar tone shapes the reissue G-3 should be a very nice bass indeed.

• 1 month later...

I acquired a Grabber 3 '70s Tribute today. What an Axe. It's everything I was looking for in a Gibson Bass. Sticker price at Sam Ash is $999. I don't like the gig bag that was supplied with it, but the bass makes up for it. The switch is handy, and works the pup's sounds great. The upper setting on it is, bridge and mid pups. The center setting is, all three pups. The lower setting is mid and bridge pups. The neck action is smooth. [thumbup]

cool. it looks like it covers a lot of sonic territory. the GK is pretty versatile, too. B)

The GK 700RB-ll really surprised me. I was looking to replace my 410 cab. The sales guy hooked up the GK into the Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab I was looking at. Everything sounded so good, I replaced the head, getting the GK to power the Ampeg.

if the neck has the same profile as the 70s neck, it's easy to understand why you're playing it so much! [thumbup]

It feels very comfortable with the long scale, and the neck is reasonable in shape.

I'm checking out the Gator GPE-BASS-TSA case. The Grabber 3 '70s Tribute, isn't the easiest bass to get a good fit on a hardshell case. The gig bag supplied with it, doesn't make it.

For right now, I'm going with a generic "Guitar Research" gig bag. Gator Bag replied to my e-mail suggesting I go with a custom made case. They don't offer any cases with an interior width with greater than 13.5 inches for a bass. Great bass, Lousy case availability. [thumbdn]

I could almost under stand if they had the body blocks, and wanted to use them up to do the Grabber 3 Tribute, or it wouldn't be cost efficient to do the cases for the Grabber 3 Tribute. But the gig bag supplied is so lacking. It's a $1,000 dollar Gibson Bass in a CHEAP gig bag. Even Fender supplies a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag with the higher priced basses that don't come with a hardshell case. G&L does the same with their Deluxe Gig Bags with their Indonesian made Tribute series.

This is one of the best playing, and sounding Gibson basses I've played in a while too.

I may check about the availability through some local Gibson dealers on the cases you mentioned also.

Archived