Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Neck

Smurfbird

Hi everyone. I am new here. I just received a 2007 Gibson Bird from eBay last week and I'm finding the neck quite thick in my hands. I have an Epi Bird and that neck is much smaller. I remember playing a friend's old Dove back in the 80s and loved the sound and action. Just wondering if anyone else has found the neck intimidating. I do have small hands, but I'm hoping that new strings and lowered action will make it more comfortable.

Insights please!

Thanks in advance.

If the neck itself is too beefy, I take a kitchen sponge with mild/fine sand-paperish material on the one surface and give the whole neck a treat.

I go gently as with anything on a guitar, saddle etc. and take 30 'moves'.

You have to learn how much you remove before getting to 50 or more. Continue till you hit the golden point - while playing, your hands will soon smoothen the nitrocellulose-lacquer back to normal.

Don't know if they sell those sponges where you are -

If the neck itself is too beefy, I take a kitchen sponge with mild/fine sand-paperish material on the one surface and give the whole neck a treat.

I go gently as with anything on a guitar, saddle etc. and take 30 'moves'.

You have to learn how much you remove before getting to 50 or more. Continue till you hit the golden point - while playing, your hands will soon smoothen the nitrocellulose-lacquer back to normal.

Don't know if they sell those sponges where you are -

You do that?

Sounds like you're used to 1.68 guitars, the newer specs from Bozeman built guitars is typically 1.725, while a fairly minute difference in measurement terms, it can feel bulky in the hands if you're used to smaller necks. I'd also say give it a while, you can always take a little away from a neck but can never get more on... persevere for a little while till your hands have adjusted, if it's the same in a few weeks perhaps a luthier can help you out.

Messing with the neck profile is not an amateur job so I would recommend having a pro do it for you over having a go yourself.

While I played many a smaller necked guitar years ago, I couldn't go back to anything less than 1.725 now, the perfect mix between strumming and fingerpicking space if you ask me, but, it's an individual thing... don't be too hasty about having the profile taken down some.

Good luck

You do that?

Absolutely - My new F-bird and the H-bird don't need it. They fit my hands perfectly. But the Dove had a strange squarish neck and received the sponge. Same with the J-45 Standard and the V-shaped Martin HD 28V.

As said, I go extremely carefully and each time it brings me closer to the ideal grab.

Improvise, adapt and overcome. Taylor Swift has very small hands and even though she endorses Taylor guitars (who would of thunk it?). She plays a Humming Bird frequently. I think wth practice and some technique adjustments, you will be playing that Bird in no time.

I have the opposite problem, I have large hands and when I play my GS mini or electric guitar lead, I have to squeeze my fingers onto the frets to make em fit.

But I have learned to adapt. in a typical jam session I will play a half a dozen guitars from LPs, to Strats and Tellys, to Birds, Yamahas (acoustic), 12 string acoustics. Taylor mini etc.. I find the more different neck sizes I play the more flexible my guitar playing becomes.

A good Bird is one of the best sounding mass produced guitars out there. IMO the "Best". That's why I own two.

Good luck with your new Bird.

Disclaimer: Not all Birds are created equal. you gotta play a few to find the right one.

Here is the link to the guitar I purchased off eBay.... the pictures are very accurate and better than anything I could post...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320968529202?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I've been playing the guitar regularly and getting used to the neck. It's coming together for me. Looking to hook up with my guitar luthier to lower action and put lighter strings on in the next week or so, now that I'm sure she's a keeper. The tone is so nice and deep and just superior to any guitar I've played and that includes a 1958 Martin D-28 that I played growing up (thanks Dad!)

Only problem with this guitar? I can't bring it anywhere. To see it in anyone else's hands would make me nervous and potentially angry.

Absolutely gorgeous!

You are doing the right thing by living with it before deciding to do anything drastic. I've found that a new guitar often feels different and slightly uncomfortable at first if it is different from what we are used to, but we usually adapt pretty quickly.

Neck shape in particular is one of these things that varies a lot, and can feel awkward at first.

Archived