Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young

j45nick

There is a really excellent article about Neil Young on today's (19 September) NY Times website, apparently adapted from a longer article in last Sunday's NY Times Magazine. The Times free online access policy (up to 10 articles a month) allows you to read this five-page article online at nytimes.com.

One thing that came out is that Young's autobiography, "Waging Heavy Peace", will be released next week.

Although I've never been a huge Neil Young fan, understanding what makes important musical artists tick is always a worthwhile endeavor. I'm going to pick this up as soon as it is released.

What I didn't know is that Young has epilepsy, had polio as a child, has one son completely disabled by cerebral palsy, and has another son mildly disabled with the same disorder. Life isn't always a walk in the park.

And I learnt last week that he is Canadian. Always thought he was from the US.

I love musician biographies and seems like he's had his fair share of challenges and triumphs. Not a big fan of NY also, but we recently added Old Man to the reportoire and that sort of sparked some more interest.

Might check it out, thanks for the heads up Nick !

Life isn't always a walk in the park.

Young is a man who had his share of problems this time around - the 2 disabled children have different mothers, as I remember it.

Just got the well acclaimed Shakey biography from circa 2oo3 a few weeks ago. That's enough for me at the moment. Will look forward to hear about the new one though.

A biiiig fan - his songs are fun to play, , , and more than that.

Still can't forgive him for calling the relatively recent CSN&Y reunion tour and the whole anti-war project Déjà vu - that title is the bedrock for the quartet and thus sacred.

Besides he took the democracy out of the act by telling the others what and what not to do before take-off.

Hubris from the highest shelf there Neil, , , you might have won the financial lottery of the 4, but don't tilt the band magic !

thanks for the heads up , should be a good read , his father was a prize winning writer . and he's shown that he's quite witty a guy . cant wait for that

shakey is a good read em7 , a hearse for a band van was a fantastic idea . the shelf slid out with all the gear on it !!

i'm sure you'll be daydreaming about the laurel canyon days what with your old hippy tendancies :)

mustve been a wonderful period that , until mr manson f@cked it all up :- /

Danvill - This looks like Neil, but I can't believe the haircut. Never saw that before, , , , and I've seen all existing pictures of the man. Except a 1972 one where he sits at home with a Strat !?! , which I found the other day. So could I be wrong. . .

Laurel Canyon has been a dreamscape for me through the years bbg. Walking from house to house jamming and jiving always sounded like a nice way to spend a couple of summers. . .

Danvill - This looks like Neil, but I can't believe the haircut. Never saw that before, , , , and I've seen all existing pictures of the man. Except a 1972 one where he sits at home with a Strat !?! , which I found the other day. So could I be wrong. . .

Laurel Canyon has been a dreamscape for me through the years bbg. Walking from house to house jamming and jiving always sounded like a nice way to spend a couple of summers. . .

You can see that it was done in 1978.

My brother gave it to Neil to sign maybe 20 years ago.

Here's a newspaper article advertising a gig we did with Neil, Stills and Buffalo Springfield:

buffalo-peter-wheat_zps6f9598e6.jpg

You can see that it was done in 1978.

My brother gave it to Neil to sign maybe 20 years ago.

Here's a newspaper article advertising a gig we did with Neil, Stills and Buffalo Springfield:

buffalo-peter-wheat_zps6f9598e6.jpg

Guess I have to accept Danvill -

Though I was around as a burning fan in 1978, I never saw one shot like this then. The cut is just too slick for Young and maybe he stayed indoor until it went a scarecrow again. This must have been between Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps - 2 splendid and very different records. I think most souls could find a favorite tune among the those 19 tracks.

As always the romancing me roll a little around the floor when seeing Peter W. and The Breadmen mingling with the legends back in the golden (boots) days. Some scrapbook to carry.

I only met Young on the pavement after a concert - luckily it was 2 years before that Cliff Richard hair. . .

Guess I have to accept Danvill -

Though I was around as a burning fan in 1978, I never saw one shot like this then. The cut is just too slick for Young and maybe he stayed indoor until it went a scarecrow again. This must have been between Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps - 2 splendid and very different records. I think most souls could find a favorite tune among the those 19 tracks.

As always the romancing me roll a little around the floor when seeing Peter W. and The Breadmen mingling with the legends back in the golden (boots) days. Some scrapbook to carry.

I only met Young on the pavement after a concert - luckily it was 2 years before that Cliff Richard hair. . .

My recollection is that he didn't look quite like he does in the newspaper article.... hair a little shorter, but with HUGE-THICK sideburns.

Now his hair looks like the Phantom of the Opera!

I love musician biographies and seems like he's had his fair share of challenges and triumphs. Not a big fan of NY also, but we recently added Old Man to the reportoire and that sort of sparked some more interest.

It takes a Canadian to know one [laugh]

Now his hair looks like the Phantom of the Opera!

Those power-sideburns were a trademark for Buffalo S., weren't they, , , Sebastian and Lennon had their go too. . .

Take a look at ol freds 1978 pic. It's more like it - that's how things were after the gel left, , , and the gel left quickly.

Those power-sideburns were a trademark for Buffalo S., weren't they, , , Sebastian and Lennon had their go too. . .

Take a look at ol freds 1978 pic. It's more like it - that's how things were after the gel left, , , and the gel left quickly.

If I grew out my hair, it'd look a lot like Niel's.....(which is EXACTLY why I don't grow it out!)

[/font]

I for my part of course would encourage that -[/size]

Hair is funny stuff. Here's mine in 1970: blue workshirt, torn Levi's, headband, hair and beard.

I'm doing something here that some of you will remember: cleaning the ignition points on my 1968 Bug. Can you say "hippie"?

Remnants of the beard still remain, but the boy is a lot older now......

Nick%201970_zpsabac124d.jpg

Hair is funny stuff. Here's mine in 1970: blue workshirt, torn Levi's, headband, hair and beard.

I'm doing something here that some of you will remember: cleaning the ignition points on my 1968 Bug. Can you say "hippie"?

Remnants of the beard still remain, but the boy is a lot older now......

Though I'm not sure what he does, I see a man in close contact with his tools.

Authentic pictures from the era are considered scoops here - If allowed, this one goes in the archive.

Must be around the Steppenwolf incident - did you ever read the book. . . .

Though I'm not sure what he does, I see a man in close contact with his tools.

Authentic pictures from the era are considered scoops here - If allowed, this one goes in the archive.

Must be around the Steppenwolf incident - did you ever read the book. . . .

In fact, it is shortly after that particular incident, which I've mentioned to you but not on this forum. I can tell by the fact that the front of the work shirt is sewn up (vertical seam to the right of the buttonholes), to repair some of the damage inflicted on both my clothing and body by my unfortunate encounter with a group of Green Berets who took exception to my appearance prior to a Steppenwolf concert in Mississippi that year.

"What's them things around your neck, boy? Love beads?"

Needless to say, I was the loser in that particular encounter.

But I did enjoy the concert, when I finally got there more or less in one piece. Teeth and bones intact, but a bit the worse for wear..... Fortunately, flesh heals.

In fact, it is shortly after that particular incident, which I've mentioned to you but not on this forum. I can tell by the fact that the front of the work shirt is sewn up (vertical seam to the right of the buttonholes), to repair some of the damage inflicted on both my clothing and body by my unfortunate encounter with a group of Green Berets who took exception to my appearance prior to a Steppenwolf concert in Mississippi that year.

"What's them things around your neck, boy? Love beads?"

Needless to say, I was the loser in that particular encounter.

But I did enjoy the concert, when I finally got there more or less in one piece. Teeth and bones intact, but a bit the worse for wear..... Fortunately, flesh heals.

Nick, I had a similar run-in with some football players at a Frat Party in Alameda.

We were the band....during a break I was walking through the crowd, four of 'em stopped me....backed me into a corner, one of 'em said,

"I'm going to count to three then I'm going to punch you in the face as hard as I can." Then another one said, "And when he's done with you

I'll take over."

I seems they weren't too keen on long hair there!

Anyway, when the first guy got to "2", I reached in the pocket of my tie-dyed Levi jacket and produced a switch blade, (my father's), and "flicked"

it open about 2 inches from his nose..... he jumped back, and screamed like a little girl.... which caused the local constabulary to respond...... they thought I'd look good

and be more comfortable downtown! So I spent the rest of the evening watching men in blue drink coffee.

We were the band....during a break I was walking through the crowd, four of 'em stopped me....ther one said, "And when he's done with youI'll take over."

Whow Danvill, I've been threatened by heavy fishermen-types while goin' from backstage to the third set of a gig, but your story is sheer horror.

You were on the edge and in the last second and pulled your emergency move there. Scary stuff probably taken with you forever.

I had dyed black hair and plus stripes of eyeliner when I passed the tough group to get on stage. Trying to squeeze my slim rock-body behind a chair, the heavy weighter turned around as his friend said : Knock him down, , , , another person that night wrongly called me jew. A savage place it was. . .

Again, , , your story is seriously out there. . . Did you remember to thank your angel

Whow Danvill, I've been threatened by heavy fishermen-types while goin' from backstage to the third set of a gig, but your story is sheer horror.

You were on the edge and in the last second and pulled your emergency move there. Scary stuff probably taken with you forever.

I had dyed black hair and plus stripes of eyeliner when I passed the tough group to get on stage. Trying to squeeze my slim rock-body behind a chair, the heavy weighter turned around as his friend said : Knock him down, , , , another person that night wrongly called me jew. A savage place it was. . .

Again, , , your story is seriously out there. . . Did you remember to thank your angel

My "angel" was the cop who came and grabbed me, threw me in the back of his car and took me away!

Then never laid a hand on me....but don't know what I would have done without the blade.... probably taken a trip to the hospital!

My wife is from Canada. She'll always point out a fellow Canadian, and rather quickly !

Archived