Gibson Brands Forums

Amber Picks

fortyearspickn

Has anyone had any experience with flat picks made out of amber? It's supposed to be equal in quality to tortoise. They seem to vary in thickness from 1.5 to 4 mm, I suppose sinsemilla they are a natural material. But cost around $25 ea. although they are supposed to last forever. (of course that is if you don't lose them.)

Has anyone had any experience with flat picks made out of amber? It's supposed to be equal in quality to tortoise. They seem to vary in thickness from 1.5 to 4 mm, I suppose sinsemilla they are a natural material. But cost around $25 ea. although they are supposed to last forever. (of course that is if you don't lose them.)

Sensimilla? Smokeable picks?

It's all about how desperate you are at any point in time.

A 4mm pick would be quite a chunk! I suppose you could crumble it up and put it in a pipe. ("Put that in your pipe and smoke it" takes on a new meaning.)

Seriously, you can make a pick out of anything. It's a matter of whether you like the resulting tone. Bob Colosi, for example, makes picks out of bufflo horn, ivory, or bone. He says the buffalo horn is the closest to real tortoise, with a more subdued attack than harder materials.

Great minds exist on the same exalted level ...... or is it, small minds run in the same gutter. Whatever. I swear that an old ex-hippy resently told me that, in the old days, he would heat the cig lighter in his car to a high degree, drop in a fender light pick, and sniff away. Best use for fender lights I guess if there is no glue around. This trick is performed by hard core professional dopers, do not try this at home kiddies.

Guess my Samsung droid's word substitution assistance program was written by someone having flashbacks to their Zig Zag years. That aside, the 4 mill picks are apparently for bass players. Or people who want a bigger insect inclusion I suppose. The amber is harder than plastic, but not as brittle as other materials. I'm just amazed at the great variability in sound based on the pick you use. Tnx.

Archived