Gibson Brands Forums

singing help

blindboygrunt

That's a good story Lars well worth sharing.I believe BBG the original poster has put a video of Wayfaring Stranger up a while back if my memory serves.

And you always have the drums with Metallica to fall back on [rolleyes] ...just kiddin' mate...keep on guitarin' and singin'!

That's a good story Lars well worth sharing.I believe BBG the original poster has put a video of Wayfaring Stranger up a while back if my memory serves.

And you always have the drums with Metallica to fall back on [rolleyes] ...just kiddin' mate...keep on guitarin' and singin'!

i did indeed

http://youtu.be/w5lZRnZXPIM

i shoulda sung it against the wall ...... how u reckon that would look at a gig ?? some psyho face to the wall , would scare me

if its really you mr ulrich ... could you lend me a couple of quid ?

Good for you, Lars. Great story.........You know, they say that Cash had a way of making someone else's song "his own," because of the way he covered it. It's not brain surgery, although we often approach it that way. He simply sung the song the "Johnny way." I have to sing it the "Larry way," you have to sing it the "Lars way." He also said "Everybody wants to be somebody, but you've got to be who you've got to be." We each have to be who we are. I can't be Elvis or Cash or Jagger. The best thing for me is to just be "me."[thumbup]

Learning to SING and PERFORM can be a challenge. However it CAN be accomplished by understanding what it takes to sing and perform, either for an audience of 3 people or for an audience of 3000 people. The link here in will both help and encourage you to do what is needed to be done for singing and performing at every level. Every great star understands these principles. While it is not a link about lessons per say, it will, however, teach anyone, professional or otherwise what it takes from the INSIDE, to succeed at communicating to your audience, what you need to give them, and what they need to hear form you vocally, and guitar wise. Read all of the ten other links you will find in here, and you will find yourself quickly excel at any endeavor you try in the future. It is by far one of the most helpful series of articles I have ever encountered in 30 years to reveal to the performer --professional, or not so professional, ---the do's and don'ts of performing. Without these, the most beautiful voice in the world will get you no where. Follow these truths, and the audience will be at your feet with a little vocal practice on your own, and you will be ready to deliver to your audience..or to yourself.. the performance they deserve by maintaining a humble attitude! It is a solo performer link designed exclusively to aid anyone, and everyone, who truly wishes to give their audience the very best they have to give. Here is is. Read and consume every sentence until you comprehend it fully. It is easy to read and understand. And it is free. Here is that wonderful link..best wishes. http://www.soloperformer.com/index.php?ArticleCategory=performanceskills

Learning to SING and PERFORM can be a challenge. However it CAN be accomplished by understanding what it takes to sing and perform, Here is that wonderful link..best wishes. http://www.soloperformer.com
My first reaction to this post was T red lights-come on. Turns out, Id been to the site previously and there is good material there. Take with a grain but dont dismiss it.

Re: singing against the wall.

This is why singer's have monitors; either onstage monitors or in-ear monitors. In order to sing in pitch, you need to be able to hear yourself. Some people have innate pitch and can sing in pitch whether they can hear themselves or not. John Lennon and Paul McCartney come to mind... George not so much. When they were playing live and couldn't hear themselves AT ALL, Paul and John still had good pitch. Harrison wavered in his pitch, but most people do when deprived of their ears.

I am in the same boat here also, started really playing guitar at about 47 years of age. After a couple years I ended up with shoulder issues (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome) and could barely play guitar for a couple years. I decided while I was rehabilitating I still needed to do something musical so I took voice lessons for about 6 months. Well I have been back to playing guitar almost as much as I want to for about a year now. My singing is still very inconsistent, but sometimes I really surprise myself.

I think we all agree it can take years if not a decade or so to really become a good guitar player....why do we (ME) think that singing should just be a natural ability? Well...maybe for a few people it is, but for most of us (ME) it takes just as long to master singing as it does to master guitar.

My take or thoughts on learning to sing are similar to those stated.

Vocal teachers seem to want to teach THEIR curriculum and it can be very hard to find someone who understands what an older adult wants out of singing. I don't want to sing like The Phantom of the Opera....I just want to sing my favorite songs while I play guitar. On the other hand you do need to develop your voice and they can be very helpful for that. Many of peoples pitch issues come from lack of support with the diaphragm and tension in the jaw and neck and throat.

Even though I learned many of the physical aspects of singing I still have a bad ear and have trouble hearing my pitch. I am currently going to start playing with a Solfege program to help trying to train my ear. Solfege is the do - re - me - fa- so - la - ti - do system. The software will play tones then quiz you ....things like higher pitch or lower pitch ...Major / Minor.... which tone is the third or the fifth of a reference tone. etc... Here is the link - GNU Solfege This program doesn't have a great interface, but it is free.

Confidence is everything in singing...as soon as you think a note will sound bad it does. Have tons of confidence and you have a much better chance of sounding good. Timidity singing doesn't work...as was said already ...allow yourself to sound bad...allow yourself to sound different....allow yourself to make a complete dork of yourself and eventually you will sound great.

I have done the same as the OP...thinking I don't have a private place to practice.....this is incorrect thinking. I now practice in the car...I practice at work when I have simple busy work..I don't care if people hear me .......Humming is great for learning to sing ...I now hum to myself all the time. Many vocal teachers use humming as a training device and you can do that anywhere...while shopping...taking a walk....and if people hear you ...great!

Using a PA or amp and headphones is great ...but even better is grab your guitar and sit in the bathroom (there is a chair in there..LOL!) and sing into the bath tub or shower, the more tile the better. Great Acoustics! better than an amp or PA because there is no delay it is totally natural.

I plan to continue to work on my singing ....good luck to everyone else in their quest to sing. You are not alone!

One other thing. You may not fully hear a melody while strummin' chords. Try picking the tone out, single notes. Or learn a fingerstyle arrangement that touches on the melodic line. That will help you learn the song better AND train your ear.

I agree: sing out with confidence and commitment for best results, whether practising or performing. Listen to Robert Plant rage on Whole Lotta Love with great passion. Joe Cocker's A Little Help From My Friends at Woodstock is on my best-live-performance-ever-captured-on-tape list......total commitment to the song. Neither of these two would qualify as honey-voiced singers in anyones' book, but they absolutely own the song with their own vocal style. Though not a huge fan, John Denver has a very smooth, powerful voice.....very well controlled and emotive. There are so many great voices out there and what they all have in common are those two C's: confidence and commitment. Good thread!

I agree: sing out with confidence and commitment for best results, whether practising or performing.

For me there is something life changing happening to me as a result of learning to sing...To add to Buc's idea here; My feeling and sense on learning to sing means I need to be "FEARLESS". I don't think I have ever in my life pushed myself to be fearless before, but it is the word I am starting to say in my head when I ask myself ..."how do I improve my singing?" It sorta changes how I think in other areas of life too.

Archived