Gibson Brands Forums

What exactly did I buy?

ksdaddy

These monsters were offered to me yesterday for $50 cash. You can see how freakin' big they are. Each have 2-15s and a horn. I googled but can't find anything about the company. I assume from that finding that they're out of business. Anyone heard of them?

I hooked one up to my home stereo and opted to keep the Sansui 15s I already have. I also hooked one up to my Peavey VTX Classic and same thing. The horn worked fine but the 15s were like... they need to be driven I guess is the way to put it. It's like at low volume they just aren't there. They WORK of course but I get the impression that they aren't going to come alive until they have some serious wattage pumped into them. I opened the back and there are these massive crossovers that I know nothing about. When I opened the back I did note the 15s were stamped "Welton" and were 4 ohm wired in series. That's just the 15s coming off one side of the crossover; the horn is wired separately and I don't know what the actual impedance is "at the jack".

I'm pretty stupid about stuff like this. I figure I'll throw them on craigslist but it would be better if I knew a little about them!

24g24op.jpg

b5f877.jpg

2dt7jtg.jpg

I'm getting very envious reading about these mega-bargains, $50 - what a snip...look at that nice natural-finish SG....the big Fender cab on the left....and is that a Heritage behind there?

I think those speakers probably need a good 200-300w at least per side.

Regards!

Theater tops. Like Voice Of The Theater, some Cerwin Vegas, even Peavey made theater tops. You usually see stuff like that suspended, up away from the mosh pit. It takes a lot to push them, that's why they are usually away from people, theres a lot coming out of them. Yer home stereo and your guitar amp will underdrive them, and most people don't realize underdriving is as bad as or worse than overdriving speakers*. For 50 bucks you said? I'd see if a school or church could use them up high, something like that.

rct

* I am not a speaker engineer, I don't play one on teevee. I hope someone comes along and provides more meat.

I have a tendency to fall in a pile of poo and come up with a silver dollar in my teeth.

The Fender is a '74 Dual Showman, freshly overhauled by someone... can't recall who... he builds boutique amps anyway, and took this in on trade. It sits on a nicely beat up '69 Bassman 2-15 bottom.

The Heritage is a 1986 Golden Eagle, #39.

The Tele is a '77, got new in 1978 as a graduation present. It was white but yellowed severely. That's the one Dan Erlewine refretted for me in '93 and encouraged me to "do my own damn fret jobs".

I think RCT has given as much help as I could.

I am not so much of a PA expert, nor do I mess with crossovers and such. But what I can tell you is that when it comes to sound, it takes far, far more power for bass frequencies than high frequencies. So if these things are designed for LARGE spaces with hundreds or watts, they are NOT going to be able to sound good at low watts like a stereo system.

I wouldn't even be sure they are full-range enclosures.

I don't recognize or know anything about these.

How much power in watts did you use to test these speaker's? More than 25 watt's? If so try connecting the amp directly to one of the speaker's by-passing the X-over and see if it's better. Ya don't have to cut the wires just use alligator clip's on the speaker terminals, you would be surprised how far a good 25 watts will really go.

Can't really call this buyer's remorse because I got them basically for nothing, but now the question is what do I do with them? If I had a couple old ratty empty Bassman cabs I'd put the 15s in them. I suppose I could 'not' use the horns and crossovers and just pipe into the 15s as extension speakers.

Ugh. I always drag stuff home for no good reason....

Can't really call this buyer's remorse because I got them basically for nothing, but now the question is what do I do with them? If I had a couple old ratty empty Bassman cabs I'd put the 15s in them. I suppose I could 'not' use the horns and crossovers and just pipe into the 15s as extension speakers.

Ugh. I always drag stuff home for no good reason....

OR...stumble yourself across some PA amp of sorts (wouldn't surprise me), and use these for some giant parties at you RANCH.

Archived