Gibson Brands Forums

Is a Gibson SG Standard worth it?

CaspervanOsch

Hey Everyone!

I own a Epiphone G-400 1966 for a while now and I'm thinking of buying an Gibson SG Standard. Yesterday I played a Gibson SG for the first time and it felt and sounded really great!

I was wondering if someone would like to share there experience of the Gibson SG Standard in comparison with the Epiphone G-400 so I know that I will buy the one that is right for me

Thanks!

Casper

My brother in law has a G400,

I have an SG Standard

Gibson SG Standard is superior to the Epiphone G400.

I'm not just sayin "it's better cuz it's USA made", it just is.

(better Pickups/hardware/fret job/fit and finish and so on.)

I have 5 Gibsons, and I have two Epi's (Emperor Regent, and an Elitist Chet Atkins) they are both excellent guitars, I've had Sheraton's a Joe Pass... you get my point, I like Epiphones, fine guitars.

but MHO, If you can swing it, do it, you will definitely find it superior to the import.

My brother in law has a G400,

I have an SG Standard

Gibson SG Standard is superior to the Epiphone G400.

I'm not just sayin "it's better cuz it's USA made", it just is.

(better Pickups/hardware/fret job/fit and finish and so on.)

I have 5 Gibsons, and I have two Epi's (Emperor Regent, and an Elitist Chet Atkins) they are both excellent guitars, I've had Sheraton's a Joe Pass... you get my point, I like Epiphones, fine guitars.

but MHO, If you can swing it, do it, you will definitely find it superior to the import.

Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful.

what finish do you like the most on a SG Standard?

I've got a G400 and an SG standard (USA) both purchased new less than a year ago. Both are great guitars in their own right. If i had to choose between the two, I'd take the SG without question. This is not surprising since my SG was more than 3 times what I paid for the G400. The SG is a quality instrument. it has a great sound and playability, and is nice and light. Having said that, the G400 is a fantastic guitar for the money. It's got great pickups and has a great tone.

I've got a G400 and an SG standard (USA) both purchased new less than a year ago. Both are great guitars in their own right. If i had to choose between the two, I'd take the SG without question. This is not surprising since my SG was more than 3 times what I paid for the G400. The SG is a quality instrument. it has a great sound and playability, and is nice and light. Having said that, the G400 is a fantastic guitar for the money. It's got great pickups and has a great tone.

Do you see difference between the G-400 and the SG Standard when you put them next to each other? (In Finnish and the shape of the body)

An SG Standard is leaps and bounds a better guitar than the G400 Epiphone. Wood quality is better, electronics are far better. And when you hold the Gibson, you can not only SEE, but FEEL and HEAR the difference in quality. Even if you don't want to spend the amount for the Standard, for about half that price, you can get a Gibson SG Special Faded. The finish isn't as nice (unless you like satin finishes), but these are excellent guitars as well. I have owned Epiphones, and now own 4 Gibsons. The Epiphones are not even in the same universe as their Gibson counterparts. Anyone who says otherwise is either a) Lying or just plain foolish, or B) has spent so much on aftermarket electronics to install in their Epi's that they would have been just as well off buying the Gibson ;) Now, before I get SLAMMED for what I just said, let me continue.....Epiphone makes great entry level and intermediate level instruments. All I'm saying is once you have "The Real Thing", you will understand........

Now, before I get SLAMMED for what I just said, let me continue.....Epiphone makes great entry level and intermediate level instruments. All I'm saying is once you have "The Real Thing", you will understand........

Your entire reply was bang on Steve.

The Epiphones are not even in the same universe as their Gibson counterparts. Anyone who says otherwise is either a) Lying or just plain foolish, or B) has spent so much on aftermarket electronics to install in their Epi's that they would have been just as well off buying the Gibson ;) Now, before I get SLAMMED for what I just said, let me continue.....Epiphone makes great entry level and intermediate level instruments. All I'm saying is once you have "The Real Thing", you will understand........

This is all subjective.

Your first comment is offensive. I prefer the feel and for the most part Sound of my Epiphone LP to many of the Gibby's I've tried. I haven't changed a single part on it (aside from removing the bridge pickup cover). I'm not lying, and I think many here will agree I'm not foolish. I prefer the Epiphone to the Gibson equivalent. And Many, MANY pro-level musicians use Epiphones Regularly, Live. Even the new ones.

-Ryan

Archived