Gibson Brands Forums

I've Spent The Last Month Discovering New Music. These Are My Results.

Tman5293

So like the title says, I've devoted the last month to discovering some new music and I'd like to share some of my findings with you guys.

A little back story on this:

I got tired of hearing the same old classic rock songs over and over again. Lets face it, classic rock is dead and it's not going any where. That being said, I signed up for a premium account with Spotify, an internet radio program that lets me download all the music I want for $10 a month, and plunged into a world of music that I've never heard before.

I'll just start posting music here in the form of Youtube videos. I invite anyone who would like to contribute to do so. Obviously, not everything here is going to appeal to everyone. I just hope some people will take the time to browse through some of the songs here and see if there's anything they like.

Lets get this started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYwUrEreThM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

The problem with "Classic" rock is that a lot of people narrow it down to the most well known bands, those that are played on the radio.

Not all hard rock has become "classic",

Example: most bands of the NWOBHM are not in the classic rock category, great bands, great music, some with poor production but that sounds cool these days when everything is so damn pro-tooled, yet little known by most.

And I agree with Dem00n, if you ask me you are in the wrong station assuming you are looking for guitar bands.

The problem with "Classic" rock is that a lot of people narrow it down to the most well known bands, those that are played on the radio.

Not all hard rock has become "classic",

Example: most bands of the NWOBHM are not in the classic rock category, great bands, great music, some with poor production but that sounds cool these days when everything is so damn pro-tooled, yet little known by most.

And I agree with Dem00n, if you ask me you are in the wrong station assuming you are looking for guitar bands.

You have a different view of classic rock than I do. I consider classic rock to be all those famous well known bands. What was trying to say is that those guys aren't making music anymore. That generation is done.

With Spotify, I'm having no trouble finding "guitar bands" in the Indie, Alternative, and Rock stations. I'm simply trying to branch out a little bit and discover some new material. I want to hear what the newest bands in those genres are doing.

You have a different view of classic rock than I do. I consider classic rock to be all those famous well known bands. What was trying to say is that those guys aren't making music anymore. That generation is done.

With Spotify, I'm having no trouble finding "guitar bands" in the Indie, Alternative, and Rock stations. I'm simply trying to branch out a little bit and discover some new material. I want to hear what the newest bands in those genres are doing.

Actually in the same paragraph you said what I said.

I hear you on the new music, I listen to a lot of new stuff, whether it is on the radio, the Nashville Libabry or going to the local Rock the Block. I have a friend in Texas that has about 7,000 records of harder, thrash, power, or just about anything metal and I get a lot of stuff from him. There is also Guitar World Magazine.

For me, the thing is that I like harder rock and a lot of the trends out there right now, don't do it for me, good music but does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I saw the Kaiser Chiefs live, good few songs, decent band, I would not call it a guitar band.

Actually in the same paragraph you said what I said.

I hear you on the new music, I listen to a lot of new stuff, whether it is on the radio, the Nashville Libabry or going to the local Rock the Block. I have a friend in Texas that has about 7,000 records of harder, thrash, power, or just about anything metal and I get a lot of stuff from him. There is also Guitar World Magazine.

For me, the thing is that I like harder rock and a lot of the trends out there right now, don't do it for me, good music but does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I saw the Kaiser Chiefs live, good few songs, decent band, I would not call it a guitar band.

This may make me a little closed-minded, but I lean toward "guitar bands". U.F.O., Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. And anything newer that qualifies as a "guitar band". Unfortunately, that's not the most popular thing now. Nowadays, it seems to be more singer-songwriter oriented bands, punk-influenced rock with no solos, emo screamo noise (no offense to people that like it), and super hi-octane metal that's beyond comprehension. And on the other side of the coin, you get guitar players that make a name off of themselves. I like bands where every member is rockin' hard. I dig the softer singer-songwriter stuff too, but it bores me.

I gotta say, when's the last time you saw a newer band where the guitar player, bassist, and drummer each did a solo by themselves?

I am getting both the vinyl and CD if it does not come with download.

I preordered the T-Shirt, and Vinyl as well as the CD...i'm so stoked for it. Have you heard the two singles? Goliath and Leaving You (though I think the latter is a b-side but great nonetheless!)

Archived