Gibson Brands Forums

I guess not only Gibsons can be trashed in the snow

JuanCarlosVejar

Well, I ain't takin' any of MY Gibsons out into the snow. (Not that we see snow here in Florida, thank God.)

This would be a job for my Composite Acoustics carbon fiber guitar. Not a spec of wood or any other organic material on it. Nothing natural added.....

I played a wedding by a mountain lake (Kannanaskis Alberta) and there was snow on the ground and it was rather chilly. I made sure that the cold guitar went into its case and warmed slowly after the performance. The key to keeping the guitar from crazing or worse, cracking, is to ensure it doesn't change temperatures quickly. Taking a cold guitar out of the case in a warm, heated house is asking for trouble. Leave it in the case overnight to make sure before you take it out again.

I would feel better about it if it wasn't snowing - kinda risky with flakes flying about. Any of those flakes make into the soundhole, he could be looking at a pimple out break on the back or the side. Sometimes it droplets of moisture getting on the unfinished inside can cause the finish to bubble - especially if exposed to a heat source when still moist. You guys might remember Bucs unfortunate debacle, or the occasional post about a drop or two from a Dampit like humidifier accompanied by a pimple/bump in the finish pic.

I would feel better about it if it wasn't snowing - kinda risky with flakes flying about. Any of those flakes make into the soundhole, he could be looking at a pimple out break on the back or the side. Sometimes it droplets of moisture getting on the unfinished inside can cause the finish to bubble - especially if exposed to a heat source when still moist. You guys might remember Bucs unfortunate debacle.

Probably only increase the value of this one though, his ownership probably brings a premium for Avett fans already regardless of condition.

Archived