Gibson Brands Forums

Question on effects loop

CoreyT

My Carvin V3M head has an effects loop, but I do not know much about using them.

Googled it, and found this page.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2215449_use-effects-loop-guitar-amps.html

So if I want to experiment just using the TC Electronic Dreamscape pedal (chorus, flanger, tremolo) I take it will do the effect full time until you hit the stomp box button to turn it off?

Is there an advantage to doing this over just leaving it on my pedal board?

The purpose of FX loops is to put certain time-based effects and such after the preamp stage. Some pedals sound better through an FX loop, some don't. You just have to experiment and find what sounds best to you. Any "advantage" is subjective.

-Ryan

Let your ear tell you what to put where :D

I pretty much just run my chorus and delay through the FX loop.

The reply from Ryan and this last post is the answer.

Compressors for example, you'll run those in line, not going to really be all that effective in the FX loop.

Delays, for example, will sound a little harsh and have some nasty overtones once you go from clean to crunch inline, so those will almost always be best in the FX loop.

Some other details in the over all tone will depends on what type of FX loop you have, Series, or Parallel. Some have both types, and are good for various things. Experiment, compare, and play as many what if games as you can.

Start inline, try different tones, settings etc.

then, move it to the loop, and try those same sounds, and settings.

Play around with the mix control (dry to effect) you may see that the loop reacts way different then when inline

Some other details in the over all tone will depends on what type of FX loop you have, Series, or Parallel. Some have both types, and are good for various things. Experiment, compare, and play as many what if games as you can.

Can't forget about buffered and non-buffered loops too.

-Ryan

Archived