Gibson Brands Forums

new mics today

dbreslauer

I purchased a couple of mics after some research. I wanted both large and small diaphragm cardioids, for versatility. Here's what i got.

MXL 2003A:

MXL2003A.jpg

AKG Perception 170:

AKGp170.jpg

Anyone have suggestions on placements that they've tried/liked when recording nylon string? I'm currently plugging both of these straight into a TASCAM DP-03.

thanks!

Don

Position the big mic near the sound port and the other up closer to the bridge for a nice clean bright sound. If your acoustic has a line out as well run that into the mixer and play with the panning of it. Blend the three and play with the phasing too. That should give you some very nice textures...

Nice score on the mics.

One thing I would tell you, is make sure you don't point the mic directly at the sound hole.

Try pointing the small diaphragm at the 12th fret, and the large at the bridge, and record them simultaneously.

Another place to try is at the nut.

Try moving the mics around too and hearing the differences. It can make a lot of difference.

Nice score on the mics.

One thing I would tell you, is make sure you don't point the mic directly at the sound hole.

Try pointing the small diaphragm at the 12th fret, and the large at the bridge, and record them simultaneously.

Another place to try is at the nut.

Try moving the mics around too and hearing the differences. It can make a lot of difference.

wow, it is amazing how moving a mic just a little makes a huge difference in the sound! i'm going to keep experimenting tonight, should be some good practice time.

This is the general guideline for mic'ing an acoustic guitar. Pointing at the 12th will give you the jangle of the strings and just enough bottom end. Pointing directly at the sound hole is a classic, rookie mistake.

Placement will depend greatly on the room your in. I hate to say it but MXL is one of the worst quality mic's you can buy. I'd rather have a beat-up SM57 than a brand new cheap-o mic. Tascam does make good gear so you went with the right choice there. And there is so much of a difference in end product with a cheep-o mic and a use-able mic that substituting wont help you learn much about recording.

i made a very quick 30 second recording tonight, using both mics: the MXL and AKG are hard right and left, respectively. what you hear is what i played, with no comp or EQ tweaks, and just a smidge of reverb.

i have the MXL just off the bridge, and the AKG aimed at 12th fret in this recording, both ~8" away from the guitar.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6702426/Estudio5.mp3

i made a very quick 30 second recording tonight, using both mics: the MXL and AKG are hard right and left, respectively. what you hear is what i played, with no comp or EQ tweaks, and just a smidge of reverb.

i have the MXL just off the bridge, and the AKG aimed at 12th fret in this recording, both ~8" away from the guitar.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6702426/Estudio5.mp3

( IMHO ), That sounds good; both playing wise and recording wise....The mic placement sounds good, and the placement recommendation is correct...

• 1 month later...

Archived