Gibson Brands Forums

60's tribute or 60's studio tribute?

CrazyCanuck

Hi, I noticed that some 60's tribute have the same colored backs as the front while some have black backs. Other than esthetic diffrences are they the same guitar? Is one model better than the other? The electronics and the body seem the same. So why would gibson make 2 different models of the same guitar? Thank you, and have a nice day

Hi,

I'm no expert, but I think the original 50's and 60's Studio Tribute (light back) were limited runs; however they proved so popular Gibson made a minor change and carried on producing them.

Regards,

Ian.

[thumbup] pretty much.. something along those lines... Now theres a whole load of new Tributes cos they were so well received and its cos they are such great value for money...

I got one of the first run 60s tributes.. man I love that guitar its in the "I never want to sell it" catagory. :)

[thumbup] pretty much.. something along those lines... Now theres a whole load of new Tributes cos they were so well received and its cos they are such great value for money...

I got one of the first run 60s tributes.. man I love that guitar its in the "I never want to sell it" catagory. :)

I have a 60's tribute in Honeyburst (not the dark back) and I never want to sell it. The certificate that came with it was dated at the Nashville factory in September 2011 just days after the raid. I really like the P90's sound when coupled with my Gibson GA-5 reissue tube amp. No digital sound for me!

Yep, same here. 60's Tribute, Honetburst, before the raid.Rosewood board, no darkback, first run.

P90's. it'sa great sounding , playing and looking guitar. I'll never part with it either. I have a 72 Strat, 57 Danone U1 and a 62 Supro Martinique and the Tribute has become my go to guitar.

Yesterday morning, I bought a used 60s Tribute in honeyburst. It's got a back almost the same color as the top stain. One thing I noticed is, it has a binding around the body that looks like maple. Is it really wood or is it some plastic that just looks that way? It sure looks like it has wood grain.

The first time I picked it up, I was pleasantly surprised how light it is. When I pick up my Epi Traditional Pro, I flex my muscles in anticipation of the ton and a half effort I'm about to make. The 60s Tribute though, probably weighs in around 7 lbs I guess. I'll weigh it when I get it.

I get to pick it up off police hold on December 13th.

... One thing I noticed is, it has a binding around the body that looks like maple. Is it really wood or is it some plastic that just looks that way? It sure looks like it has wood grain.

Hello! It's called the "faux binding" - which isn't a binding at all, just the sides of the maple cap left unstained. Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence. One way or the other, it's a really great effect and it it isn't cost prohibitive, maybe it's something Gibson should consider doing on the Studio models that I think would entice people to like them even more.

You are welcome! My personal opinion on this suggestion is that the "faux-binding" looks good only on natural finished guitars. It's something I wouldn't like to see on a - for example - white or black guitar. Cheers... Bence

I'd have to see it on a painted guitar to see how I felt about it, but I'm kind of a wood freak. I have some painted guitars, (a Strat and Tele), but I'd be more inclined to buy a wood grained guitar if it was a choice, all other things being equal. I love wood grain and wood accents. I used to have some Larrivee acoustics which all had genuine wood binding. I just thought it was a rich look. When I noticed it on the 60s Tribute yesterday, it just made me like it all that much more.

I'd have to see it on a painted guitar to see how I felt about it, but I'm kind of a wood freak. I have some painted guitars, (a Strat and Tele), but I'd be more inclined to buy a wood grained guitar if it was a choice, all other things being equal. I love wood grain and wood accents. I used to have some Larrivee acoustics which all had genuine wood binding. I just thought it was a rich look. When I noticed it on the 60s Tribute yesterday, it just made me like it all that much more.

Completely agree with You, I prefer naturals too. They are much more classy, than solid colors. Although there are some solid colors I can't resist either. :)

Completely agree with You, I prefer naturals too. They are much more classy, than solid colors. Although there are some solid colors I can't resist either. :)

Or get the best of both worlds.. I am also a freak for the wood grain BUT when I went to get a 60s tribute I was torn between all of the colours so decided it had to be down to which one felt and sounded best.. And I ended up with a Goldtop with the natural back and sides.. and man I dont regret it for a single second.. I love that guitar [thumbup]

Or get the best of both worlds.. I am also a freak for the wood grain BUT when I went to get a 60s tribute I was torn between all of the colours so decided it had to be down to which one felt and sounded best.. And I ended up with a Goldtop with the natural back and sides.. and man I dont regret it for a single second.. I love that guitar [thumbup]

Goldtop - for example - is a perfect compromise between the two worlds. That color is in perfect harmony with the natural mahogany body and neck/rosewood board. Looks stunning, and - of course - that finish has a historic value on an LP. Cheers... Bence

Hehe! I felt the urge too to do so! Just don't want to abuse the Forums of doing it all over again. I love that Desertburst! [thumbup] Cheers... Bence

Cheers man.. and post away :) never such a thing as too many pictures of beautiful Les Pauls..

And yeah that tobacco burst (I think is its name, theres so many its hard to know lol).. Thats my LP Classic 1960 reissue from 2002.. it a proper beast at 11 lb or so.. and man does that thing sing.. the older it gets the better it sounds.

And yeah that tobacco burst (I think is its name, theres so many its hard to know lol).. Thats my LP Classic 1960 reissue from 2002.. it a proper beast at 11 lb or so.. and man does that thing sing.. the older it gets the better it sounds.

[scared] 11 lbs! Oh my God! My CC is just 8.3 but seems like made of concrete! I can imagine how nice it sings! Surely they get better and better with time. If You also put in some PIOs too...mmmm... Cheers... Bence

I am very happy that I did buy the CC. (Had to work overtimes for couple months, tough). It's the "poor man's Custom" so to say. I've been dreaming about a Custom for so long - but never felt spending that amount of money on any guitar justified. When I saw this appear on the website of our local shop, I've said to myself: it's now or never. It's a joy - never will regret buying it. Cheers... Bence

Nice to see all of you sharing you heartfelt thoughts on this remarkable, loveable, LP Studio 60s' Tribute! This LP is serious fun, I just got done playin' mine and WOW, my back feels great! I received mine this past July and is my first Gibson LP Goldtop w/P90s. Thought about purchasing a 1956 Reissue for many ayears, but at those prices, no way is Gibson gonna bend me over that far! My guitar buds came around to meet her and I had alot of fun yankin' their chains. I told them it was a 1956 Tribute, however they are Fender Dudes through and through so they didn't latch on at first. "How many Gs did this set you back on" they asked, and I answered quite slowly by saying "eight thou, no eight hundred fifty out the door, w/gigbag". They were pretty impressed by her, oh, the usual gripes were heard, "damn Lefty guitar thang again! When are you ever gonna learn how to play a proper guitar properly?" Anyhow they all loved the light weight of it and sound wise, they got the idea!

As for the worn finish, they just don't get it. I always suggest they try one of those Highway One Strats or Teles, just to get a taste of pure resonance. Anyhow, she calls now and I must answer that call for more sonic glories are sure to be had.

Cheers for now and Stay Groovy!

I love my lefty 60's Tribute in Honeyburst, however I don't play electric that much anymore .... I always pick up my J160-E to play acoustic.

Used to play with a full band most weeks and due to a fall out with a band member, that doesn't happen anymore and can't see it happening in the future. An eletric is not something to play solo !!! I'm thinking of selling her !!

I do have cherry Dot that gets dusty too but I would keep her !!!

Archived