Gibson Brands Forums

My new LP Classic Custom poses quite a dilemma..

Fleece

My ebony LPCC arrived this morning, and it's just beautiful. Everything is flawless, the action is nice and low...even the intonation was (almost) perfect. The fretboard is so dark that it could be almost confused for ebony. And it arrived much better set up than my ebony Midtown Custom, which I had to take to my luthier right out of the gate.

And it plays great, too. Frets are a nice height and level, the high E is a more reasonable distance from the edge of the fretboard than my Midtown, and the '57 Classics are sweet.

So what's the problem, you might ask?

It is so strikingly similar to my Midtown Custom, that after hours of comparison, I'm at a loss as to which I prefer. Frankly, I find that the only really striking differences are the weight and ergonomics. And the Midtown wins on both those fronts.

I think I expected the LPCC to be noticeably superior to the MC, and that I would keep the former and sell the latter. But I'm now faced with a something of a dilemma.

I have noticed things that I prefer in the LPCC: the neck seems ever so slightly thicker more solidly connected to the body (even resting my hand on the MC's neck will cause it to go slightly out of tune). The LPCC clearly puts out more volume, and might have slightly better sustain and thicker bass. And its high E string doesn't sit quite so precariously close to the edge of the fretboard, as it does on my MC, which is a small but significant point. The LPCC seems a bit brighter and therefore a little more articulate on a clean channel, but the neck pickups on both strike me as muddy(?) as I travel up the neck.

The MC has the advantages that A.) I've already bonded with it, B.) it's 2 lbs lighter and I prefer its ergonomics, and C.) it sounds warmer to my ears.

They're both strikingly similar aesthetically, but the Les Paul certainly has that iconic look.

I suppose I could keep both, but they seem duplicative. I'll stop rambling here, but I think I just need a sanity check -- am I crazy for contemplating sending back the LP (which was a steal at $1,500 brand new)?

Addendum:

I have literally stayed up all night with a bottle of chilled Vodka, determined to get to the bottom of this. As of 4:45am I remain convinced that the two guitars are sufficiently similar that keeping both of them would be somewhat absurd.

I have also come to the conclusion that they are sufficiently different, such that I cannot possibly choose which one to keep and which to "throw back into the ocean," as it were. Furthermore, I have begun to bond with the LPCC, and have come to better appreciate its strengths, and have come to realize that I can not part with it.

I've always felt that my growing stable of guitars should be complementary, and represent a wide variety. I'm hereby making an exception, and am now the proud owner of fraternal twin Gibsons, both of which are spectacular.

9B8pP.jpg

Congratulations on the nice pair of customs, and hope you wake up without a headache.

The reasons you like the MC are the reasons I bought one when I went in to pick out a Les Paul (better ergonomics, mostly, and the price was better by about $500). I too thought the tone was so unbeleviabley similar between them it was mind boggling. However, I don't have any issues with my MC going out of tune. Good choice to keep them both!

Congratulations on the nice pair of customs, and hope you wake up without a headache.

The reasons you like the MC are the reasons I bought one when I went in to pick out a Les Paul (better ergonomics, mostly, and the price was better by about $500). I too thought the tone was so unbeleviabley similar between them it was mind boggling. However, I don't have any issues with my MC going out of tune. Good choice to keep them both!

First, thanks very much for your input, and when I do wake up, I promise I have means to quell whatever headache I might've acquired during this Pepsi-Challenge. ;)

I don't know if I was hoping for someone to say exactly what you just said, or if I was hoping for someone to appeal to some logical reason why I can't keep both. It's been a couple hours now since I posted my first quandary...and yes, they are extraordinarily similar. (Burstbuckers and '57 Classics are ******* nearly identical, no?)

But I'm starting to realize (perhaps rationalize) how the LP serves a slightly different purpose. It's a bit beefier, as advertised, and I'm not sure if that's a function of my expectation per all the marketing, but it does feel capable of heavier rock). Regardless, I've reconciled myself with the fact that I'm not parting with either of them. They're both extraordinary guitars and I feel like a God when I play them. Viva Gibson.

The Ibanez RGA42A, which I kept for my darker moments, will likely be put up on the auction block, but I can't say that I'll lose any sleep over having two similar looking Gibsons, and loving them equally, yet differently.

And since when does rationality have anything to do with being a guitarist?

My MT custom stays intune very well. And I am a big phat finger, string bender. Pretty tough on my strings and the MTC is holding up. I do like to put locking tuners on all my electrics. And the MTC will get some after xmas..

AND FLEEC, get that sticker off that sweet LPCC!!!!

Locking tuners might help that..

I appreciate the thought, but it's a common misperception that locking tuners will help a guitar stay in tune -- they won't.

And in any case, despite locking tuners, my Midtown Custom doesn't stay in tune, ostensibly a result of two things: a poorly cut nut, and a neck that joins at its body too high. My (highly accurate) tuner pedal routinely attests to its flimsiness. Otherwise, I absolutely adore the guitar.

I appreciate the thought, but it's a common misperception that locking tuners will help a guitar stay in tune -- they won't...

OK here we go.... I must disagree, with my style of playing they help alot... I did say they might help, that it was not ment as a complete fix. But they do HELP a guitar stay in tune.

Sorry u got a bad nut on your MT but thats an simple fix. As for neck position?? I am sure my MTC has the same thing. Its got to be your nut????

I gotta say the CC looks sweet, and that midtown looks awesome...

You could use the CC for Rock or alternate tuning and the midtown for blues and rock blues.

I would keep em if they played awesome.

That's a great point that I hadn't considered. I could maybe keep the LP tuned in open G and have it be my Keith Richards guitar. [biggrin] Not a bad thought at all.

You could also change out the pickups on one of the guitars if they sound similar.

That's a good thought as well. I'm tempted to put one or both '57s in the Midtown and put ceramics in the LP. At the price I got the LP (now $1359 after some additional haggling & price matching this morning), I would be crazy to not keep it and maybe experiment with it a bit.

I bet that the longer you keep both the more you will continue to see differences in the character of each guitar until one day you realize, I'm glad I kept both. The guitars unique personalities may seem subtle now because they are both very nice and both new, but Ill bet at some point their differences will stand out.

I bet that the longer you keep both the more you will continue to see differences in the character of each guitar until one day you realize, I'm glad I kept both. The guitars unique personalities may seem subtle now because they are both very nice and both new, but Ill bet at some point their differences will stand out.

+1, you will soon be able to notice the semihollow have an airiness open quality, loose tone. semihollows sound great overdriven and distorted.

imho solid bodies lend themselves to distortion a little different, a little tighter.

yeah, plus the price you got it at, is nice to say the least.

+1, you will soon be able to notice the semihollow have an airiness open quality, loose tone. semihollows sound great overdriven and distorted.

imho solid bodies lend themselves to distortion a little different, a little tighter.

yeah, plus the price you got it at, is nice to say the least.

Yeah, I think you're both absolutely right. After spending a lot more time with the LP, I'm already seeing larger differences between the two, and I'm really beginning to bond with it.

Plus, I called zzounds, and told them I was considering returning it and that musiciansfriend was selling them for $1599 - 15% off ($1359). They agreed to refund the difference. [lol] At that price, I'd be insane to part with such a nice guitar.

Yeah, I think you're both absolutely right. After spending a lot more time with the LP, I'm already seeing larger differences between the two, and I'm really beginning to bond with it.

Plus, I called zzounds, and told them I was considering returning it and that musiciansfriend was selling them for $1599 - 15% off ($1359). They agreed to refund the difference. [lol] At that price, I'd be insane to part with such a nice guitar.

[lol]

Hello Fleece! I've just read Your dilemma! Most people have a dilemma whether to buy another, or not...

By the way: both are beautyful, why would You part with the one or the other? Even if they sound the same to You, there are plenty of mods available to make them sound different: pickups, caps, wirings, switches, Bigsby...

Cheers... Bence

Agreed, I don't think we'll be seeing these prices again, and it looks like we won't be seeing these guitars again, at least for a while.

Hang on to both unless you really need the cash.

[lol]

Hello Fleece! I've just read Your dilemma! Most people have a dilemma whether to buy another, or not...

By the way: both are beautyful, why would You part with the one or the other? Even if they sound the same to You, there are plenty of mods available to make them sound different: pickups, caps, wirings, switches, Bigsby...

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence...good advice. The subtle differences are already becoming apparent, and I'll be damned if this LPCC isn't just a fantastic guitar. So rich and full sounding...I love it.

I recently got two very cool pedals (a russian Big Muff Pi, and a Timmy), and I must've spent 3 full hours today fiddling with knobs, playing and grinning.

I've got a Blackstar valve reverb pedal arriving tomorrow as well, so I'm pretty much in guitar heaven. No way could I part with the LP now. [biggrin]

Thanks Bence...good advice. The subtle differences are already becoming apparent, and I'll be damned if this LPCC isn't just a fantastic guitar.

I recently got two very cool pedals (a russian Big Muff Pi, and a Timmy), and I must've spent 3 full hours today fiddling with knobs, playing and grinning.

I've got a Blackstar valve reverb pedal arriving tomorrow as well, so I'm pretty much in guitar heaven. No way could I part with the LP now. [biggrin]

Hello Fleece! That's a great approach! Enjoy it! :) Cheers... Bence

Archived