Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Tech Screwdriver Set

CoreyT

Geeez I hate bumping my own thread :D

One of the reasons I went for this toolkit is I have tons of tools at home, and in my personal vehicle.

But not one screw driver the correct size for taking off the back plates on my guitars.

I did not want to strip out the screws, so I bought this kit since it was made specifically for guitars.

About a month back or so I pulled off the rear cover on my PRS SE Custom 24 to check the shielding, and the only screw driver I had that came close was a little one that was only about an inch long including the blade and handle, way to short, could not get any decent torque on it, and I was afraid I was going to slip with it and scratch the cover.

Got the screws out, bit it would have been better with a tool that was the correct size.

Over the years I've assembled a bunch of tools and screwdrivers etc which I thought worked with anything, until a couple of weeks ago when I had to replace a Fender Mustang bass machinehead. As you have described above about your PRS, I found something that would 'do' but I did break one of the replacement screws as I hadn't drilled the hole quite wide enough. I think the StewMac toolkit looks good, a lot better than one of those 'roadie' multi-tools which again (IMO) have heads/blades which don't always quite fit when you need 'em to.

Archived