Gibson Brands Forums

Price Check J100xtra

Joe M

There's a J100xt for sale on my local CL. Pics look great and description says near mint condition. Made in 1997, has original case. Natural top. Seller is asking $1250....fair price???

If it's in as good a condition as described, then, yes, that's a decent price.

Fred

If it's this one, you bet it's a nice price:

J-100xtra link

and to the rest of the forum, hands off, Joe gets first shot at this one :)!

btw, through the 1990's, these were always offered with nice little extra touches. This one has a tasteful

sound hole rosette. And by dating the serial # on the label, is a '99, not the 1997 as listed.

what are the back and sides made of? some are maple, others bubinga.

The best are made from mahogany. There was a year they made them out of Indian Rosewood and they stopped when the realized they were twice the guitar a Maple J-200 was at half the price.

The best are made from mahogany.

Not necessarily so.

I've owned a very nice '96 in mahogany, but a '00 in maple slightly beat it out for my fingerpicking purposes, so the mahogany was traded off & the maple remains.

The guitar in the ad is indeed a '99, which was the first year of a maple bodied J100xtra with these particular adornments. The fully visible abalone rosette is particularly nice, and was gone in a few years on the J100xtra. My similar '00 (dark back & sides) is light as a feather for a jumbo, and highly responsive. These can be very good guitars, and certainly worth a look.

A 1995 mahogany one went for about 650 pounds on ebay uk last weekend. I almost was tempted to bid for a high-class beater, but figured it would go much higher. It was quite battle-scarred, mind, a beater indeed - plenty o dents, and from what I could see quite a lot of fretwear. But 650 quid for any Gibson in the UK? And without a broken neck? Somebody scored a bargain, I think. Even after refret.

I have a 94 model J-100 Xtra(Mahogany B&S) which is a lovely guitar, and probably my favourite. It sounds a little different to my 2010 J-200 standard, but in a good way. If I had to describe it`s tone, I would say it reminds me of an early 60`s J-45/50, but bigger.

However they do vary from guitar to guitar, my friend has a 93 model (Same woods) and it is nowhere near as good as mine (It has the booming low "E", but lacks the balance across the strings, and has a shrill top end).

I haven`t played a Maple version, but did try a very nice 2007 Bubinga backed model a couple of years ago, that I really should have bought.

I too nearly took a punt on that Sunburst model(Ebay U.K.) last week, but three super jumbo`s would have been too much in my small house!

Steve

Archived