Gibson Brands Forums

Slash on an AJ

EuroAussie

I know Slash doesnt get much love here, but I'm a big fan of his and love his acoustic recordings which he's doing more and more.

To me he always was quite innovative, in particular combining rock riffs with bluegrass lead runs (listen to GnR lies),

Anyway as Im still on my AJ honeymoon Im discovering each week how to play this monster to get the best out of her, and Im learning that subtlety and precision is key to get the best from the AJ. Because it is such a powerful and responsive guitar I find that one has to apply himself and learn how to stroke that beast to get the magic out.

Watching Slash here he really, to me captures a great tone from the AJ, but look at how deliberately he is playing, he's not pushing the AJ, but more gliding and playing with subtle dynamics.

Plus I think its a great song that showcases a great guitar and guitarist.

So enjoy ... (best with headphones)

I've heard a lot of things about this guy lately. Of course I have no clue who he is. I saw a video of him sweating all over a les paul with the gain wide open and I wasn't impressed. Talented guy no doubt, just not my thing I suppose. The hair and big hat.....well I'd prob have a hand on my pistol grip if he was following me in a dark parking lot [scared]

If I'm seeing correctly I think that AJ has gold tuners. I'm not a big fan of gold hardware but those seem to look great with the AJ pick guard

I've heard a lot of things about this guy lately. Of course I have no clue who he is.

Johnny, are you being serious, where you been livin' all your life ?

He likes snakes and scorpions and has a whole farm of em, does that make your appreciate him a bit more ...? ;-)

Johnny, are you being serious, where you been livin' all your life ?

He likes snakes and scorpions and has a whole farm of em, does that make your appreciate him a bit more ...? ;-)

Yea I'm serious! I mean I know who he is when I see him, but other than that no. A snake and scorpion farm......makes me think he's crazy. Heck I ain't knockin the guy, he just don't inspire me. If I want to hear a hot guitar player Doc Watson would be more like it [thumbup]

Yea I'm serious! I mean I know who he is when I see him, but other than that no. A snake and scorpion farm......makes me think he's crazy. Heck I ain't knockin the guy, he just don't inspire me. If I want to hear a hot guitar player Doc Watson would be more like it [thumbup]

Cant argue against Doc Watson there Johnny, I was just surprised you weren't more aware of Slash, thats all.

Having never been a metaller, GnR ain't really my bag at all. I would say I find the posturing, the hair and the hat, the smoking gimmicks (ciggie at the headstock) were fine 20 years ago or whatever, but now, that age, that hair, the hat... I'm just embarrassed for him. No doubt a decent technical player, well revered, etc etc... I get all that, but to quote a dear friend... FFS... that hair is just ridiculous , has he no shame? The hat's very dated and it's just an overall no from me... I sort of want to shake them and say look man, yer not 20, there's little point trying to look 20 when you're 40 odd it makes ye look totally nonsense. You don't have to be 20 to cut a dash so sort it out... Stop trying to look like an ensemble of poor mens Stephen Tyler's. He's ridiculous enough without tribute acts...

On the plus side the AJ he's playing sounds proper decent and they had a good sound, I'm just not that into his style of music at all...

MAN! Slash is taking a lot of heat here. I don't see Keef changing his look with the times...one might say an old geezer wearing skinny jeans and scarfs is just as ridiculous? As for the hat, that's been Slash' signature for since he got in the game. I mean....I would agree that ALL old rockers should somewhat tone it down with the look and its super ridiculous when some 55 yr old super rich dude is prancing around in tights and blouses....that being said I would say Slash is in the Majority.

ahhh....if they could all be like Springsteen

Having never been a metaller, GnR ain't really my bag at all. I would say I find the posturing, the hair and the hat, the smoking gimmicks (ciggie at the headstock) were fine 20 years ago or whatever, but now, that age, that hair, the hat... I'm just embarrassed for him. No doubt a decent technical player, well revered, etc etc... I get all that, but to quote a dear friend... FFS... that hair is just ridiculous , has he no shame? The hat's very dated and it's just an overall no from me... I sort of want to shake them and say look man, yer not 20, there's little point trying to look 20 when you're 40 odd it makes ye look totally nonsense. You don't have to be 20 to cut a dash so sort it out... Stop trying to look like an ensemble of poor mens Stephen Tyler's. He's ridiculous enough without tribute acts...

On the plus side the AJ he's playing sounds proper decent and they had a good sound, I'm just not that into his style of music at all...

Id agree if he was starting to look like a fat Elvis, but he still looks the same as 25 years ago, and I mean that a heluva an effort to maintain with his lifestyle !

Granted, he has access to the best plastic surgeons and hair transplants, but good effort so far ..

I know Slash doesnt get much love here, but I'm a big fan of his and love his acoustic recordings which he's doing more and more.

To me he always was quite innovative, in particular combining rock riffs with bluegrass lead runs (listen to GnR lies),

Anyway as Im still on my AJ honeymoon Im discovering each week how to play this monster to get the best out of her, and Im learning that subtlety and precision is key to get the best from the AJ. Because it is such a powerful and responsive guitar I find that one has to apply himself and learn how to stroke that beast to get the magic out.

Watching Slash here he really, to me captures a great tone from the AJ, but look at how deliberately he is playing, he's not pushing the AJ, but more gliding and playing with subtle dynamics.

I think we've accidentally solved a great mystery. Many comments here about Slash, his hair, and his hat. Then I remembered another recent thread, and the mysterious self-portrait provided by Em7, which I've copied here. Note the hair, and the shades, the hat, the cigarette dangling from the mouth. Em7 is either Slash dressed up to go out on the town, or his alter ego.

Em7.jpg

I think we've accidentally solved a great mystery. Many comments here about Slash, his hair, and his hat. Then I remembered another recent thread, and the mysterious self-portrait provided by Em7, which I've copied here. Note the hair, and the shades, the hat, the cigarette dangling from the mouth. Em7 is either Slash dressed up to go out on the town, or his alter ego.

Em7.jpg

Nick, you sure thats not Phil Spector ... ?

Id agree if he was starting to look like a fat Elvis, but he still looks the same as 25 years ago, and I mean that a heluva an effort to maintain with his lifestyle !

Granted, he has access to the best plastic surgeons and hair transplants, but good effort so far ..

I should have been more positive before, at least this performance didn't have the legs apart leaning back and pulling a 'tone face' :D :D

It probably still works in LA, but on the other side of the world he looks like a tool. As for the hat I understand the whole 'signature look' part and I guess it's fine for stage if he really must, but he actually kicks about in general in the same clothes, the same look, does he just have one look? one set of clothes, a quick febreze in the morning to keep him from whiffing, or just smoke more ciggies to cover it? It turns someone into a bit of a comedy figure that kind of malarky.

As a smoker myself, there's nothing more annoying than trying to do something with a ciggie in yer gob, it gets in yer eyes, it starts to burn and so on... if ye really can't make it through a song without one it's probably time to hit the patches. It's all a bit Ronnie Wood for me, at least he has an excuse to look a bit daft being a pikey an whatnot...

As a smoker myself, there's nothing more annoying than trying to do something with a ciggie in yer gob, it gets in yer eyes, it starts to burn and so on... if ye really can't make it through a song without one it's probably time to hit the patches. It's all a bit Ronnie Wood for me, at least he has an excuse to look a bit daft being a pikey an whatnot...

He's actually quit smoking three years ago PM, got ya on that one ... ;-)

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/slash-quit-smoking-for-mother_1148042

He's actually quit smoking three years ago PM, got ya on that one ... ;-)

http://www.contactmu...-mother_1148042

Hahaha, fair do's EA... I guess all I've got left is the hat, the hair, the clothes, the stage posturing, the 'tone faces' and the company he keeps looking worse than him. msp_thumbup.gif

In the interest of balance though, at least he's not Axl Rose.. I've got a couple of opinions on him too! msp_tongue.gif

Hahaha, fair do's EA... I guess all I've got left is the hat, the hair, the clothes, the stage posturing, the 'tone faces' and the company he keeps looking worse than him. msp_thumbup.gif

In the interest of balance though, at least he's not Axl Rose.. I've got a couple of opinions on him too! msp_tongue.gif

Dont forget the boots !

Archived